AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
The Crowing

The Crowing will become famous soon enoughThe Crowing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing Send a message via Skype™ to The Crowing
Default Manual Swap Spacers!

I know a lot of you have been anxiously waiting for this, and it's *finally* here.

Well, the prototype is, anyway. I'll throw in some pictures to do the talking:

Here's the drawing, measuring, and math stage:

Here's the fabricator doing a little grind to fit:

And a finished and primered product:

Installed:

Now, keep in mind that the first one is always a little off. We'll be testing this piece for a few days and noting what may or may not need to be changed. Everything is looking good right now, and I'm very happy with it. It's amazing the difference it makes over a flimsy stack of washers.

My fabricator and I sat down and talked potential and prices, and here's where things *roughly* stand:

We're going to do this in kit form, and a kit will include three high quality, high grade bolts, washers, and the spacer. The best guess we can offer on price at the moment is $70-$80 shipped. We like to aim high with price, too, so there's a great chance that number will come down a bit, especially after I weigh a boxed up kit for shipping.

So... who's interested?

EDIT:

This is the problem you encounter when you swap from automatic to manual:

[Img]http://forums.acuralegend.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=743&d=1516254885o/img]

EDIT AGAIN:

Here's the final version, with a bevel cut into it for extra shift linkage clearance, and a cut-out centre:

Hidden:

Original post and links....

I know a lot of you have been anxiously waiting for this, and it's *finally* here.

Well, the prototype is, anyway. I'll throw in some pictures to do the talking:

Here's the drawing, measuring, and math stage:

Here's the fabricator doing a little grind to fit:

And a finished and primered product:

Installed:

Now, keep in mind that the first one is always a little off. We'll be testing this piece for a few days and noting what may or may not need to be changed. Everything is looking good right now, and I'm very happy with it. It's amazing the difference it makes over a flimsy stack of washers.

My fabricator and I sat down and talked potential and prices, and here's where things *roughly* stand:

We're going to do this in kit form, and a kit will include three high quality, high grade bolts, washers, and the spacer. The best guess we can offer on price at the moment is $70-$80 shipped. We like to aim high with price, too, so there's a great chance that number will come down a bit, especially after I weigh a boxed up kit for shipping.

So... who's interested?

EDIT:

This is the problem you encounter when you swap from automatic to manual:

EDIT AGAIN:

Here's the final version, with a bevel cut into it for extra shift linkage clearance, and a cut-out centre:

Last edited by sam o nela; 01-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.
The Crowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
edcypha
Need a new job

edcypha is on a distinguished road

im interested in a manual swap but I have no clue what this is for.

Who God Bless, No Man Curse - B. Levy
edcypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
The Crowing

The Crowing will become famous soon enoughThe Crowing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing Send a message via Skype™ to The Crowing

When you swap from an auto to a manual, there is just under 2" of gap between the end of the manual transmission, and where the rear mount bolts into the frame of the car. Reason being, automatic transmissions are just a bit longer than manual ones. This spacer helps to bridge that gap in a ridgid, reliable, all-in-one piece.

I'd have a picture of it installed, but I ran out of time and light to do so. Expect an update tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Alperovich
The Stig

Alperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the rough

i'm down. i've been wanting to get one made for a while now, it would also help my stripped threads not back out like they b/c of the my spacers (and a 2" steal tube>2" worth of spacers, as far as performance/feel )

94 KA8 DMM LS 6spd "MISTY" 2017-present
94 KA8 Milano LS 6spd "Milano" 2012-2017 RIP stupid camry
94 KA8 SGM LS 6spd "Annie" 2008-???*top secret*
94 KA7 DMM GS auto "Misty" 2008 RIP
93 KA8 GBP LS 6spd 2005-2008 RIP

FOR SALE:dotORG + I<3myLegend(KA/KB) stickers! +more
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
The Crowing

Definitely. Washers will wiggle, flex, move around, and it may even be the cause of your bolts backing out. The washers may actually be spinning ever so slowly, or else just squishing and causing you to lose bolt torque.

Won't happen with these babies!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
edcypha
Need a new job

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crowing View Post
When you swap from an auto to a manual, there is just under 2" of gap between the end of the manual transmission, and where the rear mount bolts into the frame of the car. Reason being, automatic transmissions are just a bit longer than manual ones. This spacer helps to bridge that gap in a ridgid, reliable, all-in-one piece.
ok so did how did it come out from the factory with the MT's were the mounts different or what

Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
The Crowing

Manual Legends just had the holes drilled and tapped closer to the engine. If you were to swap in an auto to a manual car, you'd find that the mount would seem "pushed back" two inches, i.e., it wouldn't go in due to the extra length of the transmission itself.

My pictures tomorrow will point to the spots drilled for the different cars, and it'll all make sense.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
edcypha
Need a new job

coolness

Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
bighauslegend

bighauslegend is on a distinguished road

This is great it will make everything alot easier and more durable. Im very interested if I can get the money to do a swap.
bighauslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
The Crowing

Just let me know if you want one. We're going to go ahead and make another one tomorrow, about an 1/8th" longer (just a bug we needed to work out) and a jig so we can make these all identical. Unlike the 3.5 mounts, we don't need any parts from anyone, and there's no turnaround. Pretty much, if you pay early enough, we can mail you one out that day, or the next morning.