AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all
Thumbs up RDX Injector Upgrade & SR5GUY RealTime ECU Tuning = 10Hp, 12Wtq!

The RDX injectors offers a better spray pattern and atomization than most injectors and are a popular upgrade with the k-series Honda crowd. I installed the injectors at the Long Island meet two weeks ago and noticed almost an immediate improvement even after only 5 minutes of street tuning! The increase in low end torque feels incredible. There is one thing the dyno can't show and that is throttle response. Cruising power and throttle response have also improved dramatically. Cruising with this car is a joy now, no more downshifting to 5th gear on the highway . I really want someone to come and drive the car so that they can describe it in there own words!

The RDX injectors atomize better with high fuel pressure. Instead of dropping $150 on a adjustable FPR, I found a website that described crushing the case of the (any) stock fuel pressure regulator slightly to increase fuel pressure. This wasn't happening with the stock Legend fuel pressure regulator though, because the vacuum line comes out right where you need to crush it. Hmm... What else will work? RL Fuel Rails! Turns out the RL FPR has a side exit vacuum line and a dead straight body. I simply spread the jaws of my table vice, placed a 4mm socket in the dimple on the FPR and tightened the vice until the socket traveled into the FPR about 2mm. Lo and behold, I got the fuel pressure right where I wanted it on the first try (55psi).

I had a dyno appointment today at 5:00 at Forced Induction Motorsports in S. Windsor CT. Unfortunately, I forgot to install my intake and change the spark plugs as I planned before the dyno. With all of the experimenting with the new injectors I flooded the motor twice probably fouling them. Also, I had a small fuel leak I had to fix at the dyno and I had to fix a calibration issue with my on-board wideband sensor which took up most of my 1 hour of dyno time. We got a few runs in today but I was still was making more power with subsequent tunes on my last run. Even under these circumstances we still managed to show a substantial gains OFF OF SOLELY THE INJECTOR UPGRADE! Note that the A/F ratios are nearly identical between the two dyno runs, this power is purely from the better atomization of the fuel! I probably will be going back to the dyno within the next few weeks to finish up my tune.

Mods for baseline dyno run (7/29/11):
3.5 Hybrid W/ Type II Intake & Intake
Weapon R intake (borrowed from Chrispy)
OBX Headers with straightpipe and universal remus muffler
6Speed Trans w/ 5spd Flywheel & Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Stage 3 Ignition maps, custom tuned fuel map

Mods for second dyno run (3/29/12) same as above, except
OEM Intake with K&N air filter and resonator delete (probably limiting peak HP by ~1 or 2WHP)
RDX Injectors, Increased Fuel Pressure
Custom tuned ignition maps, custom tuned fuel map

All tuning was done in real time with the stock ECU and my custom definition. The injector dead time (battery correction) was corrected before tuning the fuel maps. I scoped out the injector pulsewidth with a Snap-On Vantage and came up with a formula for injector pulsewidth. This allowed me to come up with another formula for injector duty cycle. Timing was also tuned to the new fuel maps. Shown in the screenshot is a new dashboard layout I set up for tunerpro.

I found and set up an awesome tuning feature of tunerpro - history tables. These are tables that work off of datalogging and record live values in a table referenced by RPM and Load. The tables are the same size as the fuel and ignition maps. If you log wideband values, you can tune fuel. If you log short term fuel trims, you can tune part throttle fuel maps. If you log knock correction you can tune ignition timing. The list is endless. Shown in the screen shot is the history average log of wideband values plotted in a 16x20 table. Notice the right lower vertical column follows the A/F graph in the above dyno .

-Matt

Last edited by sr5guy; 03-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

i want that ecu!

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
bsmooth1027
grill master

bsmooth1027 has a spectacular aura aboutbsmooth1027 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bsmooth1027

i drove it before nd after def made a big difference in low and top end power imho that car is fast i mean very fast
Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Thetick
Dale

Thetick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Thetick

Thats wat i been waiting to see

The One and only (Poncy) Sh*ts getting real, real f*cking fast
Thetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

I will gladly drive your car when I'm out there in the next week or 2. We're gonna def be speaking about upgrading injectors too! Nice work as always Matt! You continue to impress me with your findings, knowledge, and experiments. Keep it up! Can't wait to see ya and check out all the new developments.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
midtownman

midtownman is on a distinguished road

Nice matt I guess its taking me this long to do my swap for a reason
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Thetick
Dale

Thetick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Thetick

I also drove it while he was doing he's tuning at the meet and i also know how it felt before the injectors, and i will say there is a differences, u can feel it to the way the car response when i got on it and even when i didn't. Now i cant tell because the tuning wasn't fully done, but until i drive it again this wil deff be an up grade i will be looking into doing. Good work Matt.

The One and only (Poncy) Sh*ts getting real, real f*cking fast
Thetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Legendracer
currently "building"

Legendracer is on a distinguished road

This helps my decision on injectors. Just need a tune
Legendracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

Good to see the cat is out of the bag Matt. Stats are looking good, I know you wanted a little more but hell this is awesome!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
91ls 3.5
I'm coming!!

91ls 3.5 will become famous soon enough

Yeah so looks like down the line I'll be buying 6 RDX injectors!!!