AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

View Poll Results: What did you think?
Like it 2 20.00%
Love it 3 30.00%
Hate it 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickSUN71 View Post
NO, He can be an Idiot at times.. But very creative NO, Extremely Creative...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 507phantom View Post
au contraire
I had some respect for him when he first started releasing albums but he's proven time and time again that he can't control his mouth and that he's just a straight up idiot.

I will try and watch this later, I have no idea what it's about
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Geneva_Jee
Gold Member

Geneva_Jee will become famous soon enough

well to each his own. I'm a huge Kanye West fan. Sure he has a big mouth -often blurting out unecessarities and such, but who of us don't?
True, perhaps he should control his mouth since he's in the lime-light and we're not...but that's what makes kanye...KANYE.
I feel like we need an artist like that. And if you look through the musical archives, you'll see that there's always been a "Kanye West"....a brilliant artist that goes against all that is viewed to be appropriate.
It's rather unfair to judge one's art and say that it's wrong and that it should've been done this way or that way...it's THEIR art. No one is judging Monet or Picasso for their paintings; saying that they should've used "this" color or "that" color. We simply respect their art for what it is and either accept it and love it, or disagree with it and leave it be.

I have alot of respect for Mr. West as the artist that he is. He makes great music and even better beats for other great artists.
Consider some of his classics, "Jesus Walks", "Through the Wire" and "Diamonds Are Forever" - tell me those weren't great works of musical art.

I'm not here trying to defend Kanye West as a person bc I'm not qualified to do so; I am however, here defending his artistic direction as well as his audible art...otherwise known as music.

FOR SALE - Geneva KA7 Sedan In Memory of
Geneva_Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva_Jee View Post
I have alot of respect for Mr. West as the artist that he is. He makes great music and even better beats for other great artists.
Consider some of his classics, "Jesus Walks", "Through the Wire" and "Diamonds Are Forever" - tell me those weren't great works of musical art.
Well I can honestly say those songs were slightly above average to me. Not hardly a thing great about them. I have a couple of his albums and I don't listen to them hardly ever. Lupe Fiasco is better than Kanye IMO. He can produce but as a lyricist he's not that special. I listen to hip-hop for the beats and the lyrics but if there's no lyrics I might as well just listen to an instrumental. Now I'm not saying that Kanye has no lyrics, but he really isn't that great of a lyricist to me, there's tons of others I'd rather listen to. For example, you could listen to some underground artists (Little Brother, Hieroglyphics and De La Soul for example) and get true lyricism with a real message that isn't distorted by how much money they have with a dope ass beat too so that's why I stick to the underground. To me, Kanye got caught up in celebrity status. He came out trying to sound conscious but then he got all bold when he gained fame and fortune. I don't see Common with diamond teeth and interrupting awards shows, and Kanye will never be as conscious as Common either (just my opinion). Just another reason why I hate mainstream shit. Kanye was a mixed breed when he released his first album, sort of conscious but slightly mainstream appeal. And then when the mainstream status kicked in, he changed and his music fell off.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
Geneva_Jee
Gold Member

Geneva_Jee will become famous soon enough

Don't get me wrong Wes, I have plenty of underground artists that are better than Kanye on their worst day...but I feel like that's not really comparing apples-to-apples ya know. it's a completely different realm IMO.
I totally agree with you about the mainstream influence. I actually haven't been liking Kanye very much lately, which is probably why I enjoyed this movie so much. He's been in a downward spiral of bullshit. But I feel like some of his inner artist came out with this movie. Sure it has everything European and expensive in it, but that's who he is now. He got money and was able to afford some of the "finer" things in life. Sure Common may not have a dozen gold and diamond necklaces on, but I bet he lives in a dope ass house and takes care of all his kids. Kanye doesn't have any kids, he doesn't have brothers, sisters...not even a mother anymore. He kinda seems like a grown up child in that he's lost without any direction. But that's fine by me. I enjoy 75% of his music and I have alot of respect for what he came from - making beats for Jay-z and other artists, getting zer0 shine.

