AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default WooHoo!! Credit Card Industry to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Credit card's newest trick: 79.9 percent interest

NEW YORK ó Itís no mistake. This credit cardís interest rate is 79.9 percent.

The bloated APR is how First Premier Bank, a subprime credit card issuer, is skirting new regulations intended to curb abusive practices in the industry. Itís a strategy other subprime card issuers could start adopting to get around the new rules.

Typically, the First Premier card comes with a minimum of $256 in fees in the first year for a credit line of $250. Starting in February, however, a new law will cap such fees at 25 percent of a cardís credit line.

In a recent mailing for a preapproved card, First Premier lowers fees to just that limit ó $75 in the first year for a credit line of $300. But the new law doesnít set a cap on interest rates. Hence the 79.9 APR, up from the previous 9.9 percent.

ďItís the highest on the market. Itís the highest weíve ever seen,Ē said Anuj Shahani, an analyst with Synovate, a research firm that tracks credit card mailings.

The terms are eyebrow raising, but First Premier targets people with bad credit who likely canít get approved for cards elsewhere. Itís a group that tends to lean heavily on credit, too, meaning theyíll likely incur steep financing charges.

So for a $300 balance, a cardholder would pay $20 a month in interest.

First Premier said the 79.9 APR offer is a test and that itís too early to tell whether it will be continued, according to an e-mailed statement. To comply with the new law, the bank said it will no longer offer the card that has $256 in first-year fees as of Feb. 21, 2010. However, customers will still be able to use their existing cards.

According to First Premierís Web site, the credit cards are issued by its sister organization Premier Bankcard. The company, based in Sioux Falls, S.D., says Premier Bankcard is the 10th largest issuer of MasterCard and Visa cards in the country, with more than 3.5 million customers.

In a mailing sent to prospective customers in October with the revamped terms, First Premier writes ďyou might have less-than-perfect credit and weíre OK with that.Ē The letter notes that an online application or phone call is still required, but guarantees a 60-second status confirmation.

The letter also states there are no hidden fees that arenít disclosed in the attached form. Thatís where the 79.9 percent interest rate and $75 annual fee are listed. Thereís also $29 penalty if you pay late or go over your credit limit. The credit limit is $300.

The bank did not say how many people were offered the 79.9 APR card, but noted that it needed to ďprice our product based on the risk associated with this market.Ē

Even if First Premier doesnít stick with the 79.9 APR, it will likely hike rates considerably from the current 9.9 percent to offset the lower fees, said Shahani of Synovate.

The revamped terms may not be the only changes; First Premier also appears to be moving away from the riskiest borrowers.

The bank typically mails offers to subprime households, meaning those with credit scores below 700. In the third quarter, however, 84 percent of its offers were sent to subprime households, down from 91 percent the same period last year, according to Synovate.

First Premier could be cleaning up its credit card portfolio since the new regulations will limit its ability to raise interest rates. That could mean First Premier wonít issue cards as liberally to those with bad credit.

As harsh as First Premierís terms seem, that could be a blow to those who rely on the card, said Odysseas Papadimitriou, CEO of CardHub.com.

ďEven when the cost of credit is astronomical, for people in true emergencies, itís much better than not having access to credit,Ē said Papadimitriou.

Until Feb. 21, First Premier is still offering its even-higher-fee card online. So the price for credit the bank charges is at least $256 in first-year fees.

RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
MondiVTEC
light that shit!

MondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura about

i saw that on yahoo and almost

91 Sedan Cobalt Blue on Type A Partout CLICK HERE!

92 Coupe Black on Type F Partout CLICK HERE!

2004 RL Silver on Type F Partout CLICK HERE!
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Failed hgeez:.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
jjasonSU
Everything's a GO

Where do I sign up?
LOL nah man that's just straight taking advantage of people. I hope nobody falls for it.
This one hustler back home told me, "you don't make money off the rich people, u make $ off the poor people...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Bigboy
Acuraholiks Member!

Bigboy will become famous soon enoughBigboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bigboy Send a message via Yahoo to Bigboy

wow, what a great country we live in.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
This one hustler back home told me, "you don't make money off the rich people, u make $ off the poor people...
+1...

And I'll reiterate this from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Bottom line: Our government relies strongly on the majority of it's constituents living their entire lives as ignorant working drones.

Status Quo: In order to stay rich, the richest 5% needs the hard-working 95% to stay poor.
RIP fut
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
kotetu
Never compromise.

kotetu will become famous soon enoughkotetu will become famous soon enough

When something is so obviously wrong and draws your attention this strongly, you should look around to see what it's drawing attention away from.
Checks and balances no longer work. We need a return to fundamentals. We need to trim the fat and get back to a true Constitutional Republic, and that's why I'm with Rorschach. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
When something is so obviously wrong and draws your attention this strongly, you should look around to see what it's drawing attention away from.
That has to be the quote of the decade and it is sooooooooooooooooooooo true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
sam o nela
Banned

Quote:
A non-denominational Amen to that bro!!
RIP fut
Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
OLDSKOOLACURA
legend love

OLDSKOOLACURA will become famous soon enoughOLDSKOOLACURA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i'm glad i'm not the only one.

also i saw this coming when they signed that bill awhile back.

i have a members 1st visa with a $500 limit and i max it out, pay it off, max it out, pay it off, and so on. in a year i'll use my card maybe 10x. i love using cash
I'd just be sooo tempted to shoot just random stuff. Street lights, assholes, things like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOLACURA View Post
most people take pride in having a new car, I take pride in having a old car that looks new
OLDSKOOLACURA is offline   Reply With Quote