AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #31
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades
 
Chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 8,550
Real Name: Chrisp
Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
Man, mine been leaking from the abs reservoir. Pushed out from the cap. I have to leave paper towels around it to catch the fluid and change every week or so. I do know they disconnected the abs module. The abs reservoir never run low but the MC do. What should I look for?
Do you know how the ABS module was disconnected? If it wasnt disconnected properly, when the abs pressurizes it wont open the valves and will cause the system to pressurize and leak out of the reservoir. The only way to truly disable the abs module would be to disconnect the computer for the abs behind the rear seat. It sounds like your module is disabled but the pump is still engaging, which is causing it to overflow from the abs reservoir.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #32
chompsterlegend
Member
 
chompsterlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 218

Real Name: Chompster
chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default

I bought it like that. What i do know is the abs module behind the seat is disconnected. So how should I go about fixing this? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Do you know how the ABS module was disconnected? If it wasnt disconnected properly, when the abs pressurizes it wont open the valves and will cause the system to pressurize and leak out of the reservoir. The only way to truly disable the abs module would be to disconnect the computer for the abs behind the rear seat. It sounds like your module is disabled but the pump is still engaging, which is causing it to overflow from the abs reservoir.
__________________
chompsterlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #33
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades
 
Chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 8,550
Real Name: Chrisp
Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
I bought it like that. What i do know is the abs module behind the seat is disconnected. So how should I go about fixing this? Thanks
Are you sure the computer is disconnected? Does the ABS light come on? Can you hear the abs pump cycle shortly after starting the vehicle or shortly after the vehicle starts moving?

If the ABS light does not come on and you do not hear the abs pump cycle shortly after starting your car or moving it, then the computer is disconnected correctly and that would point to a problem with the modulator valves not being fully close. If those valves are not fully closed then pressure from the main braking system is leaking fluid pressure into the abs causing it to push fluid out of the ABS reservoir. If this is the case then replacement of the abs modulator with a known good one would solve your issue as Alan stated.

If the ABS light is on and you hear the pump cycle on start up or shortly after moving the vehicle, then the computer is not disconnected correctly and the abs check cycle is pressurizing the abs system and the valves are not opening on the modulator causing the pressure to leak from the abs reservoir.

As with anything, being hands on, eyes on with symptoms is easier to diagnose, especially when dealing with the ABS. If you are familiar with the abs connectors, you may want to ensure they are all connected (all abs connectors are orange colored). If the abs light illuminates with everything connected properly, extract the abs codes the same way you would extract check engine codes. Knowing the fault code could help diagnose the problem with your abs system more accurately.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #34
chompsterlegend
Member
 
chompsterlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 218

Real Name: Chompster
chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks a million for the explanation. No sound or abs light. I guess my next step is to go shopping at pick n pull again. Of course it's like a box of chocolate...lol. Thanks again. Pretty sure I'll have more questions to come when I get a abs unit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Are you sure the computer is disconnected? Does the ABS light come on? Can you hear the abs pump cycle shortly after starting the vehicle or shortly after the vehicle starts moving?

If the ABS light does not come on and you do not hear the abs pump cycle shortly after starting your car or moving it, then the computer is disconnected correctly and that would point to a problem with the modulator valves not being fully close. If those valves are not fully closed then pressure from the main braking system is leaking fluid pressure into the abs causing it to push fluid out of the ABS reservoir. If this is the case then replacement of the abs modulator with a known good one would solve your issue as Alan stated.

If the ABS light is on and you hear the pump cycle on start up or shortly after moving the vehicle, then the computer is not disconnected correctly and the abs check cycle is pressurizing the abs system and the valves are not opening on the modulator causing the pressure to leak from the abs reservoir.

As with anything, being hands on, eyes on with symptoms is easier to diagnose, especially when dealing with the ABS. If you are familiar with the abs connectors, you may want to ensure they are all connected (all abs connectors are orange colored). If the abs light illuminates with everything connected properly, extract the abs codes the same way you would extract check engine codes. Knowing the fault code could help diagnose the problem with your abs system more accurately.
__________________
chompsterlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades
 
Chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 8,550
Real Name: Chrisp
Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
Thanks a million for the explanation. No sound or abs light. I guess my next step is to go shopping at pick n pull again. Of course it's like a box of chocolate...lol. Thanks again. Pretty sure I'll have more questions to come when I get a abs unit.
No problem, that's what we are here for. Id be real interested in knowing what was causing your initial abs issue that caused the previous owner to disconnect the abs. In an ideal situation you would want the abs connected and working correctly. The 2 most common abs faults I have seen with the G2 Legend is either a bad abs wheel speed sensor or an ABS pump overrun condition from a bad abs pump or a leak in the main abs pressure hose from the pump to the modulator.

Thats not to say I havent seen problems with the abs valves in the modulator or a bad modulator, they are just less common. I have gotten pretty well versed in abs and braking issues where I live as the weather conditions and road salt play a huge factor in brake issues up here. Even old brake fluid can cause some serious issues if it hasnt been maintained and changed regularly. Of course the age of our old ladies are starting to play a factor now as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #36
stephen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,016
stephen is on a distinguished road
Default

I replaced the ALB modulator on my 90 Legend (with a used one) and this seems to have solved the problem of brake fluid leakage from the regular brake reservoir.

I also found the following which explains how to take apart the modulator on the second generation legend. There are a number of o-rings that need to be replaced. At some point I may try taking the original one apart to replace the o rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTzxKum55Q
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #37
stephen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,016
stephen is on a distinguished road
Default

useful link

http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan...rebuld_v02.pdf
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #38
stella
SIX SPD
 
stella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,364


Real Name: Jeff Plunk
stella is on a distinguished road
Default

Pulled the heat shield from the ABS modulator and snapped a few pics. Still cant find a leak even with the wife pumping and holding the breaks. Pedal does feel a bit soft but no ABS light. Going to clean the area with engine degreaser and chase the leak. Thinking im going to have to pull the entire unit and replace it. Anyone have the special ABS bleeder tool to loan out?








You can see where the leak is dripping under the car and has eaten off the undercoating.

__________________

Last edited by stella; 02-17-2017 at 02:28 PM.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #39
MarcD
Low mileage nutso
 
MarcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: central NJ
Posts: 1,447




MarcD is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm thinking the rubber hose there that is connected to the pump is leaking or perhaps the seal at the motor. I'd pull that whole assembly out (yeah it's a bit of a PIA), and replace it. I have a unit that functions fine if needed. When out of the car, you can pre bleed it without the special wrench and then install
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #40
stella
SIX SPD
 
stella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,364


Real Name: Jeff Plunk
stella is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
I'm thinking the rubber hose there that is connected to the pump is leaking or perhaps the seal at the motor. I'd pull that whole assembly out (yeah it's a bit of a PIA), and replace it. I have a unit that functions fine if needed. When out of the car, you can pre bleed it without the special wrench and then install
Thanks! PMed you.
__________________
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking Brake Fluid White Rider 92 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 25 01-11-2017 08:09 PM
Alb brake fluid foaming Fukurou 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion 11 05-30-2016 03:04 PM
Front brake line and brake fluid bleeding Fukurou 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion 12 10-16-2015 07:13 AM
92 legend leaking brake fluid hondalegend91 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 3 01-07-2015 02:26 PM
ABS unit leaking brake fluid Donald 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 0 12-31-2011 12:49 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

AcuraLegend.Org is not affiliated with, nor represents in any form, Acura and Honda Motor Company. Some logos and names used herein remain the trademark of Honda Motor Company.