AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
vayankee

vayankee is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with park, no brake lights.

The day after the car's state inspection, it went into a deep pothole (RF) and bottomed out badly. It did nor stop running, but when I turned it off and tried to restart, it started but would not come out of park. Fortunately the release worked when I stuck the key deep into the slot Acura provided for this. I had a trip of two hours roundtrip, which went fine.

I called Honda nearby and they suggested checking the brake lights. I did, and they don't work.

I just crawled under, and I can see where the oil pan had a slight scratch, and the cross plate (aluminum?) is dented just a bit near the center.

I could see no loose wires, either at the transmission or up on the firewall, near where the brake light plunger is located.

Just wondering if anyone has had such a problem and what is needed to fix it.

Thanks.
vayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

Check the cylinder (goldish color) that touches the brake pedal when you push the brake down. The small plunger on that can sometime fall off which means it won't send the required message to the shifter to let it know the brake is pressed and you are ok to put the car in gear.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
vayankee

Thanks, Ari! I will check it, and reply.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
vayankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee View Post
The day after the car's state inspection, it went into a deep pothole (RF) and bottomed out badly. It did nor stop running, but when I turned it off and tried to restart, it started but would not come out of park. Fortunately the release worked when I stuck the key deep into the slot Acura provided for this. I had a trip of two hours roundtrip, which went fine.

I called Honda nearby and they suggested checking the brake lights. I did, and they don't work.

I just crawled under, and I can see where the oil pan had a slight scratch, and the cross plate (aluminum?) is dented just a bit near the center.

I could see no loose wires, either at the transmission or up on the firewall, near where the brake light plunger is located.

Just wondering if anyone has had such a problem and what is needed to fix it.

Thanks.
Update: Apparently there is a brake light switch that may go bad itself. Also there is a circuit including the BL switch and the shifter release. There is a fuse and a relay also in the circuit, so I have plenty to check now.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
vayankee

I suspect, based only on a guess, that the drop into the pothole and the severe bottoming jolted the power train. Would that shock have been transmitted up to the console where the shifter is? If so, and I have not pulled the console apart yet, could the supporting pieces of the shifter (linkage) been bent so that the mechanism of the shifter has been affected? I have a '92 Legend also, and so I guess I could compare parts if I need to, but just wondering.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
vayankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee View Post
I suspect, based only on a guess, that the drop into the pothole and the severe bottoming jolted the power train. Would that shock have been transmitted up to the console where the shifter is? If so, and I have not pulled the console apart yet, could the supporting pieces of the shifter (linkage) been bent so that the mechanism of the shifter has been affected? I have a '92 Legend also, and so I guess I could compare parts if I need to, but just wondering.

Thanks.
Into unexplored territory here. My mechanic friend found the problem under the car. There is a "switch/solenoid" leading from the transmission, which goes up to another connection on the firewall. He pulled the lower connection apart and out came transmission fluid. So that baby is bad. He will try to clean it out and see if it works. If not, it needs a donor connector. I will report as I go along on this.