AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
stevieray
Old Ass Moderator

stevieray will become famous soon enough

Sticky worthy. Consider it done.

R.I.P. Fut
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #32
devolution
crazy diamond

devolution will become famous soon enough

about that U-joint...is there anything in there that needs greased as part of regular maintenance? i did not see any old grease residue when i was cleaning mine but i know some U-joints do need to be lubed regularly.
devolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by devolution View Post
about that U-joint...is there anything in there that needs greased as part of regular maintenance? i did not see any old grease residue when i was cleaning mine but i know some U-joints do need to be lubed regularly.
It's a sealed, non serviceable unit.

-Matt
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #34
TRINIGUY

TRINIGUY is on a distinguished road

I just rebuilt my rack with a new seal kit and paid special attention to installing that bolt from the shaft to the ujoint.it's very easy to strip that bolt.I took the advice and used a new one. My steering is nice n smooth but a little firm.lovin it.

watcha lookin at foo
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
MXHalofan
Type O Master

MXHalofan is on a distinguished road

You can just thread in a longer 10mm bolt if the threads strip like Soloist was asking. Then put a nut on the end. I had the right bolt in my spare bolts bin. The only forces on this joint is the torsion of the splined collar end so there's no need to worry about the splines stipping.

I bought a legend and drove home that had a bad 6mt flywheel. Looked under there and the column was barely attached to the splines on the pinion. Way dangerous. That column slides in and out in case of an accident and it must have been bumped up during the previous clutch job, so make sure it's all the way down and fully engaged on the splines when reinstalling the rack during replacement or a clutch job.

91 Coupe LS black on black
94/95 front bumper and rear deck lid
GS wheels
MXHalofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #36
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXHalofan View Post
You can just thread in a longer 10mm bolt if the threads strip like Soloist was asking. Then put a nut on the end. I had the right bolt in my spare bolts bin. The only forces on this joint is the torsion of the splined collar end so there's no need to worry about the splines stipping.

I bought a legend and drove home that had a bad 6mt flywheel. Looked under there and the column was barely attached to the splines on the pinion. Way dangerous. That column slides in and out in case of an accident and it must have been bumped up during the previous clutch job, so make sure it's all the way down and fully engaged on the splines when reinstalling the rack during replacement or a clutch job.
Absolutely terrible, bad advice. If it strips, replace the joint! Can you please delete so no one reads it.

Thanks

Matt
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #37
MXHalofan
Type O Master

MXHalofan is on a distinguished road

LOL at you. You're the one with terrible advice.

91 Coupe LS black on black
94/95 front bumper and rear deck lid
GS wheels
MXHalofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
bluesongz
Doesn't Post Much

bluesongz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is what I did. Installed a through-bolt then a nylock threaded nut. I guess worst case is that it breaks while I am doing 90 down the freeway and I end up with interesting life experience.
bluesongz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #39
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

Quote:
LOL at you. You're the one with terrible advice.
Please explain how running a smaller, less stronger bolt that you found in your toolbox through a safety related part is good advice.

-Matt
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #40
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesongz View Post
This is what I did. Installed a through-bolt then a nylock threaded nut. I guess worst case is that it breaks while I am doing 90 down the freeway and I end up with interesting life experience.
Glad you live on the other side of the country.