AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
vayankee

vayankee is on a distinguished road
Default Blower acting strange.

The fan works throughout its range but the last two times starting up the car from cold the fan /blower came on and then a few seconds later shut off. And the fan control is in the off position. This is on a '94 Legend L, not climate control.

I looked through 33 posts re: blower motor issues, but I did not spot anything like this.

Any tests I can run? Thanks.
vayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Strange. No tests that I know of. wait and see what happens next.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a couple wires are crossed. Try to pay attention to other electronics in the startup process. Does the blower motor shut off when the seatbelt beeping stops? When one of the lights shuts off on the dash?
Old 01-26-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
vayankee

One thing I have wondered about is humidity affecting connections, particularly inside the car. Here in Virginia, it gets pretty sticky except for winter. Maybe I should go through the various connections in the fan area and rub them with sandpaper.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura about

It's just as likely that the problem originates near the climate control or even further up the wire harness. I'd want a bit more information before I went on an exploratory through the dashboard. Removing the blower motor is one of the more irritating jobs to accomplish inside the car.

There's no point where the dash harness regularly moves or is exposed to the elements. Have you done any work to electronics in the dash? Radio? Cluster? Has there ever been any kind of water damage due to plugged moonroof drains or a bad heater core?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee View Post
Blower acting strange.
Have you tried asking her what's bothering her?

RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
vayankee

Default Trouble again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Have you tried asking her what's bothering her?

Excellent advice, but I don't speak Japanese. Maybe I should ask my wife (from Tokyo) to try.

Anyway, the a/c came on again about a week ago, without my request. And the engine light stayed on. The a/c shut itself off after a half minute or so, and the engine light stayed on until I shut the car off. When I started the car again after about 10 minutes, the light went out.

Then today, after the car sat for about 3-4 days, the light stayed on again, until I shut it off. I restarted about 20 minutes later, and the light went off.
I have been looking on the forum for a list of things to check, but with no luck.
Any suggestions? I saw something about a shaft (with a valve?) in the EGR system that may need lubricating. If the EGR is getting messed up, I had better get that corrected.

Thanks.

PS. I just read through this thread on EGR issues: http://forums.acuralegend.org/best-w...gr+lift+sensor
No help there for ac starting up, of course.

Last edited by vayankee; 04-28-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Found some information elsewhere to report here.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Rsanders24

Rsanders24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee View Post
Excellent advice, but I don't speak Japanese. Maybe I should ask my wife (from Tokyo) to try.

Anyway, the a/c came on again about a week ago, without my request. And the engine light stayed on. The a/c shut itself off after a half minute or so, and the engine light stayed on until I shut the car off. When I started the car again after about 10 minutes, the light went out.

Then today, after the car sat for about 3-4 days, the light stayed on again, until I shut it off. I restarted about 20 minutes later, and the light went off.
I have been looking on the forum for a list of things to check, but with no luck.
Any suggestions? I saw something about a shaft (with a valve?) in the EGR system that may need lubricating. If the EGR is getting messed up, I had better get that corrected.

Thanks.

PS. I just read through this thread on EGR issues: http://forums.acuralegend.org/best-w...gr+lift+sensor
No help there for ac starting up, of course.
I have this same issue...same model. My climate control will be switched to off and the blower comes on high. When I turn the knob to any position but max, the blower stops working. If I turn it to max then it works on High. If I let the car run for a while, everything starts working correctly.

I also get the periodic CEL that comes on like 30 seconds after starting the car. If I just turn the switch to On, no CEL. If I let it warm up 5-7 min and restart the car, no more CEL. I have checked the code and itís giving me 6.

Not sure if itís a ECM issue or something else but I donít know where to start and itís very hard to find a decent manual A/C control unit. I looked on EBay and only found one.
Rsanders24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsanders24 View Post
I have this same issue...same model. My climate control will be switched to off and the blower comes on high. When I turn the knob to any position but max, the blower stops working. If I turn it to max then it works on High. If I let the car run for a while, everything starts working correctly.

I also get the periodic CEL that comes on like 30 seconds after starting the car. If I just turn the switch to On, no CEL. If I let it warm up 5-7 min and restart the car, no more CEL. I have checked the code and it’s giving me 6.

Not sure if it’s a ECM issue or something else but I don’t know where to start and it’s very hard to find a decent manual A/C control unit. I looked on EBay and only found one.
Blower transmitter most likely the fan culprit. I have some good used ones available. Super easy to swap out. I have A/C main controllers also available.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #10
Rsanders24

Rsanders24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Blower transmitter most likely the fan culprit. I have some good used ones available. Super easy to swap out. I have A/C main controllers also available.
PM me a price for both please. This might keep me from pursuing the manual to auto A/C swap...lol
Rsanders24 is offline   Reply With Quote