AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation RL (Third Generation Legend) -- 1996 - 2004 > 1st Gen. RL Performance Enhancements

Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
kotetu
Never compromise.

kotetu will become famous soon enoughkotetu will become famous soon enough
Default Small Effort, Big gains - 3.2-3.5 Hybrid engine

3.5 block
3.5 heads
type2 valve springs
type 2 cams
type 2 intake manifold

Valvetrain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5guy
Type I, II and 3.5 RL EXHAUST valves are all the same. 14721-PY3-000
Type I and 3.5 RL INTAKE Valves are the same. 14711-PY3-000
Type II intake valves are 1mm larger than type I or RL. 14711-PX9-000

Type II intake valves can be fitted to 3.5 RL or Type I heads with a 3 angle valve job.

The Type I and Type II valvetrain is identical

The RL valvetrain is crippled compared to the 3.2. The reason it is crippled is because the redline of the 3.5 Engine is only 5900rpm and therefore the valve train matches. The redline of the 3.5 was lowered because of a longer stroke and associated higher piston speed. I recommend my customers not exceed 6500RPM with the stock springs and 6900 with type II springs.

Measurements need to be taken of the intake ports to see if the type II heads themselves flow better.

Type 2 Manifold permits more flow:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phystein
I have cut off IM today..

Photobucket
Photobucket

Upper two side parts are Type2 and lower two side parts are Type 1.
their air tunnel are different...
Type 2 springs prevent valve float at high rpms:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD
We predominately use Type 1 engines as that is what is available to us. The difference between standard and chev springs on a T1 @ 6800 rpm is about 80hp. This is because on standard springs in a T1 you will experience valve float/bounce at those rpms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5guy
I'd definitely swap over the type II springs to make a full hybrid swap - remember the 3.5 springs are even SOFTER than the type I springs. You can feel it when you spin the camshafts. The type II are very stiff and require a long wrench while the 3.5's can be spun & positioned by hand.
Checks and balances no longer work. We need a return to fundamentals. We need to trim the fat and get back to a true Constitutional Republic, and that's why I'm with Rorschach. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Last edited by kotetu; 06-12-2009 at 04:56 PM.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
kotetu
Never compromise.

There's more info to post in here. I invite you RL guys to add to this thread.
Checks and balances no longer work. We need a return to fundamentals. We need to trim the fat and get back to a true Constitutional Republic, and that's why I'm with Rorschach. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
The Crowing

The Crowing will become famous soon enoughThe Crowing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing Send a message via Skype™ to The Crowing

In that sr5guy quote...

"The Type I and Type II valve train is identical"

I could have sworn Type I and Type II camshafts were different, and I KNOW the springs are different. What's up?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

I think he means the lifters and that assembly.

I know the Type 2 intake valve is different as well as the cams, springs and heads.

The exhaust valve is the only thing the same

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
kotetu
Never compromise.

I don't want to modify his quote, so let's ask him to clarify what he meant in this thread.
Valvetrain is valves, rocker arms, pushrods, lifters, and the cam shaft, so probably rocker arms, pushrods and lifters are all the same.

Last edited by kotetu; 06-13-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
B+O
RIP Fut-diesel

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

I recall seeing that the Type II cams are different than the Type I and RL cams.

This is leaving out all the information about the differences in the intake manifold's emissions and operational hookups.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
kotetu
Never compromise.

Yes the type 2 cams are more aggressive than either. It's up there but I didn't paste in a detail quote.

I'll look around for some thread to cannibalize.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
Diver

Diver is on a distinguished road

So what should be done in case of installing C32A Type II parts to C35A engine?
I have JDM Honda Legend 2001 KA9 with C35A and I just want to know about possibility to install Type II parts, what to install and how.
Is the list of works described here full?
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

CarbonGray3.5 is on a distinguished road

This has been a question / problematic solution for years... Even if you get the engine together, you gotta find a ECU that you can use / or a stand alone ECU (possibly the AEM NSX standalone) to use to make the RL function properly with EVERYTHING in the car otherwise you won't be able to use it.

Also... it's a lot of work for something that won't gain you much power at all in the long run for keeping it in the RL.

Or that is what i have gathered after reading a lot of these threads / posts.

2004 Carbon Grey Metallic Acura 3.5RL with Navigation... the last of the good RLs
CarbonGray3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Diver

Diver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonGray3.5 View Post
This has been a question / problematic solution for years... Even if you get the engine together, you gotta find a ECU that you can use / or a stand alone ECU (possibly the AEM NSX standalone) to use to make the RL function properly with EVERYTHING in the car otherwise you won't be able to use it.

Also... it's a lot of work for something that won't gain you much power at all in the long run for keeping it in the RL.

Or that is what i have gathered after reading a lot of these threads / posts.
Thank you.
I'm also reading more and more about it and now I understand that it is very hard work, takes a lot of time and efforts... but if you will done it, people will say WOW
Because now when I read and watch tuned Legends , I'm just saying WOW... because I understand what was the price to make this car!

Also thank you for info about ECU, because I thought before that it will work with standard ECU from C32 or C35.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote