AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing > Body Repair and Other Paint Projects

Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 Acura TL - Nighthawk Black

Technically, my first full-car paint job. I wanted the convertible to be my first...but circumstances beyond anyone's control prevented that from being the case, so this will have to do.

Day 1:

Removed door handles, side mirrors, navi antenna, roof strips, emblems, both bumpers, headlights, taillights, side markers, side garnish (skirts), and various other parts.

Sanded the roof and primed it.

Day 2:

Shot the roof.....

Sanded the side garnishes and rear bumper while the roof cured, got 'em primed, then started sanding door handles and whatever else I could find while paint dried.....

Day 3:

Masked off the fresh roof, started prepping the front end. Had to replace a fender, straighten some frame metal behind the bumper, align the new fender and new headlight, test fit a new front bumper, then sanded and primed the hood and other fender.

While that primer dried, I sanded the primed rear bumper and shot it...

Day 4:

Day 4 was crazy at the shop, and didn't get much booth time in. Still, I got out there and sanded down my primed front end, and got it shot that night...

While that cured, I got the door handles, mirrors, and nav antenna primed. Then went ahead and sanded the primer on the side garnishes and got them painted.....

Day 5:

Sanded down both quarter panels and trunk lid, filled several dents, block sanded some areas, and eventually got some primer on all that. This doesn't sound like a lot of work, but some very time consuming masking work is involved with quarters if you don't want to see tape lines when you're done (I have intentionally left out pics of this masking technique I use to get "invisible" tape lines, sorry, but I have to keep some things secret)....

Day 6:

Block sanded over the primed quarters and trunk lid, more masking/prep, and shot the rear quarters and trunk lid...

And that's where I am today, planning on heading out shortly to paint the mirrors, handles, etc. Once the fresh paint is cured enough to mask, my next task is to paint all 4 doors, then the body is DONE. All I have left after that is shooting the new front bumper, which will be eeeezy peeeezy! I will then wetsand just a few areas where some trash got in the clear surface, and this TL should look quite factory after a good once over with the polisher.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
canucks

canucks is on a distinguished road

Well done.. attention to detail. Why did the owner want to repaint it?
canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
SickSUN71
DEUS EX MACHINA

SickSUN71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to SickSUN71

Yo, Evan.. That Looks Damn Good.. I mean Yes you did a Good clean repaint...
One...
Fut :2cool:
SickSUN71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
"Chopped"
Currently Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks View Post
Well done.. attention to detail. Why did the owner want to repaint it?
It was rough. The whole front end had deep chips and scratches all over the place, like they made a habit of tailgating dump trunks carrying gravel, LOL. Lots of bird droppings had eaten through the clear on the roof and trunk. It had some collision damage to the front end, and had to replace the passenger fender and headlight along with related brackets. Also the driver's side quarter panel had previous paint work that was peeling off and looked horrible. The rear bumper also had been re-painted once before (on the car) and was peeling. It didn't even look like they sanded underneath all the paint that was peeling. This was a car from our lot. we took it on a trade-in. The guy wanted to buy the car with a paint job figured into the loan...I just said OK, and started painting away.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
legend93g2
Improving WHP

legend93g2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to legend93g2

Very nice work!
legend93g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
"Chopped"
Currently Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickSUN71 View Post
Yo, Evan.. That Looks Damn Good.. I mean Yes you did a Good clean repaint...
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend93g2 View Post
Very nice work!
Thanks dudes!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
daveCFPrez
54102-SP0-A00

daveCFPrez has a spectacular aura aboutdaveCFPrez has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chopped" View Post
(I have intentionally left out pics of this masking technique I use to get "invisible" tape lines, sorry, but I have to keep some things secret)...
Oh, Oh, I think I know! LOL We had to rework both engines the other day, and one of the guys was able to talk the lead into fine lining the offending panel out, and doing "a thing" with the tape.

Good stuff! And YES sanding (correctly) takes up a truck load of time.

"I find quite often that the "offer I can't refuse" is pretty easy to refuse." rwheadon

Trying to sell something that is in "mint" condition? Please read here: http://forums.acuralegend.org/showpo...39&postcount=1
daveCFPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
canucks

canucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chopped" View Post
It was rough. The whole front end had deep chips and scratches all over the place, like they made a habit of tailgating dump trunks carrying gravel, LOL. Lots of bird droppings had eaten through the clear on the roof and trunk. It had some collision damage to the front end, and had to replace the passenger fender and headlight along with related brackets. Also the driver's side quarter panel had previous paint work that was peeling off and looked horrible. The rear bumper also had been re-painted once before (on the car) and was peeling. It didn't even look like they sanded underneath all the paint that was peeling. This was a car from our lot. we took it on a trade-in. The guy wanted to buy the car with a paint job figured into the loan...I just said OK, and started painting away.
Its a shame people can beat up a fairly new car so badly. hopefully the new owner treats it a lot better cause thats a lot of hard work you just put into it right there. job well done. looking forward to more pics
canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
"Chopped"
Currently Building

Day 7:

...Was a Sunday. I only worked 3.5 hours unmasking some things, cleaning up, and sanded down the doors for primer....

Also did some re-assembly: taillights and rear bumper are on and looking good (the color difference you may see in this pic is just dust on the quarter)....

Day 8:

Got the mirrors and door handles shot first....

Then got the doors shot with primer and sanded them down after a lunch break...

Once the doors were finally prepped, it was time to paint 'em up...

Cumulative actual hours worked on this car at this point: 49

Just need to shoot the front bumper now. It's a new skin, already primed, and should only take a couple hours in the morning to scuff and shoot.

Then it's time for polishing...and some PICS!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Bigboy
Acuraholiks Member!

Bigboy will become famous soon enoughBigboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bigboy Send a message via Yahoo to Bigboy

This is how a quality paint job is done! well done man.....