AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Ok yeah then it sounds like probably one of the rubber hoses at the bottom of the ABS unit is leaking. I'd pull the whole unit out (bit of a PIA) and see. Your issue with the unit being dead is likely old fluid plugging up the pump. It can be fixed by taking the pump assembly apart. I've done it and have a spare unit that is tested good I can part with. Or Alan I know has also done it and probably has one to sell too.
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
stella
SIX SPD

stella is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post

Is the ABS light on? Does the ABS engage prematurely? Does the brake pedal feel soft or low?
No light, no code, ABS seems to function properly, brake pedal feels fine, no pressure loss, might feel a tad soft, cant tell. Have to fill the reservoir daily now and the puddle has gotten bigger. Going to take off the heat shield and look around. Possibly one of the hard lines to the manifold or the high pressure rubber line. Strange that i see fluid on the top from what i can see at the moment. Worried that it might be the seal but not loosing any fluid from ABS reservoir.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
I have had a slow leak draining my master brake fluid reservoir ... The ABS reservoir is not loosing fluid ...it is a little wet on the top of the ABS unit ...
I thought the hydraulics of the two systems (regular brake system, Anti-Lock Brake system) were completely separate. I don't think fluid can travel from one system to the other. If so, the leak must be in the regular system rather than the ALB system.

Am I mistaken?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #14
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLedbetter View Post
I thought the hydraulics of the two systems (regular brake system, Anti-Lock Brake system) were completely separate. I don't think fluid can travel from one system to the other. If so, the leak must be in the regular system rather than the ALB system.

Am I mistaken?

-Kennon
That's the impression I have too. As I posted above I am having a similar problem with my 1G Legend. From some other posts on one of these forums it seems that if some of the seals in the ALB modulator fail then brake fluid from the regular brake system can leak out from the ALB modulator. Normally the two systems are separate.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I've heard of that happening before also.p
Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #16
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLedbetter View Post

Am I mistaken?

-Kennon
During normal braking conditions they are indeed separate. However, if one of the valves on the modulator were to leak or be stuck in between one of its 3 settings, then the 2 systems could exchange fluid from one to the other. This is why I asked if his pedal felt soft or if the ABS was engaging or if there was an ABS light on. If the valve was indeed leaking his pedal would have a soft feel and in most cases would cause the ABS pump to go into an over run condition and trigger the ABS light.

So at this point given his answer to my question, I think we can rule out the valves on the modulator. I dont think any of the hard lines are leaking either because if they were he would have a soft pedal, so we can likely rule those out. Which means we can also rule out anything down stream of those too.

It sounds more and more like it is leaking either from the seal on the ABS pump, the pressure hose for the pump or possibly even on the modulator itself is leaking.

Just to be clear, you are having to refill the ABS modulator reservoir and not the actual brake master cylinder, correct?
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
stella
SIX SPD

stella is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post

Just to be clear, you are having to refill the ABS modulator reservoir and not the actual brake master cylinder, correct?
No I am having to refil the brake master reservoir. The ABS reservoir is fine.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #18
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
No I am having to refil the brake master reservoir. The ABS reservoir is fine.
Then your problem is def one of the hard lines or fittings. One of the hard lines going into or exiting the ABS modulator. I'm sorry I mistook your post, I went back and saw you said master cylinder and now I feel kinda dumb .

So the leak sounds to be coming from one of the hard lines going into or coming out of the ABS modulator. If the modulator or pump for the ABS were leaking, the fluid in the ABS would need to be refilled. Since you're refilling the master cylinder, it will be the lines from the master to the ABS modulator, or the lines that exit off the ABS modulator and go to each individual wheel.

If its one of the lines from the master cylinder to the ABS module, those are available from the dealer still pre bent with fittings.

If it is one of the lines that exits the ABS modulator and goes to each individual wheel, you will need to buy a roll of brake line and some fittings and make your own replacement brake line. IIRC its a metric bubble flare and 3/16 brake line. I dont recall the fitting diameter or thread pitch off hand, but if you have a vice and drill, you can drill the flare off the old line and re-use the old fittings, which is often what I end up doing.

I had a slow leak in my hard line that runs from the module to the rubber hose at the passenger wheel and had to fabricate a line. Not. Fun. Its extremely tight to be working with a line wrench around the fitting on the ABS module. You have to be very careful to not break any more of the lines. My leak was on the portion of line that runs along the passenger front frame rail that runs directly behind the passenger wheel well. Ironically, also the same wheel well that I had to replace the fender liner in 2 years previous. Probably not a coincidence.

Anyways, check those hard lines out before the leak gets worse and you lose the brake pedal from rapid pressure loss.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #19
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

PS, if you have to make your own brake line, I recommend using a coated line to protect it from corrosion. It will be a royal pain in the butt to flare with a hand flaring kit, but it can be done. I ended up buying a hydraulic flare tool just for coated brake lines, because we fabricate ALOT of them up here in the rust belt. They are expensive to buy outright though. If you know someone who owns one or rents one, I highly recommend using one of those vs trying to flare it with a hand flaring kit. The hand flaring kits sometimes crimp or kink the line around the flare funny, which will make the fitting and sometimes the flare a pain to deal with. The line can slip really easily though the holder unless you crank the heck out of it to hold the line too, which is frustrating. The hydraulic tool makes almost perfect flares every time. Youre already going to be fighting with the fittings to remove and install the lines, no use struggling trying to make the flares too. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
91RosewoodBrown
Legend Enthusiast

91RosewoodBrown will become famous soon enough

I ran replacement lines to the rear (rusted lines), 3/16" rings a bell. I used the manual tools to make the double flares, probably made 50 practice flares first with a success rate of maybe 20%

I'd maybe tighten the nuts holding the lines going into and out of the ABS unit first, but with needing to refill every day, I'm surprised you don't notice a loss of brake pressure.