AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation RL (1996 - 2004)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
OLD_HATCH

OLD_HATCH is on a distinguished road
Default How to Wire fog lights to turn on independently on RL

Its actually pretty simple. The power to the fogs get turned and and off via some conveluted relay functions like every other Honda.

All that has to be done is wire the positive lead of the fog lamp relay to the parking light positive or if you choos you could look for a accesory power in the harness and wire up to that.

First youll need to unbolt the two relay boxes off the radiator next to the battery. The one we will be working with is the one circled in red.

The two relays we will be working with are the tailight relay (left) and fog lamp relay. (right)

After they are unbolted you want to seperate the relay box that was circled off the metal bracket so that you can work with it.

After that simply remove the bottom cover that is hiding all the wires. Suggest you start with the side the wires come out of since it make it easier. Use a small screwdriver to seperate tabs.

After that all the wires are exposed

Then cut the zip tie and remove the foam tape to make splicing easier.

We will be using the red/black wire coming from the tailight relay. There are 2 wires and you can splice into either one.

We will be cutting the red/blue wire going into the fog lamp relay here.

The cut wire going into the harness can just be taped off and sealed away. (this needs to be done well as it will still power when headlamps are on) The end of the wire going into the fog lamp relay will get spliced into either of the two wires going into the tail lamp relay.

I found that if you T splice at the location pictured above gives you the best slack. You simply follow the wire (red/black) coming from the tailamp relay until it gets close to the (red/blue) fog wire and connect there.

Reinstall everything back the way you took it off including the foam tape and new zip tie and your set.

Simple really, just one wire.

A side note is that the indicator light in the button on the dash that shows the fog lamps are on will only show when the low beams are on. Its the same simple one wire fix on the plug to the fog lamp button. To fix this you must follow the drawing below.

EDIT will fixbutton wirin diagram at a later date EDIT

Now the nav cars have a 6 pin plug and the non-nav have a 5 pin plug. (I forget if the o4's have 5 or 6 pin plugs)

Now the wires will not be in that exact order. The main thing is the color code. Follow the color codes and splice according to the drawing. Make sure the harness side cut wire is properly sealed off. After that the indicator light on the button will work properly.

For the people with non-nav RL's you can probably just remove the black shifter surround (simple pull up) and the wooden shifter surround with ashtray. I think you can just rech up and pop the button out.

For the nav people I think you will also have to remove the center wood section as a whole to pop fog button out.

Last edited by OLD_HATCH; 07-23-2010 at 05:28 AM.
OLD_HATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
B+O
RIP Fut-diesel

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

when you say fog lamp light what do you mean?

on my dash, i have a "light" lamp that comes on when ever the "lights" are one. if it means parking lights, if it means headlights whatever... there's a little green light under the shifter location indicator that lets you know the lights are on, whenever they're on. from parking lights on up.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
OLD_HATCH

what I mean is the actual fog light button on the dash. You know when you push the button a small green indicator light turns on. The one that signifies the fog lamps are on.

am I explaining that right?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
B+O
RIP Fut-diesel

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
what I mean is the actual fog light button on the dash. You know when you push the button a small green indicator light turns on. The one that signifies the fog lamps are on.

am I explaining that right?
oh okay...

so even when the button is not depressed, the green light will be on?
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
silver3.5

silver3.5 is on a distinguished road

i did this mod and it took about 35 minutes. it took longer because i took out the battery so it would give me extra room to work with. quite easy. now i'm just waiting for OLD_HATCH to post instructions on how to make the foglight button to light up when pressed.
silver3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
OLD_HATCH

post updated for button.

let me know if it needs more explaining.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
silver3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post

Now the nav cars have a 6 pin plug and the non-nav have a 5 pin plug. (I forget if the o4's have 5 or 6 pin plugs)

Now the wires will not be in that exact order. The main thing is the color code. Follow the color codes and splice according to the drawing. Make sure the harness side cut wire is properly sealed off. After that the indicator light on the button will work properly.
OLD_HATCH....i tried this and it doesn't work. my foglight plug have the exact 5 wires with the same color code as described above. cut the RED/BLUE and connect the end from the plug to the BROWN/YELLOW wire. the indicator does not turn on when the foglights are on. also, even when the headlights are on, the indicator light is not lit. before splicing the wire, the indicator turns on with the headlight on. now, it's doesn't.

i tried connecting the RED/BLUE wire from the harness end to the BROWN/YELLOW wire and still no indicator light, but now the foglight turns on with the highbeams.....so if i flash the highbeams, the foglights also turn on. BUT neither of this method turns on the foglight indicator when the fogs are ON.

did you tried it on yours and see if it worked?

any other suggestions?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
OLD_HATCH

No I have not tried it on mine. I'm just going by the wiring diagram on that one.

According to the diagram the brown/yellow should have power whenever the fog lights are on.

If that is not the case I dont think it will be an easy fix. Doable, but it will be more involved.

I will see when I can try the switch part on my own car and report back. It probably wont be anytime in the next few weeks though.

If you can verify whether or not the brown/yellow wire ever has power and at what times, maybe we can figure it out. If it doesnt ever have power than we'll have to try something a little different.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
OLD_HATCH

After looking at the diagram again, if the brown/yellow wire does not have power when fog lamps are on there might be another choice, but I need someone to verify current as I am not doing this right now on my car.

The red/black wire is the positive for the dash lights. Now the dimmer switch in older Hondas worked by changing the resistance through the ground and limiting the voltage that would pass through the dash lights. If this is the same on the RL than the red/black wire should have a constant 12v source when the lights are on.

What I need is someone to measure the voltage at this red/black wire while dimming the dash lights to determine wether or not its a constant 12v source.

If it is, then simply connecting the red/blue wire to the red/black wire (instead of brown/yellow) should provide the desired result and have the green indicater bulb on the switch light up correctly.

silver3.5......you up to the task and have a multimeter handy?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
silver3.5

i'll see if i have time this weekend to try it out. will report back.