AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > The Projects > Legend Builds

Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #181
SOHC-FTW

SOHC-FTW is on a distinguished road

Runs healthy real neat setup, it stinks most of the pictures no longer work thanks to photo bucket.

I almost went with the federal's for mine, I however went a different route not that it's better or anything. I did read a lot about them rs-rr's including they run wide haha, but overall people liked them and they fair well with the more expensive rubbers for their intended purposes. Again nice setup keep at it.

92 TypeI, cobalt blue, 139k second owner.
Mods= Custom 3" intake ran into stock box with airam drop in filter, custom 2.5 vibrant catback, 2016 coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40ZR18's, Led cluster and high beams.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #182
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough
Default 91LS 5MT- Phase 3- Supercharged

Thank ya!

You can still get to the pics by right clicking and "open in new tab" or the same step for whatever phone you have.

I've been running without a legitimate cai for a while. So it's time to get back at it and make a cai. The new inlet pipe I picked up pointed right to the frame rail, so I had to get a little creative. Made a small airbox to offset and allow me to use the hole for the washer fluid reservoir.

I absolutely suck at fiberglass, but it turned out alright and functions as intended. Only part left is figuring out where I want the catch can to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #183
SOHC-FTW

SOHC-FTW is on a distinguished road

Hopefully that works out for ya aslong as it's functional that's what matters. I got a catch can for mine I need to figure out where I need or think I need to mount it later on.

I'll be happy when I get my headgaskets done, I drove this new to me coupe maybe 300miles before it started acting up. Parts are on their way and arp head studs as we'll. I'm really in no rush to get it done fast I'd rather do it once and hopefully not have to do it again for awhile. Then just maybe I can drive it and focus on modifying it how I see fit down the road once the car itself is functional lol.

92 TypeI, cobalt blue, 139k second owner.
Mods= Custom 3" intake ran into stock box with airam drop in filter, custom 2.5 vibrant catback, 2016 coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40ZR18's, Led cluster and high beams.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #184
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough
Default 91LS 5MT- Phase 3- Supercharged

Another road trip under the nighthawk's belt. 700 mile trip to Maggie Valley and back for the SE spring meet. Good times as always on the blue ridge parkway.

Decided to try a new brake setup.

Went with EBC shark slotted rotors and the new Duralast GT pads. The pads are made by Bosch in the US. I wanted to compare them to the Hawk pads and blanks I had before; no better way to do that than the twisters on blueridge.

As far as I could tell, I had zero fade from heat, and they hooked nicely in the brisk weather. They had a bit of dust, slightly less than hawks. My TLs are pretty dirty and in need of repaint so that could be one reason they collect dust. The federals stuck like glue, didn't even hear them squeal once around a turn. Definitely a lot more confident than I was on the G-max. Albeit those are pretty good tires too.

The SC ran pretty good. I started to get a little warm going up the twists at low speed. Probably due to the fact I have slim fans and the water cooler in front of the radiator. But at higher speeds no matter the rpm I was sitting pretty. Learned something new about the setup there.

The tune seems to be about right where I want it. Still need to identify some startup enrichment stuff and some idle stuff. Some of it still hasn't been defined by Matt, so I'm just messing with the numbers to find out what it does. But, part and power enrichment maps are working out great. Running about 11.8 afr on the power enrichment map.

Hopefully I can post up some logs. I guess I could download a screen video capture and do it that way. I have to find a new dyno here in the sticks. The local shop sold their dyno last month.

Last edited by holyabish1; 05-02-2018 at 08:22 PM.
holyabish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #185
lgnd4u2nv

lgnd4u2nv is on a distinguished road

Man, I should have come to the NC meet. I had some other plans, but they ended up not being as fun as I would have had with all of you. I love your car man. I dream about having a forced induction Legend at some point in the future. Keep it up!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #186
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

I love seeing how you just keep moving forward. Good job Abe.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #187
holyabish1

Thanks Rich!!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #188
holyabish1

I just realize I never posted my new steering setup.

2005/07 Accord Hybrid Electronic Power Steering Rack

Long Read

I've been looking for an alternative to the S2k electric steering rack. Wanted something that would require less fabrication. The end goal is to not have to modify either the Legend steering column or the rack's torque column. Wasn't a huge fan of having to weld either one of them. Also the fact that the rack had to be RHD caused the prices to be a little steep, even for a rough used one.

So here you have it, the 2005/2007 Honda Accord Hybrid electronic steering rack is an excellent replacement for the S2k rack.

The comparisons:

The Accord rack is a bit longer than both the S2k and Legend. This creates one issue. The rack is off center in the subframe. But this is corrected by getting two different sets of inner/outer tie rods to compensated. This is because the steering column passes by the header down pipes. With the OBX headers it's even closer. The turning radius is still the same L or R. The rack itself is centered, it's just physically off centered in the car. Similar to the original S2k writeup DIY.

The torque sensor shaft (the part that connects to the steering column's ujoint) is much shorter than the s2K. On the S2k swap you either had to cut the torque column or the steering column and weld on the ujoint. With the Accord, no modification to the torque shaft or steering column is required.

Both EPS racks share the same plugs and in fact the S2k EPS control unit functions with the Accord rack. Thank goodness, because I couldn't find a damn schematic of the accord cu anywhere. The difference is the location of the 8ga power plug to the rack motor. You'll see in the pics. Unfortunately the Accord plug is right up against the differential. I was able to shave a little plastic off the plug to clear with a stationary engine, but not sure about clearance when the engine turns on throttle up or crank. So I removed the plug and epoxied the wires directly into the rack.

The best part, one weld. No modifying the Legend or Accord column components. The only piece that needs to be welded is the main bracket. And just like I did for the S2k, the Cut legend mount fits perfectly over the Accord rack.

Used the following tie rods:
Legend outer tie rod passenger
05/07 Accord Hybrid inner tie rod passenger
04 TL outer tie rod driver
Volvo S80 (forget year) inner tie rod driver (shaved 1/2" off threads) Now that it's in I think the Accord inner would work too and still give enough threads for toe adjustment.

Initial drive is the turning radius seems to be a little tighter than the Legend and the S2k rack. Steering wheel movement on regular turn is the same across the board with all racks.

The rack was $90 shipped used.

The rest of the S2k DIY thread is the same in terms of modifying subframe and wiring.

Top to bottom: Accord, S2k, legend

This is the S2k rack, but Accord has the same weld

It survived several hard launches and the entire trip to Maggie Valley. So far so good. And it feels amazing.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #189
holyabish1

Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #190
Swift
is building things

Car looks great! Great stance and looks mean!!

Why the rack modification?? I understand with turbos etc to get more room, but your setup fit anyways. So why swap out the legend steering rack?

"I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. "
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote