AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing > Body Repair and Other Paint Projects

Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Bee-Rad

Bee-Rad is on a distinguished road
Default Help with prepping a car for primer?

While I've been out of the Legend game, my current DD is a 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage, and while it is definitely no beauty it's crazy good on gas, which is what I need most since I started school.

Now, the car was originally black, and at some point it was painted dark green with a job that has fallen apart horribly The clear is gone on most parts, and the "nice" parts are orangepeeled, not to mention parts of the paint have what appear to be air bubbles.

I figure it'd be a fun build to restore the car of sorts, but I've been working on sanding the car down to get it ready for paint. I'm not looking for any blue ribbon job, heck, I'd be thrilled to get some $249 Maaco results lol

I've been sanding down the car with a combination of 100 and 150 grit, starting with the rougher to get rid of the bubbles and the edges of the peeling clearcoat and going back over with the 150. What I want to know is if applying primer to 150'd panels is okay since I'd be going over the primer again with a finer grit (320?) before the actual paint?

I'm doing this to basically the sides of the car. The roof, hood and trunk will be wrapped in CF vinyl since it's cheaper, easier than painting and on relatively flat surfaces.

My last question for now is on the primer itself. I sort of don't want to rattle can it unless I have to, so can I buy some canned primer and roll it on with a brush? I know I'd have to do very thin coats at least, but would it work?

Again, keep in mind this is just so I can get a very basic paint job on the car, and your advice will be greatly appreciated!
Bee-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee-Rad View Post
I've been sanding down the car with a combination of 100 and 150 grit, starting with the rougher to get rid of the bubbles and the edges of the peeling clearcoat and going back over with the 150. What I want to know is if applying primer to 150'd panels is okay since I'd be going over the primer again with a finer grit (320?) before the actual paint?
I would at least keep sanding the primer to 550-600 grit if sanding by hand. The primer will hide sanding marks from the 150 only if it is relatively thick....I would recommend OMNI high build primer-surfacer MP282, harderner MH284, and flex add (for bumpers and other plastic) MX193. Around $170 = 1.5 sprayable gallons. I would go ahead and do the whole car before putting on vinyl too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee-Rad View Post
I'm doing this to basically the sides of the car. The roof, hood and trunk will be wrapped in CF vinyl since it's cheaper, easier than painting and on relatively flat surfaces.

My last question for now is on the primer itself. I sort of don't want to rattle can it unless I have to, so can I buy some canned primer and roll it on with a brush? I know I'd have to do very thin coats at least, but would it work?

Again, keep in mind this is just so I can get a very basic paint job on the car, and your advice will be greatly appreciated!
You can brush on the primer I mentioned, but you'll be wasting a lot of paint. The only other option....this gun is all you need to shoot primer for $20.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVLP-Gravity...c0936b&vxp=mtr