Kanye West is not my favorite artist, he's not even my favorite rapper. But I do like him for the genre that he's in, which is mainstream artist without much to say.
Don't get me wrong tho, I like Kanye...his lyrics may not be the best but they entertain me. He's not my God or anything. I just have respect for his craft and thought this was a dope movie.

Now if you wanna talk underground hip-hop Wes, we can go there brotha...PLEASE.
I'm sure you got some dope artists that I need to look up, and I probably have some for you too. But we can take that to PM hahha

FOR SALE - Geneva KA7 Sedan In Memory of
Geneva_Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Word, now we're on the same page for the most part. The only thing I don't quite see eye to eye is about comparing apples and oranges and being on a different realm. All of today's rap music wouldn't be possible without the pioneers of hip-hop. Over the years, it's taken turns in different directions. It's every artists choice to say "I'm gonna stray away from the roots of hip-hop and be uncreative and talk about money" if that's what they want to do. It's all up to interpretation of the person listening. I have my idea of what the best hip-hop music is and I will rate every hip-hop artist according to that standard, even if that artist went in a different direction with their style. Your definition of real hip-hop might be different. The minute you start saying "well Kanye is the best mainstream rapper even tho some other guys would blow him away" is like trying to justify why you like him. Creativity and beat making may be one way that you rate an artist, and what they stand for might be a way that I rate an artist. All up to interpretation.

Now that we're cool with that, we just have to agree to disagree on certain parts. But we agree for the most part. As far as underground artists go, yeah there's a bunch I listen to and a bunch I haven't. I enjoy finding new music and listening to it but the problem is my Ipod is only 8gb and it's full and I don't have tons of free time to always be listening to new stuff. We could probably talk for hours about all the different sub-genres of hip-hop but I'm procrastinating from studying right now and that'll just make it worse.

With that said, I watched about 25 mins of that and I couldn't really watch more. It didn't touch the bowels of my soul. It was creative but what was the point? The message? I dunno I'm not a super creative artsy person so I can't see the real meaning of it. There was some good beats and some typical Kanye style music. Above average but not terribly great. Here's another thing I've noticed, listen to Kanye's songs and listen to his style. It's nearly identical to Lil Wayne or Wiz Khalifa. I could picture either one of their voices flowing the same way Kanye does on those songs. I'm not saying Kanye is biting anyone or he's uncreative. Maybe those guys bit off him. I'm not saying it's his fault, I'm just saying I've heard it before and it doesn't sound very original (referring to the style of his delivery) and that's one reason I can't say it's better than average to slightly above average.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
living_legend
Neck Breaker

living_legend is on a distinguished road

Where can u watch the video at...I've been trying to see it these last couple days

The Build
The Pictures
living_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

Im not going to critique this as I would any other video or movie, because it is art. As one who shares a passion for art all I can say is it has no point, and it has no purpose. Its sole existence is there to evoke a feeling. Some of you guys may have a feeling that is mutual, others not so, but the feeling you get is worth the experience.

That said; I don't judge people, never have, and as a person I can't say I know kanye west, but I do know what he produces and puts his heart into, and thats his music and theatropy. He's always been avant-garde. And I dig what he does.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
ochn77
ihate city officials

ochn77 will become famous soon enough

i've never been one to judge art, i get it, and like it.

but i also have strong guidelines when it comes to speaking about what falls from the sky and talks.
ochn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Mastervtec
Stock Is Best

Mastervtec is on a distinguished road

Major Genius.

"I like your cane." Jesus's Car
Mastervtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastervtec View Post
Major Genius.
Art Is Impulsive, and I still crack up every time I see that. Mike Myers was like I don't know what the fuck this ass is tying to say but Im going to go along with it.

Chris Tucker gets on, eyes tell the whole story; WTF did he say? Got daaaaaam