AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #21
Espada

Espada is on a distinguished road

I've had similar problems for a bit now. Having to top off the master cylinder frequently and leaking from the ABS. If the ABS reservoir is always full, esp past normal max level and the MC needs constant replenishing. Then you def have an internal leak in the ABS. Not only are there other threads discussing, but pretty much common sense, esp because you stated finding fluid on top of ABS reservoir. Losing fluid in one reservoir and gaining/overflowing/leaking in the other. If it had been any of the main brake lines you would have known because of air entering the system, reducing brake performance; which if not bled can lead to catastrophic failure. No air in system is because you have an internal leak; external ones will trap air. You can just leave your car parked for a week to a month and if no fluid loss in the MC and no fluid on top of ABS, then you have your answer. An external leak will still leak, although at a much slower rate than when force/pressure is being applied. All that being said, it is possible that it may be a compound problem and you can have both internal and external leaks, although it seem to def have an internal one. My 2 cents GL
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
stella
SIX SPD

stella is on a distinguished road

I haven't had time to pull the car out, jack it up and get under it or remove the heat shield from the ABS but i just went out this morning from it sitting a couple of days and snapped a few pics. I will further inspect this weekend when i don't have my hands full with my kid. I did refill the resivouir and had the wife pump the brakes but saw nothing.

No leaking from the master:

This is the master reservoir after a couple of days

As you can see the ABS reservoir is at the max level and has stayed there, no fluctuation.

you can see that its a little wet looking down from the top:

Also leaking down the passenger frame rail along this line:

Here is the ABS manifold where the hard lines connect. a tad dirty:
Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #23
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

The wet spot seems to be at the bleeder screw.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #24
91RosewoodBrown
Legend Enthusiast

91RosewoodBrown will become famous soon enough

My situation is so so similar. Same "moist but not dripping wet" ABS unit, and slow leak MC
Old 01-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #25
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
Yes, good catch, Ari. I looked at a couple I have here, and that area is dry as a bone.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #26
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Yes, good catch, Ari. I looked at a couple I have here, and that area is dry as a bone.
If it were leaking at the bleeder screw on the ABS module, then the ABS reservoir would be losing fluid and not the brake MC. Any leak from the ABS module, accumulator pump, or the pressure hose for the ABS would leak fluid from the ABS reservoir as it is isolated from the main braking system. The fitting and line for the pass front wheel, run directly above where the bleeder is. Its more likely that the pass front hard line is leaking where is bends to the frame rail and dripping onto the module.

Jeff, it looks like your issue is the same as what mine was, a small leak in the front passenger hard line from the abs module to the front passenger wheel rubber hose. It almost looks identical to the leak I had. Only difference is, mine didn't saturate the ABS, it was further down the line and saturated the frame rail.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #27
DonaldR

DonaldR is on a distinguished road

I am here in Phoenix, AZ and during the summer when it's nice and toasty the ABS would not leak. Soon as the weather got cool it would start to leak. The seals in the ABS unit get stiff (old) and they start to leak. If you feel around both ends of the top of the ABS you will probably find your fingers wet with fluid. The master cylinder will go down but not the ABS reservoir. I replaced it with a used unit but it still leaks a bit. Would love to get it rebuilt, but.....? Don
DonaldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #28
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post
I am here in Phoenix, AZ and during the summer when it's nice and toasty the ABS would not leak. Soon as the weather got cool it would start to leak. The seals in the ABS unit get stiff (old) and they start to leak. If you feel around both ends of the top of the ABS you will probably find your fingers wet with fluid. The master cylinder will go down but not the ABS reservoir. I replaced it with a used unit but it still leaks a bit. Would love to get it rebuilt, but.....? Don
Then it wasnt the abs that was leaking. If any part of the abs leaks, the ABS reservoir will drop. You have to understand that the abs and the fluid for it are completely independent from the normal power assisted brakes. The valve body on top of the ABS modulator can leak from the seals or the o-rings, and those seals are serviceable. I have not encountered an issue with that on the Legend, ever. Its usually a line or line fitting causing fluid loss from the MC and leaking onto the ABS unit.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
chompsterlegend

chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road

Man, mine been leaking from the abs reservoir. Pushed out from the cap. I have to leave paper towels around it to catch the fluid and change every week or so. I do know they disconnected the abs module. The abs reservoir never run low but the MC do. What should I look for?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #30
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

If it is not the metal lines or fittings coming into the ABS, easiest thing to do is swap out the ABS assembly with a good one.