AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 12-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
radieon
What the Diff

Default If you've decided to part out a car, what was your deciding factor?

I have a little bit of overhead in my driveway, so I was wondering at what point did you decide to part a car out rather than scrapping. Any responses other than new family members are welcomed.
radieon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

The way I did it; took a lot of pics of the car. Asked if anyone needed anything, and pulled once paid for. After two weeks, I then scrapped it. The better condition Legend you have, the more you can get for parting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
radieon
What the Diff

My question is, why did you choose to part out a car rather than repairing it? I'm sorry if the wording was not clear in the above question.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

The rust on the quarter panels was my final draw. The amount of money for a real repair and full paint wasn't within my budget.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
LarryLegend

LarryLegend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyabish1 View Post
The rust on the quarter panels was my final draw. The amount of money for a real repair and full paint wasn't within my budget.

Rust is a deciding factor for many. A paint job can run between 2000-10k depending on quality. And the rust may or may not come back. If the rust does resurface, even if the shop offers a warranty on their work, they will be blending the paint so it's not obvious they repainted just one area.
Soif you have a rust free shell with good paint, or even just a rust free shell that you're willing to pay for paint, it's likely a good candidate to continue building. Motor work can be upwards of 3000. Last quote I got for seats to be reskinned in leather was $1800.
LarryLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
radieon
What the Diff

I'll admit, my car isn't the best candidate for a car show. With that being said, I'm not paranoid about any nicks or scratches since the clear fail is spreading from the roof of the car and the front bumper isn't lined up exactly. I have a paint fade attempt on my car on the passenger side that blended at the crease on the rear. I'll have to put up pictures to show exactly what it looks like (still looks like) but at the time, I just wanted a 5-speed.