AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road
Default Valve Cover Gasket

Hi everyone,

My car is leaking oil and I need to replace the Valve Cover Gasket. My question is, is it difficult to replace? or replacing it could damage other parts from the engine? Any idea on how much I need to pay for this?

Thanks in advance
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Aking

Aking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aking

Its not too bad of a job, I think just 4 nuts hold them on (2 per side). You'll have to remove the coil packs and I think theres another plastic cover to remove too. The only thing about replacing valve cover gaskets with the motor in is being able to hold the gaskets in the valve cover while you install them. They like to fall out and may not seal properly. I got a little frustrated with it the last time I did it, but I eventually got it.

It helps to put a little RTV Gasket Maker (I used blue) to a few points on the valve cover just to kinda keep the gasket stuck to the cover while you install it. You may have to move some wires and stuff out of your way. Just make sure you go around with a flashlight and make sure the gasket is in place all the way around.

When I bought my coupe, someone didnt put them on right on of the gaskets was just hanging out of the valve cover on one side. And the guy said he couldnt figure out why it was leaking oil.

The Online Manual has some good info.

www.daytonohioautodetailing.com

Last edited by Aking; 07-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Aking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your info, that very good feedback
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
dooley
Virginian

dooley is on a distinguished road

Make sure to put gasket sealant on the part of the gasket that is shaped like half moon. Were the cams are. It will probably leak if you don't. Torque those nuts to 7 lbs.
dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Geneva_Jee
Gold Member

Geneva_Jee will become famous soon enough

not too bad of a job; did it on my sedan a few months back.

Just be sure to be patient and take your time.

FOR SALE - Geneva KA7 Sedan In Memory of
Geneva_Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
antik
I blame the M3.

antik will become famous soon enoughantik will become famous soon enough

It's not Hard but I've only done it once on the Legend and it did take me a while (longer than people say it takes). I'm pretty comfortable with a wrench too.

The process is straight forward. The only catch:
7 ft lbs is NOTHING. Be VERY gentle tightening the nuts that hold the valve cover on. Think... finger tight + 1/8 turn. Overtorque and you WILL snap the stud the nut threads onto (been there...) I used a 1/4" drive torque wrench on mine and even with that little wrench 7 ft lbs arrived a lot sooner than I thought.

The other tip that was helpful for me to realize: pull the AC line line going over the engine towards the radiator to clear the valve cover. With the coil packs, fuel rail covers, and other hardware removed from the valve cover, this will provide the clearance you'll want to pull the valve cover straight up off the engine.

Otherwise, standard procedure applies: take your time, be patient, and use car not to drop anything during disassembly/reassembly.

I'd guess a pro mechanic should be able to do this job in around 2 hours plus the cost of the gasket set.

'95 Auto L Sedan [SOLD]
ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | HAWK | ATE

Last edited by antik; 07-26-2011 at 05:05 AM.
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

Just a little warning, if you have any oil leaking around the rear cam seals you might want to consider replacing them at the same time as otherwise they will keep leaking.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Aking

Aking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
Just a little warning, if you have any oil leaking around the rear cam seals you might want to consider replacing them at the same time as otherwise they will keep leaking.
x2, I noticed one of my rear cam seals were leaking. Luckily I had one left over from my Accord, they use the same seals.

www.daytonohioautodetailing.com
Aking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Conrad

Conrad is on a distinguished road

I literally just put mine on. Clean the valve cover and "crankcase relief" (what ever the lil steel case is on the top of the cover on the inside...). Make sure the matting surface is clean and don't get any crap in you cam area. Replace 3 o rings where you spark plug goes, and use new washers with gaskets on them if you can. I used red high temp gasket in the 4 places (corners) and let it sit for 20 mins and then installed.

Its 9lbs not 7lbs torque and if u use new washers u kinda compress the rubber so don't be too scared about hurting anything. Use the manual
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote