AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing > Body Repair and Other Paint Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #21
smokinfastlegend
Gone.
 
smokinfastlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 1,318

smokinfastlegend will become famous soon enoughsmokinfastlegend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to smokinfastlegend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chopped" View Post
Also, the DA has never been able to polish out wetsanding jobs. Tim Taylor says, "More POWER!"
If my friend bryan gets in this bmw with water spots, i will show you wetsanding being removed with a Griots Garage 6" DA.

As far as removing everything that a rotary can remove, you will be surprised to see what kind of defects can be removed with a DA.

I cant justify a beginner with a rotary because there are too many variables that will burn paint or cause damage when the machine walks on them even at low speed. Not enough polish, too long a working time, off center pad all will affect the finish. On top of that, i dont expect a beginner to know how to finish out hologram free on a rotary.
__________________
smokinfastlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
Ablest31
Member
 
Ablest31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 399

Ablest31 is on a distinguished road
Default

I was thinking about getting me one of the buffers from autogeek.com. What do you guys think about the stuff on that site?
__________________
I'm in that LS looking real coupe ish
Ablest31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades
 
Chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 8,550
Real Name: Chrisp
Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablest31 View Post
I was thinking about getting me one of the buffers from autogeek.com. What do you guys think about the stuff on that site?
That is where I purchase 95% of my detailing supplies. Make sure you price check with eBay and Amazon.com to get the best deals. I just purchased a Flex XC 3401, and autogeek wasnt the cheapest price. I saved about $22.

Pretty much all the stuff you see on autogeek is the best of the best when it comes to the detailing world. What I like the most about autogeek is, they test a wide variety of products BEFORE they endorse them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades
 
Chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 8,550
Real Name: Chrisp
Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chopped" View Post
So back to the original question... should the threadstarter buy a $125 DA? Or should they get the cheap rotary from harbor freight?

My answer is the cheap rotary, as long as it has variable speed. Keep the speed low, and there is low risk burning paint.

If they have a bigger budget, buy a DA.

But you simply can't expect to remove everything you could have if you used the high speed rotary.

This Lexus was an 09 that SHOULDN'T have needed heavy-duty polishing, but when I've painted and wetsanded the hood, and I need the rest of the car to be as shiny as the now-better-than-factory hood, the DA was just not cutting it....pun intended.


Also, the DA has never been able to polish out wetsanding jobs. Tim Taylor says, "More POWER!"
Sorry for the multipost, just caught this.

I have had great success polishing out wetsanding marks with a DA. As long as your DA is capable of getting good rotations and as long as you are using quality compounds, and stepping down compound grades, the marks come right out. Granted a rotary will give you faster working time. But I have also learned that faster, is not always better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #25
"Chopped"
Currently Building
 
"Chopped"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 538


"Chopped" is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinfastlegend View Post
If my friend bryan gets in this bmw with water spots, i will show you wetsanding being removed with a Griots Garage 6" DA.

As far as removing everything that a rotary can remove, you will be surprised to see what kind of defects can be removed with a DA.

I cant justify a beginner with a rotary because there are too many variables that will burn paint or cause damage when the machine walks on them even at low speed. Not enough polish, too long a working time, off center pad all will affect the finish. On top of that, i dont expect a beginner to know how to finish out hologram free on a rotary.
I think I forgot to mention that time is important for me. I can't afford to spend all day trying to get a car polished with a DA....and I'll bet you can get wetsanding polished up with a DA.....if you have all day. I don't.

As far as getting hologram-free results with a rotary.....it just comes easy for me I guess. All I can suggest is using a less aggressive pad and polish.

But once again, in the spirit of this thread, staying on topic, I still suggest they buy the cheapest buffer they find with variable speed....which is going to be a high speed rotary.
__________________
"Chopped" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
smokinfastlegend
Gone.
 
smokinfastlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 1,318

smokinfastlegend will become famous soon enoughsmokinfastlegend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to smokinfastlegend
Default

2 other places to look for detailing supplies is also detailedimage.com along with detailersdomain.com. On detailers domain, phil gives you i think like 20% off your first purchase with coupon code "newbie"
__________________
smokinfastlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #27
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades
 
Chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 8,550
Real Name: Chrisp
Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chopped" View Post
I think I forgot to mention that time is important for me. I can't afford to spend all day trying to get a car polished with a DA....and I'll bet you can get wetsanding polished up with a DA.....if you have all day. I don't.

As far as getting hologram-free results with a rotary.....it just comes easy for me I guess. All I can suggest is using a less aggressive pad and polish.

But once again, in the spirit of this thread, staying on topic, I still suggest they buy the cheapest buffer they find with variable speed....which is going to be a high speed rotary.
Slightly off topic, but, I noticed you are in Nashville. I am in Memphis 1-2 times per month, and Nashville is only a 2 1/2 hour drive down 44. I'll have to hit you up sometime when I am down there. Id like to shoot the breeze with ya, I always like getting insight from other detailers. It's funny, as meticulous as us detailers are, we all have our own preferred way of doing things. Not to say any way is wrong, but I do like getting other opinions and picking up new tricks and sharing tricks Ive learned.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #28
"Chopped"
Currently Building
 
"Chopped"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 538


"Chopped" is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Slightly off topic, but, I noticed you are in Nashville. I am in Memphis 1-2 times per month, and Nashville is only a 2 1/2 hour drive down 44. I'll have to hit you up sometime when I am down there. Id like to shoot the breeze with ya, I always like getting insight from other detailers. It's funny, as meticulous as us detailers are, we all have our own preferred way of doing things. Not to say any way is wrong, but I do like getting other opinions and picking up new tricks and sharing tricks Ive learned.
Absolutely. And I have never intended to make anyone feel like I'm saying, "You're wrong!" Because there really are more ways to skin a cat. I simply speak from experience as a full-time detailer in the business for six years now. Going to be doing less detailing now tho...painting seems to be where the money is for me.

Feel free to stop by my shop...

www.accuratecars.com
__________________
"Chopped" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #29
Aking
Senior Member
 
Aking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,598



Real Name: A King!
Aking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aking
Default

Good info here guys, I see there are a lot of different opinions. I think I'm going to get a HF buffer and do some playing around on some of my uncles old Junkers.
__________________


www.daytonohioautodetailing.com
Aking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
Bigboy
Acuraholiks Member!
 
Bigboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,981

Bigboy will become famous soon enoughBigboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bigboy Send a message via Yahoo to Bigboy
Default

I bought my HF buffer/sander when I was refinishing my bay window. I noticed that it speeds up on it's own, something anyone thinking of buying should be aware of.

They do have a digital model maybe it doesn't have that issue.
__________________
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need the trunk spring tool KA-Chow! 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 63 01-21-2018 07:03 PM
Fun new tool! smokinfastlegend Detailing 9 07-11-2011 08:59 PM
What tool do you use? 94LegendaryAcuraGS The Water Cooler 6 06-15-2010 01:17 PM
Goodbye Black & Decker Handy Buffer ActionJackson Detailing 19 06-09-2010 05:39 PM
Buffer Arrives, Coupe Plays Guinea Pig Captain Slow Second Gen Legend Gallery -- 1991 - 1995 24 06-14-2009 07:24 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

AcuraLegend.Org is not affiliated with, nor represents in any form, Acura and Honda Motor Company. Some logos and names used herein remain the trademark of Honda Motor Company.