AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing > Body Repair and Other Paint Projects

Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Aking

Aking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aking
Default WTB: Buffer Tool

Ok, I want to purchase a buffer to give my car a good detail and get the blemishes out on the paint. What is a good economical tool to buy? I was thinking about getting something from Harbor Freight.

I dont need any expensive professional grade buffers, just something that will get me a decent finish.

www.daytonohioautodetailing.com
Aking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Dont bother with harbor freight, their buffers are junk. You can purchase a porter cable 7424 for about $115-$125 bnib. In order to get blemishes out of the paint, you need a good buffer as well as the right rubbing compounds, polishes, glazes, and wax.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

I was just about to create this thread...you beat me to it.

From what I read Dual Action is best for someone getting into machine polishing. Random Orbital is better and faster, but it can easily burn through paint, so only experienced detailers use those.

Everyone seems to love the porter cable so I'm leaning towards that, but there's the whole myrad of pads, polishes, compounds, ect that I have to figure out.

Watch the video on here: http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

What sort of pads/polishes should I look into getting? Autogeek likes pinnacle/wolfgang, and I've never used those brands before. Our Lexus LS400/GS400 paint is in very good/excellent condition and it only needs minor polishing before wax, but the Legends have a good amount of swirls, and the white one has a lot of oxidation (I think--It's hard to tell with white paint). I still haven't replaced the hood after hitting the deer, so I can practice on that before moving on to the rest of the car and the hood I eventually buy.
[The Legend] stops like a fat kid for twinkie... Hondas have REAL brakes, not like Toyota, who can't make proper brakes and a good turning radius if their lives depended on it
WTB: G1 LS Sedan Fuel Sending Unit, Heater, & Tan Drivers side knee panel- PM me
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

It's hard to burn paint with a random orbital buffer I think its the rotary which what you wanted to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0 is my favorite finishing coat, awesome stuff and protects 4-6 months. Offers the deep gloss of a hard carnuba with all the benefits of a synthetic sealant.

As far as polishing. Poorboys SSR line and Meguiars M105 and M205 are great affordable polishing compounds.

If you arent as confident removing swirls or cant remove them completely, Poorboys Black hole show glaze is excellent for dark colored cars as well as red cars, and the Poorboys white diamond show glaze is excellent on light colored cars.

For polishing pads, you will want to use a Lake Country CCS orange pad for swirl removal, CCS Lake Country white or black pad for applying polishes and glazes, and a CCS Lake country blue pad for applying sealants and waxes.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Quote:
It's hard to burn paint with a random orbital buffer I think its the rotary which what you wanted to mention.
Just caught that. Dual action polishers are random orbital and offer the easiest use without fear of burning paint.

Full orbital or rotary polishers spin at a much higher rpm and can burn through clear coat quickly in the hands of someone who doesnt know how to properly use one.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

Quote:
whoops, but you know what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0 is my favorite finishing coat, awesome stuff and protects 4-6 months. Offers the deep gloss of a hard carnuba with all the benefits of a synthetic sealant.

As far as polishing. Poorboys SSR line and Meguiars M105 and M205 are great affordable polishing compounds.

If you arent as confident removing swirls or cant remove them completely, Poorboys Black hole show glaze is excellent for dark colored cars as well as red cars, and the Poorboys white diamond show glaze is excellent on light colored cars.

For polishing pads, you will want to use a Lake Country CCS orange pad for swirl removal, CCS Lake Country white or black pad for applying polishes and glazes, and a CCS Lake country blue pad for applying sealants and waxes.
Thanks for the polish/pad suggestions...I'll look into those. I may PM you for some more advice. I'll probably end up buying them at the beginning of my next credit card billing cycle :P
[The Legend] stops like a fat kid for twinkie... Hondas have REAL brakes, not like Toyota, who can't make proper brakes and a good turning radius if their lives depended on it
WTB: G1 LS Sedan Fuel Sending Unit, Heater, & Tan Drivers side knee panel- PM me
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
daveCFPrez
54102-SP0-A00

daveCFPrez has a spectacular aura aboutdaveCFPrez has a spectacular aura about

griotsgarage.com has a good orbital buffer. I know one of the best professional detailers here in Wa. state uses it.

"I find quite often that the "offer I can't refuse" is pretty easy to refuse." rwheadon

Trying to sell something that is in "mint" condition? Please read here: http://forums.acuralegend.org/showpo...39&postcount=1
daveCFPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
BluBrett

BluBrett will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to BluBrett

I have a rotary. It got my paint to what I would say is "excellent" condition, but it's nearly impossible to get it hologram-free and I burned 2 edges. Wish I bought a DA.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road

First off, let me explain that I've done it all....

Second, let me clarify about Random Orbit / Dual Action buffing....they are the same. They spin while they move back and forth, and they are not considered high-speed polishers.

High Speed (rotary) polishers remove scratches much faster and better than RO/DA buffers, but require higher skill levels to prevent burning the paint.

Now for the thread topic...which buffer do you want to do your car? The Harbor Freight $35.00 high-speed rotary, but make sure you get one with variable speed so you can slow it down until you get a good feel for it. I've detailed professionally for years now, and I use the cheap buffer from Harbor Freight...but I've been through about three of them. One day I'll buy a Makita, but the only difference is longevity.

I also own the Porter Cable DA...which ran me almost $300. I rarely use it. Typically I use the high speed rotary with a heavy cutting pad to remove the scratches (also using a heavy cutting compound). Then I go over it with the Porter Cable and a light cutting polish to make sure there are no buffer swirls.

That being said, I recommend the average noob should use the cheap Harbor Freight buffer with a medium or light pad, and a light cutting polish (or one-step wax/polish). Grab a heavy pad if you want to get some deeper scratches out, but if your finger nail catches on the scratch when you drag across it, it's probably too deep to buff out.