AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #41
ZwinWon
Banned

ZwinWon is on a distinguished road

Nothing to see here

Last edited by ZwinWon; 12-10-2016 at 05:53 AM.
ZwinWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #42
mweber88

mweber88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mweber88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZwinWon View Post
Is the Honda ATF bit true? I just drained and filled with OEM Honda ATF with a brand new filter and gasket...
Yep, it's true. Do yourself a favor and drain as much of that fluid as you can and refill to correct level with the fluid specified by Matt earlier in this thread.

You may even want to refill it with the specified fluid, run it for about 2 minutes to mix it with the stuff that wouldn't drain from the torque converter, drain it again and refill it with the specified fluid. When you drain the trans, a lot of fluid stays in the torque converter. You want to get as much of the correct fluid in, so the way to do that is to mix it with what you want to increase its concentration.

It's similar to this:

100% Honda ATF at start
Drain 50% (since some is left in the converter)
Refill with spec fluid, now 50% spec, 50% Honda ATF
Drain 50%
Refill with spec fluid, now 75% spec, 25% Honda ATF
Drain 50%
Refill with spec fluid, now 87.5% spec, 12.5% Honda ATF

You'll never get all the other fluid out unless you use other means to drain it completely, so each time you take out 50%, you only get 1/2 of the existing amount of Honda ATF. You'll have to determine the concentration with which you feel comfortable.

HOWEVER...

If you or the dealer didn't do any more than drain the old fluid and replace what was drained, you're not starting at the 100% Honda ATF at the beginning of that scenario. You'd be more like starting at the 50/50 line.

I hope this helps!
mweber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #43
ZwinWon
Banned

ZwinWon is on a distinguished road

Nothing to see here

Last edited by ZwinWon; 12-10-2016 at 05:53 AM.
ZwinWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #44
mweber88

mweber88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mweber88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZwinWon View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot for this info! I definitely want to get as much out as possible what else can I do? I changed my filter and gasket so if I drop the pan again and even the filter because I saw a lot come out when I pulled the old filter and do that maybe twice then just drain and fill maybe twice will I be more in the 90% range? I'd personally feel much more comfortable at that range but I guess 87.5% isn't bad lol. This is my only car so I really need it to work very well for as long as I can keep her goin.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Well, the percentages are just estimates. The best bet is to find out the trans' dry fluid capacity... in other words, its actual capacity, or what it would take to fill it if it were brand new and dry. Then, you already know how much you had to put back into it when you changed it, and find out what that ratio is, then go from there.

However, if you drop the pan and filter and get as much out as you can, I'd say doing that twice will get you to a good place. Also, if you do it with the front end of the car elevated versus on a flat lift, some more fluid will come out of the torque converter.

Good luck!

Mike
mweber88 is offline   Reply With Quote