AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing > Body Repair and Other Paint Projects

Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #31
T-Clyde
Canter-Buried Alive

T-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the rough

Dude your work is solid. Very very Impressive. I know I've asked before but what brand/line of product do you use?
OEM Parts for Sale
RIP
Maintenance > Modification
T-Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #32
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Clyde View Post
Dude your work is solid. Very very Impressive. I know I've asked before but what brand/line of product do you use?
Typically Omni Plus, which is a PPG product. Omni High Solids clearcoat does great for most jobs. For nicer jobs like the Lexus, I'll step up to DBC 2000 clear. It seems to wetsand and polish a little better than the Omni clear.

Don't confuse Omni Plus with regular Omni. Omni Plus is ALWAYS a much better match, and can be tinted to match sun fade. I only use the regular Omni to paint wheels and stuff that doesn't have to be body-matched.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
"Chopped"
Currently Building

Painted these badges for Erik...Erik, I'm finally done!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #34
clynt101

clynt101 will become famous soon enough

hats off to you bro. Propps on all the work, especially the "try coat" my last two acuras have been white pearls and that shit is hard to match.

do you tint them in the sunlight by eye and then spray a test panel, or do you just rely on the mixing machines??? aka dupont, etc.
clynt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #35
"Chopped"
Currently Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynt101 View Post
hats off to you bro. Propps on all the work, especially the "try coat" my last two acuras have been white pearls and that shit is hard to match.

do you tint them in the sunlight by eye and then spray a test panel, or do you just rely on the mixing machines??? aka dupont, etc.
You just said a mouthfull, lol...

I don't mix my own paint, but I can tint when I order the tint separately....so what I do with pearls: When I order the paint I tell them to leave the base coat light and send me the tints separately, which are usually a yellow and a black...then I can add those later IF it needs to be darkened. I go ahead and spray a test card with the (light) base and pearl and clear. Cure. Compare.

If the card looks way too light compared to car, then I might darken the base...

If the card is just a tad too light, then I give the next card an extra coat of PEARL and see what that does....sometimes that's all you needed was an extra pearl coat to darken it, but sometimes that comes out too yellow, so you go back and try to just tint the base a little bit.

So basically I try the cards until I get it right. Very rarely do you need to tint the pearl coat, at least I've never had to. Either lightening or darkening the base...or adding more pearl coat to get slightly more yellowing/darkening effect.

Of course, if someone just pays the extra money to blend the adjacent panel, all this is not really necessary, lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #36
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

so do you want to paint my car and make it "fresh"?

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
Qs91Coupe

Qs91Coupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
got a place to stay? i'll come down and have u paint my legend
Ditto. If you were in Memphis surrounding area I would have a few places to crash. I need to get online and do some pimpin in your area. lol

Check out my 4 sale thread:Click here!!
Qs91Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #38
"Chopped"
Currently Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
so do you want to paint my car and make it "fresh"?
Yes. Yes I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs91Coupe View Post
Ditto. If you were in Memphis surrounding area I would have a few places to crash. I need to get online and do some pimpin in your area. lol
There is a Ramada next door to our shop, and a Quality Inn on the other side....take your pick! lol
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #39
clynt101

clynt101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chopped" View Post
You just said a mouthfull, lol...

I don't mix my own paint, but I can tint when I order the tint separately....so what I do with pearls: When I order the paint I tell them to leave the base coat light and send me the tints separately, which are usually a yellow and a black...then I can add those later IF it needs to be darkened. I go ahead and spray a test card with the (light) base and pearl and clear. Cure. Compare.

If the card looks way too light compared to car, then I might darken the base...

If the card is just a tad too light, then I give the next card an extra coat of PEARL and see what that does....sometimes that's all you needed was an extra pearl coat to darken it, but sometimes that comes out too yellow, so you go back and try to just tint the base a little bit.

So basically I try the cards until I get it right. Very rarely do you need to tint the pearl coat, at least I've never had to. Either lightening or darkening the base...or adding more pearl coat to get slightly more yellowing/darkening effect.

Of course, if someone just pays the extra money to blend the adjacent panel, all this is not really necessary, lol.
Touche'

I was just curious. Ive never attempted to tint pearl... but I have painted serveral pearl white bumpers and they are my least favorite. lol. At the previous body shop were I worked they had state of the art stuff and the base colors were never a match... I always had to have their veteran painter tint them himself.

The best luck ive had is with Colorrite paint. Just did a 91 ninja back to factory color and the white base was a great match.

Whatever ur method, its working. stuff looks great man!!

clynt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
"Chopped"
Currently Building

^That's some clean masking work, looks good!