AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #41
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist View Post
Important Question below:

Ok, going out on a limb here but, other than maintenance of the EGR system and a PCV oil catch can, just wondering if an auxiliary EGR flow detection system could be integrated into the the Legend ECU, something that could trip Code 12 by using a sensor that uses the same range of voltage as the EGR valve lift sensor. Perhaps that could be tied in together or used instead of that particular sensor. That way at least the EGR compensation maps would be bypassed appropriately, to PREVENT damage.
Holy long post batman, thanks!

Just from thinking about it, the algorithms that would be used to check for EGR flow without a false positive would be enormous! It would be nearly impossible to implement something like that within the ECU considering its lack of free space and the sheer number of variables that are encountered. It would actually be more feasible to make an internal "test" in where the EGR is commanded on briefly on occasion and changes to intake vacuum and/or idle are monitored.

-Matt

P.S. Thanks for the word that was on the tip of my tongue yesterday when I was writing that - "herniated". I changed it from "smooshed" lol.

Last edited by sr5guy; 04-04-2011 at 08:01 PM.
sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #42
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

I'd like to add one more important fact here that may seem obvious to some. If you have a clogged EGR valve and aren't able to clean right away, or you have the EGR deliberately blocked, disconnect the lift sensor. Yes, you'll get a CEL but you wont risk damage from running the compensation maps. In the future I may offer the ability to disable the EGR and the compensation maps with a chip - but for now I just don't have the time to do them.

-Matt
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #43
BluBrett

BluBrett will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to BluBrett

Thanks for the answers! I guess tomorrow I'm going to ask my engine swapper if the EGR valve was cleaned at the time of the swap. How long does it generally take for a person to remove, clean, and put the EGR back in?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #44
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBrett View Post
Not trying to be a jerk and prove you wrong, considering I know nothing about engines or how they break, but:

BHG #1: ~130,000 miles. Engine repaired.

BHG #2: ~195,000 miles. Engine swapped.

ALL scheduled maintenance was done (doesn't say EGR was cleaned, but says 30K, 60k, 75K, etc. services were performed), so unless the dealership was incompetent/ ripping me off, the EGR was inspected/cleaned as it should have been. Or maybe I just had a bad engine? Any other ideas as to why my HG's kept blowing?

Edit: Also, let's say someone has a 250,000 mile Legend that hasn't had BHG before, but the EGR had never been cleaned or inspected. If they were to clean their EGR and nothing else was about to cause BHG, would that prevent a BHG, or would the damage already be done?
Only some dealers and garages do regular EGR service.

I recently went through some paperwork for a 97RL and noticed that Southern Motors (Savannah, GA) and Ed Voyles Acura (Chamblee, GA) did regular EGR service to that car (looked like Matt's 60K recommendation).
Many customers will not purchase the upsales and that's where EGR services get skipped. They are not cheap and don't fit into most customers' "if it ain't broken don't fix it" mentallity. In this case broken may be the BHG. Though the service gets recommended and passed up by many, a failed NOx on the EMI will bring a car back to the shop for the cleaning.

Matt, I appreciate the time and thought you put into this thread. I believe the BHG scare and frequency we see needed to be addressed with cause and responsibility. Most BHG prevention responsibility really does ride on the car owners. The shops have become sensitive to Honda's 3.x carbon/EGR issues but too many customers fail to heed the call and shops are scared to push it and come across as thieves.

Pay me now or pay me later I used to always say... "now is cheaper."

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #45
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Nino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nino418

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBrett View Post
Thanks for the answers! I guess tomorrow I'm going to ask my engine swapper if the EGR valve was cleaned at the time of the swap. How long does it generally take for a person to remove, clean, and put the EGR back in?
Its not just the egr pipe, its the whole manifold. Its a job that will take a few hours if done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyumyum View Post
Still makes me laugh when I think about it. "I am ze nurse. Ve do vant zhe legends to do ze overheatinggss. "
R.I.P
Nino418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #46
BluBrett

BluBrett will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to BluBrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino418 View Post
Its not just the egr pipe, its the whole manifold. Its a job that will take a few hours if done properly.
Oh, then that was most likely done when my engine was swapped. That was about 30K miles ago, so I should still have 30K to go?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #47
Geneva_Jee
Gold Member

Geneva_Jee will become famous soon enough

just because the engine was swapped, doesn't necessarily mean that they took the time to check or even clean the egr passage...just food for thought

FOR SALE - Geneva KA7 Sedan In Memory of
Geneva_Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #48
Legend-Coupe
Let that V6 breathe!

Legend-Coupe will become famous soon enough

this is a super read matt!

It would be really cool to see how EDM/JDM legend compare to this egr problem, since we run higher octane fuel. I guessing running low grade fuel will only hasten the egr problem
Legend-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #49
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboticon View Post
Anyway, fantastic job by you (and Q if he helped with this part)
I don't believe I had anything to do with it, but thanks for the honorable mention anyway!
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #50
MondiVTEC
light that shit!

MondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura about

excellent write up. rep'd

91 Sedan Cobalt Blue on Type A Partout CLICK HERE!

92 Coupe Black on Type F Partout CLICK HERE!

2004 RL Silver on Type F Partout CLICK HERE!
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote