AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #61
Juicemon
Juicey

Juicemon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Juicemon

Funny because my car started scaring me the other day and it looks like this is the issue, but I was in acura just yesterday and he had no problem getting the bolts and washers. I didn't purchase it because the u-joint is like 170...lol I'll get it all eventually but that car will be resting for the summer I have more pressing things with the new one...
Juicemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #62
jaysKA7

jaysKA7 is on a distinguished road

so this is why my steering wheel is crookede ? i had my steering rack replaced and when i got it back they said it was my alignment, went to get my alignment done - they said my rack was on wrong, so i got that fixed, now i need an inner tie rod, i ordered all new inner/outter tie rods, gonna replace them this saturday, should my steering wheel be strait after that ? its about (almost) a 1/2 turn to the right, and i been driving like this for months now.
jaysKA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #63
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

Sounds kind of like the rack wasnt straight with the steering wheel when the yolk was attached. Honestly a good alignment shop should be able to fix that. If the car goes straight and doesn't pull you can remove the steering wheel and line it up properly like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #64
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysKA7 View Post
its about (almost) a 1/2 turn to the right, and i been driving like this for months now.
If your rear B radius arms are bent, that will cause this to happen. You can just look a them and see if they are bent or not. The skinny bar that is in the rear of the rear hub and attaches to the back of the rear sub frame is the B radius arm. When they tow Legends on flat-beds, they put the tow hook on them and bend the hell out of them.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #65
jaysKA7

jaysKA7 is on a distinguished road

thanx for all responses, put the new inner/outter tir-rods in, adjusted, got my 1/8 inch tow, got my steering wheel as strait as its gonna get, was gonna b a cheap-ass and do a at-home alignment, but ill save it for the pros !
jaysKA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #66
One6DSwifflY
Brooklyn Memba

One6DSwifflY is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5guy View Post
This is the method that I use for re-installation so that there is no pressure put on the universal joint that could cause it to bind:

Install both tie rods and the passenger's side bracket and tighter.

Center the steering wheel and center the front wheels the best you can (push up on the left side of the rack to prevent geometric distortions from the hanging rack)
Install the universal joint on the column shaft with a NEW factory bolt. Leave the bolt loose and the joint able to slide up and down the shaft.
While holding the rack up with your left hand, slide the universal joint onto the rack stub shaft. Fully bottom the joint out on the shaft and with a light inspect to see that the bolt key way is properly aligned with the bolt hole. Install a NEW factory bolt and star washer from the dealer in the bolt hole and tighten a few turns (don't tighten it all the way).
Line up the bolt holes on the bottom of the rack and install the stiffener (the aluminum plate with all of the 14mm bolts in it). Do not use an impact gun on the bolts as it will strip the soft aluminum subframe and do irreparable damage.
After the stiffener is installed go back and tighten the two new bolts you installed in the universal to the proper torque.

-Matt
So, is this a nessesary step when changing tie rods or a preferred method to changing the bolts & washers on the universal joint? I ask because my universal joint's boot has been ripped since my purchase just over 3 years ago, making it harder to turn due to no lube. My tie rods need replacing due to play (can't pass inspection) so I want to know can I change the universal joint along with the tie rods in the process?

"This 1 is for BROOKLYN! Land of da Crooks, home of my dame..." do ya research!!
One6DSwifflY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #67
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

In order to remove the universal joint the rack has to be loosened and dropped slightly. Changing the tie rods has no bearing on that job so expect to pay a lot more to have that done. Personally I don't think that joint will make your wheel turn harder. If that joint is bad I have seen it to cause play or make a noise when turning. That issue of turning harder sounds more like the rack or power steering pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #68
ZizouGrape

ZizouGrape is on a distinguished road
Default Mint 1994 LS coupe White for sale 98k

What's up guys I have a 1994 Acura legend LS coupe pretty mint condition. What happened was the timeing belt ripped I had it replaced but now just cranks and cranks I lost 756$ on that job. I'm selling this girl I took care of really good for 1500$ it's the perfect project for anybody all you need is new valves I guess I'm located in flushing queens I would do a swap but just don't trust these lazy NYC idiot mechanics and don't want to lose out. Although I would never eve r sell her il just let her go. Text me il send more pics 929-335-1982 my email is Akademiks786@gmail.com I garantee you'll love this car
ZizouGrape is offline   Reply With Quote