AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
stella
SIX SPD

stella is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Leaking brake fluid (from master) under ABS

I have had a slow leak draining my master brake fluid reservoir for some time but until now have not been able to tell where it was coming from. It recently got cold in texas and i noticed clean, clear brake fluid leaking from the passenger side from under the ABS module. Now that i have another vehicle the legends sits in the garage. The ABS reservoir is not loosing fluid and the brake pedal seems fine. From what i can see it is a little wet on the top of the ABS unit as well as below the reservoir. Not much room to see. I plan on removing the heat sheild to get a better look. Haven't found much info regarding this problem other that it possibly being the short, rubber, high pressure hose. Im also guessing that the entire ABS unit needs to be removed to service, replaced then bled. Any info or insight would be helpful.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
I plan on removing the heat sheild to get a better look..
Until you do that, it is all guessing.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

It's possible for the ALB modulator unit to leak brake fluid resulting is fluid loss from the regular brake master cylinder. I have a similar problem on my 90 Legend. As I understand it
brake fluid should not intermix between the conventional brake system and the ALB system but if seals fail in the ALB modulator that can happen. The fix would be to replace the ALB modulator with a rebuilt one but that is about $1K. It is supposed to be possible to reseal the unit as well.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
JahJah

JahJah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JahJah Send a message via Yahoo to JahJah Send a message via Skype™ to JahJah

I'm suffering the same exact issue. I have to add brakes fluid once or twice a month depends on how I drive.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Are you sure some of you aren't leaking fluid into the brake booster?
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
JahJah

JahJah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JahJah Send a message via Yahoo to JahJah Send a message via Skype™ to JahJah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post

Clear fluid leaks from/ near the front right tire, I just took a look and it's coming from up under the plastic protector cover. I'll pull that tomorrow. Brake boost is clean and dry, so is the reservoir.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
stella
SIX SPD

stella is on a distinguished road

Quote:
100% sure. This would be the first place I checked. Have a nice puddle under the passenger side of the unibody behind the wheel underneath the ABS. Also it's running down the frame rail and dripping off the front near the bumper.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Ok sounds like that's eliminated then
Kind of a little stumped. If your ABS reservoir was dropping then I'd think it was one of the rubber hoses down around the pump etc.. Thinking it must be one of the hardlines that run over to the MC..?
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ok sounds like that's eliminated then
Kind of a little stumped. If your ABS reservoir was dropping then I'd think it was one of the rubber hoses down around the pump etc.. Thinking it must be one of the hardlines that run over to the MC..?
You should definitely look at the hard lines and fittings that go into the ABS module and follow them for as far as you can visually see them. You may also want to jack up the vehicle and inspect the lines under the car and the rubber brake hoses as well. The seal for the ABS module itself could also be leaking fluid. I know it seems obvious, but also check the cap and make sure it is sealed well onto the reservoir. To Alan's point, you're going to need to remove that heat shield to get a good look. You may need a mirror to look under and around things, it's tight quarters around the ABS.

Is the ABS light on? Does the ABS engage prematurely? Does the brake pedal feel soft or low?
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Last edited by Chrispy; 01-09-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In my case that was my first thought. However, I replaced the master cylinder and there was no indication of brake fluid in the brake booster. There is a puddle
of brake fluid in front in the region of the abs modulator and evidence brake fluid has been getting on the paint in that area. As soon as the rain stops I plan to look for a used abs modulator. I don't care if the abs works, it's been disabled for more than a decade. The car is not safe to drive at present. I'm having to add brake fluid daily.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote