AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing > Body Repair and Other Paint Projects

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #51
Aking

Aking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes View Post
amazon has it for $98+free 2/3 day shipping
link please?

www.daytonohioautodetailing.com
Aking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #52
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aking View Post
link please?
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...2681319&sr=8-1

It says $117.98 when you add it to cart, but when you go through the final stages of checking out it updates to $97.98. I don't know how long the $20 off promotion goes for.
[The Legend] stops like a fat kid for twinkie... Hondas have REAL brakes, not like Toyota, who can't make proper brakes and a good turning radius if their lives depended on it
WTB: G1 LS Sedan Fuel Sending Unit, Heater, & Tan Drivers side knee panel- PM me
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #53
Biggg72
The Big Bald 1

Biggg72 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Biggg72 Send a message via Yahoo to Biggg72

is that griots kit any good? i was looking at it last night.

That, Pate said, was an ass-kicking.
Biggg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #54
smokinfastlegend
Gone.

smokinfastlegend will become famous soon enoughsmokinfastlegend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to smokinfastlegend

Quote:
I finally got around to purchasing a polisher...the porter cable 7424XP from amazon for $98. Now it's time to look for a backing plate, pads, and polishes. And detailed image has a great price on leatherique. Looks like I'll be spending more on detailing than electronics this holiday season.
Look into leather masters, much easier to use of a system. Strong cleaner to leather vital to leather protection cream. Though Leatherique is good, it takes a while for it really to work.

Quote:
^+1

I think I'll pick up a set of orange/yellow/white/blue/grey CCS lake country pads as well as Megs205, don't know if I really need the 105. Either those or the pinnacle XMT #1-4. Would I need anything else before applying wax/sealant?
I've heard good things about meguiars ultimate wax since it lasts longer than traditional waxes and doesn't stain trim. I want something that will give the warmth of wax so I may just go the traditional route, which would be fine since it's not that hot in MI.

I'm kind of confused about the backing plate/counterweight. is 5" best?
Pad wise if you use the megs polishes, pick up D300, M105, and M205. As far as pads, you will want to get Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads (5 inch seem to have best cut while giving you a good amount of pad space.) Also get lake country's low profile tangerine 5 in pad and lake countrys 5" black constant pressure pad (black with blue backing.)

For machines with less power then the griots (meguiars g110v2, PC7424xp......) id go with 5" backing plate and pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aking View Post
Need some advice:

So I'm a newbie and I'm thinking about either Griot's 6" Polisher or the Porter Cable 7424XP 6" Polisher. Would anyone recommend one over the other? I'm not really heavy handed and I have always had a steady hand if that helps any, lol.

May get to for myself as a Christmas gift. Looking to have some fun with the cars in the garage this winter. I may ask my buddy if I can practice on his old junker first. If I'm any good, he'll have a nice wax job, lol.

Get the Griots, it has the most power of any of the da polishers with the best warranty (lifetime) Getting started use a slower speed, but i would never recommend going above 4.5-5 if you are beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggg72 View Post
is that griots kit any good? i was looking at it last night.
Just get the buffer, everything else in the griots kit is not worth a damn.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #55
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinfastlegend View Post
Look into leather masters, much easier to use of a system. Strong cleaner to leather vital to leather protection cream. Though Leatherique is good, it takes a while for it really to work.

Pad wise if you use the megs polishes, pick up D300, M105, and M205. As far as pads, you will want to get Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads (5 inch seem to have best cut while giving you a good amount of pad space.) Also get lake country's low profile tangerine 5 in pad and lake countrys 5" black constant pressure pad (black with blue backing.)

For machines with less power then the griots (meguiars g110v2, PC7424xp......) id go with 5" backing plate and pads.

Get the Griots, it has the most power of any of the da polishers with the best warranty (lifetime) Getting started use a slower speed, but i would never recommend going above 4.5-5 if you are beginning.

Just get the buffer, everything else in the griots kit is not worth a damn.

I beg to differ there. The Flex 3401 is easily the most powerful da I have ever used/owned. I would put the Griots in the same category as the PC7424XP, and the Meguiars G110V is really the same exact thing as the first generation PC7424 with some changes to the housing. Remember the newer 7424's have an upgraded motor and the option for the 25ft power cord as well. The griots really has it's following because of it's price. Personally if I had to choose Griot's or the PC7424, I'd choose the PC. Ive since moved on to a Flex 3401 and as far as da's go, I'll never look back.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #56
smokinfastlegend
Gone.

smokinfastlegend will become famous soon enoughsmokinfastlegend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to smokinfastlegend

I dont consider the flex a DA since it has forced rotation, that also rotates in the opposite direction compared to all rotaries and da's.

The g110 is actually more closely similar to the UDM (the ultimate detailing machine) than the v2 is. The v2 has more power along with a "cruise control" feature that will increase torque when it senses a load (but the v2 has cord issues as I have had to send back my third unit in a year to get a refund as the cord failed internally.)

The g100 was a 7336 in meguiars clothing, but the g110 was meguiars all the way without the help of porter cable. The 7424xp is actually the weakest of the bunch that I have used (having used the g100, the Griots 6" polisher, the g110v2, flex, and the festool.) But while the flex has the forced rotation, it is not recommended to use the microfiber or surbuf method with such a machine.

The 25 foot cord also is more of a hassle then anything, at least when used in a garage environment. Also for anyone using a da, either get a pad cleaning brush or compressed air to make sure you blow the pad out of dust, because the more dust you accumulate the more likely you can produce pigtailing or marring instead of correction.