AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #31
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Rethinking my previous comment. The test for brake booster function is to apply pressure to the brake pedal while starting the engine. As vacuum gets into the brake booster the brake pedal should go down slightly ( an inch or so). If that happens the brake booster is OK. If it keeps going down there is a leak somewhere. I would replace the rear brake hoses and check the calipers next.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #32
IamPlan_B

IamPlan_B is on a distinguished road

While engine is on, I pump the pedal down fast it does seem to feel like pressure is building, just real low and if I press pedal down in normal function, I get no pressure just straight down.

I'm gonna try and look for rebuild kit for front calipers, as perhaps they aren't working right, and replace the bleeder valve. As I bleed the air with the vacuum pump, I noticed that when closed and hose connect to valve ,I could see air bubbles coming out if I pump the mityvac and when I open it , I saw that if you touch it or press it more air bubbles would come out like if maybe there is play in thread area and not sealing properly.

I'm just trying to eliminate everything that could cause this problem.
IamPlan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #33
IamPlan_B

If the front calipers are stuck, like the piston pushed out and not retracting that could be plausible with my issue, right?

Meaning I'm not getting no pressure because the pistons are already pushed out and not going back in and the little bit of pressure I'm getting are from rear brakes. I've never service these calipers in the 19 years I've own this car, I'm embarrassed to say
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #34
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamPlan_B View Post
If the front calipers are stuck, like the piston pushed out and not retracting that could be plausible with my issue, right?

Meaning I'm not getting no pressure because the pistons are already pushed out and not going back in and the little bit of pressure I'm getting are from rear brakes. I've never service these calipers in the 19 years I've own this car, I'm embarrassed to say
The caliper piston doesn't really retract when you let off the brake pedal, it just rubs the disc with less pressure. Most of the available piston movement is for the purpose of allowing it to self adjust as the brake pads wear. The actual movement of the piston during the application of the brakes is barely perceptible.

You've either still got air in the system or a leak. Maybe it's leaking into the booster?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #35
IamPlan_B

I got another used booster from a low mileage sedan and ordered the seal from dealership, and while I wait for seal to come in tomorrow, I'm gonna service my clippers, and hope everything will go well after I bleed the system again. Tomorrow
Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #36
IamPlan_B

Still no luck, have very low spongy type pedal feel, I don't what else to do.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #37
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamPlan_B View Post
Actually I wrote that wrong , just caught it. When engine is OFF, pedal is hard and firm, and when ON it goes straight down with no pressure
Is this still the case? The pedal is fine with the engine off? Usually with the engine off the pedal will not move down at all, then when the engine starts the pedal will go down a little bit, maybe an inch. If the brake booster was the problem it would normally not make the pedal go down a little bit when the engine starts.

My guess is that something is still wrong with the brake hydraulics. It seems that you replaced the front brake hoses and rebuilt the calipers. Maybe do the same to the rears.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #38
IamPlan_B

Still having very low pedal with engine on. I don't want to keep spending money on parts I don't need to replace or service. With all the work and time and money I've spent so far just to be at square one, is beyond me. I've never had a brake job or issue that I haven't been able to take care myself on either my car, or any body else's car . I don't want to take it to a brake shop and have them fix it, but I need another set of eyes to take a look and maybe catch something I overlooked