AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing

Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
scheibler

scheibler is on a distinguished road
Default To compound or not to compound? Is our paint "too soft?"

Ordering a Griots Garage 6" orbital buffer, a 5" backplate, and 5.5" pads. Plan on using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Wax. Just not sure if our paint is too soft to compound? I have swirls, water marks, and paint chips all over the car. It's a white 93 Legend GS

I figured I'd compound with a medium polish pad, then polish with a polishing/finish pad, and wax with a finish pad. But I don't want to use the compound if the paint is too soft. I know I won't "burn" through the paint with an orbital, but I don't want to be too aggressive
scheibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

There are a few things here that I need to clear up.

First and foremost, Legend paint is not "too soft", but like any car that is 17-21 years old, you should take extra care not to harm it, especially if you have clouded, faded, or chipping clear coat.

Second, the Meguiars products you are using do not contain any type of abrasive and will likely not give you the results you are seeking.

Third, an orbital WILL burn through paint, however a dual action/random orbital polisher will not. But with both, if you dont know what you are doing you can harm your paint finish.

The key to any amazing finish lies in the surface prep. Removing the old waxes and contaminants in the paint with a good wash and clay treatment, then proceeding to compound steps, polishes, glaze, and waxes/sealants.

It seems like you have questions about a very broad subject matter. Here is some useful links to help you seek answers.

Here is some info about your polisher

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...-polisher.html

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

This is a complete guide, choose only what you need

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Last edited by Chrispy; 12-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
BluBrett

BluBrett will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to BluBrett

Make sure your car still HAS the original paint. My repainted panels were very cloudy and are even SOFTER than OE Honda clear coat. I made them look new, but they thinned out very, very fast and are now failing more than ever. Sometes a glaze is your best friend on your daily driver.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Andyrst
Refinement Engineer

Andyrst is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Andyrst Send a message via Yahoo to Andyrst

which WHITE do u have? Frost or Pearl? It makes a difference, on how you treat it.
Andyrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

There are 3 white colors Andy. Sirius and Pearl are mutli stage, Frost is single stage. And there is literally zero difference in how you treat them. Please leave this to the pros who have done a lot of this.

BTW, no such thing as a white 93 GS.....
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Last edited by Chrispy; 12-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
scheibler

No such thing as a white GS 93? I have a white 1993 Coupe type ii 6spd with all the bells in whistles...thought that was a GS?

Anyway i work for a mobile detailer so I know how to detail a car or even use a rotary for that matter. Bought a DA polisher though. Was worried the paint might be too soft. Plan on washing, claying, buffing with ultimate compound and a cutting pad, polishing with a polishing pad and ultimate compound, then hand waxing. I know my paint is not all original as it doesn't match perfectly at the doors and back
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
GrtOutdoorsAZ
Well Wisher

GrtOutdoorsAZ will become famous soon enoughGrtOutdoorsAZ will become famous soon enough

GS trim is only on sedans, fully loaded coupes are denoted LS

Sig by DG
GrtOutdoorsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

You have a 93 LS Type 2 coupe, sirius white pearl. The GS is 4 door trim only and only offered on 94-95 sedans.

I really wouldnt use Meguiars ultimate compound, it literally has zero cutting properties. All it is, is a glorified paint cleaner, its not a compound at all. You can use it with a cutting pad, but you will waste your time, you will literally get no cut. In short, ultimate compund doesnt "cut it", pun intended.

For a white pearl white Legend I have a tried and true method that gives the best results.....

First wash with a dawn dish soap and water to strip away all the grease and dirt.

Next clay the entire paint surface.

Next step, use a diminishing or micro abrasive scratch removing compound. I have 2 that are my "go to" compounds for this...

Wolfgang total swirl remover 3.0 http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-tot...l-remover.html

Pinnacle advanced swirl remover http://www.autogeek.net/pin220.html

Use either of those with a Lake Country CCS Orange cutting pad.

After that you will want to use a polish with a fine diminishing or micro abrasive.

One of my favorite is the Meguiars M205, this stuff finishes GREAT http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html

Apply this with a CCS Lake Country white buffing pad.

Next you will want to apply a layer of glaze....

Poorboys white diamond show glaze is the BEST for white finsihes, meguiars show car #7 glaze is also a godo alternative if you cannot find the poorboys http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-whi...how-glaze.html

Apply with a white Lake Country CCS pad.

Last step is the wax. I dont like to use liquid or paste wax until after I have use a quality sealant. Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 is by far the BEST http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Apply with a blue Lake Country CCS pad...

If you still want an extra "pop" that will add depth and gloss to the finish, after sealant apply a layer of carnuba paste wax without a cleaner. I like Meguiars yellow #26 pinnacle XMT 180 and Nattys blue.

This approach will hands down give you the best finish for your car, and the finish should hold about 3-6 months depending on your climate and how often you hand wash your vehicle.

If you need any testimonials as to my approach, ask around, many members have tried my approaches with great results and you will be hard pressed to find another member who has detailed as many Legends as I have.

Last edited by Chrispy; 12-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
scheibler

Will i be fine just buying one pad for each process and using the on the fly cleaning method?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

I usually keep a bucket of hot water and soak my pads in that. I have a dirty and clean, clean pads stay in clean water, dirty pads obviously in the dirty water. I use a different pad for each different product I apply. It makes for a halogram free finish every single time. I normally will do the top first then rinse the pad, then repeat after each side I finish. Keeping a moist pad helps you use less product. In between rinses I use spray detailer to keep the pad moistened. This also allows me to use higher speeds and work much quicker. The key is to get good rotations out of the pads, thats when the products you are using are the most effective. Make sure you are using good quality microfiber towels to remove your products as well, this will allow for a streak free wipe down as the fibers will pull away the product without getting caked up. I also use seperate towels for each step. Im very much a perfectionist.