AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
IamPlan_B

IamPlan_B is on a distinguished road
Default Legend still has over heat issues

VWhen driving , coolant temp is ok until i hit some traffic that makes me slow to almost stop , and continue in stop n go heavy traffic, when the needle starts to go up to 3/4 the way up but will drop after i accelerate, then start to go back up even highér and pretty much stay there. Doesnt go all the way up , but almost.
I have bled the air out countless times, because air in is usually the culprit. I have the throttle body bypassed as well as heating system (bad heater core) in back of motor. Replaced switch that sends signal to gauge and new oem tstat. After engine shutoff the fan motors kick on but they seem like they weak or slow, i dunno.
Have a spare set of fan contol and fan timer (passenger side next to ecu and on right kick panel) and fan relays that im gonna switch to see if anything changes.
Am i missing something or have over looked something?

When i open up the bleed nipple first , i can hear a little air escaping, then remove rad cap, then squeeze upper hose to get air out, then add coolant until it shoots out of nipple then close it to prevent air going in there, start car to see if level drops then reinstall cap. Drive around block then remove cap and check level. Thats what i do like 1-2 a week

https://www.dropshots.com/Implan_b/d...2-12/13:19:31#

Last edited by IamPlan_B; 02-12-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Add video link
IamPlan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
IamPlan_B

https://www.dropshots.com/Implan_b/d...02-12/13:19:31
Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

If repeated attempts at bleeding the coolant never seem to get out all of the air, you have a leak (could be internal or external). But first, using a spill-proof funnel (Lisle LIS24680 is the common one around here) is the only method that works to get out 100% of air, so do that first. If you still end up with air in the system, you'll need to do a pressure test to locate any external leaks, and then a leakdown test to check for internal leaks.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
IamPlan_B

Where would i find this funnel?

I did head gaskets a few months ago , due to shg on #6 cylinder, theres no sign of internal or external leaks
Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

You can find the lisle funnel all over the place including amazon (about $30). Do a search and it will pop-up all over the place.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
IamPlan_B

I know this is my old post, but still have same issue. I bought a lisle funnel, and drain all the old coolant out and refill with new coolant, once full , I install the lisle funnel and fill 1/3 with coolant, run it for a while, saw a lot of air bubbles come out and had it running for a while, fans coming off and on until I felt I had out all the air.

I'm still getting temp needle going up and now its getting up higher and taking longer to drop after I accelerate. I tried burping/bleeding this system numerous times.

the heater valve and core have been bypassed because of bad core, throttle body bypassed, and replaced all hoses that I can get from dealership , so now leaking hoses. replaced head gaskets less than a year ago.

what am I missing or over looking
Old 10-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Time for a pressure test
Old 10-27-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

How old is your radiator?
Old 10-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
IamPlan_B

radiator is new, purchased in march.

now temp goes up fast and stays up the whole time I drive. went on a 40 mile drive last night (20 ea. way) and temp never went under half , stayed at 3/4 the whole drive. I burped/bled the system before I left. so does that mean I have more air in system as before?

pressure test? are you referring to a radiator pressure test, because I've never done or tried to one before on this car and I have a pressure test here
Old 10-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
IamPlan_B

reservoir bottle does not fill up as before when it suffered a SHG , and I don't smell or see any coolant in dipstick, and I don't smell it when driving. I'm not losing coolant, and no visible traces of leaks anywhere.

I've owned and worked on this car since 2000 and know my way around this car. she has 238,000 and suffered a BHG in '08 and SHG in '17 .