AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
JMan

JMan is on a distinguished road
Default Clutch slave cylinder DIY

If there's another slave cylinder DIY let me know... I couldn't find one about rebuilding it.

Recently my clutch slave cylinder decided to start leaking. Badly.

In the 2 years that I've been part of this group I've been hearing about how the CSC is impossible to find and if you do find one it's going to be VERY expensive.

Well just for giggles I stopped by Advance Auto and asked. The girl found one and said they'd have to order it. Come to find out it's out of stock. Rock Auto showed one as well but when you try to order it it's unavailable. Other stores don't even list one at all....

Seeing as how I'd rather not spend $375 dollars for one on eBay, I started doing some research. This led me to a thread on this forum regarding the same problem. The person mentioned buying a 95 prelude CSC and using the internals to rebuild his.
(I would link the thread but I don't remember what it's called and can't find it.. )
There was no resolution to that thread though, he never said if it worked or not....

So since the prelude slave cylinder on Rock Auto is about $10 I thought I'd give it a shot. And if it didn't work then I was only out ten bucks....

So since I can't find any DIY about this, here ya go.

First thing of course is to remove the slave cylinder. If you still have the original cover then there's 3 small 10mm bolts (on above the slave and two toward the front of the car) and one plastic ziptie clip.

Once the cover is removed you will see the two 12mm bolts that hold the slave cylinder to the transmission.

You will need a 10mm line wrench to remove the hydraulic line. I found that unbolting the slave cylinder first will allow you to move it enough to get the wrench in the to undo the line.

Once the slave is out you can rebuild it.

The piston from the Prelude slave cylinder appears to be identical to the Legend. Same bore size and everything. The spring was slightly longer, but I'm pretty sure that was only cause it didn't have 25 years of wear on it.

The new slave cylinder piston was fairly easy to pull out. There's no clip or anything just pull the boot off with the plunger rod and you can pull the piston out.

The old slave cylinder piston needed a little persuasion by a burst of compressed air in the hydraulic port.

Once the old piston is out just push the new one in with the new spring. Be careful not to damage or deform the conical seal on the bottom of the piston. You may need to wiggle it slightly.

I reused the old rubber boot and rod since it wasn't damaged and the rod didn't want to come out of the boot. I'm not sure if the new boot/rod will work (probably) but they are slightly different.

And then just reinstall, and bleed the system. All in all I did the master cylinder and slave in about 2 hours. The actual rebuilding of the slave takes 10 minutes and doesn't really require any tools.

I did this tonight at work and everything worked great during my 30min drive home. The pedal engages much higher than it ever did before and things seem to be shifting smoother.

Sorry I don't have more pictures but I was doing this at work and was on a bit of a time crunch.

EDIT: All 90-97 Accords and 92-01 Preludes use the same clutch slave cylinder.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited by JMan; 12-16-2017 at 09:09 AM.
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
JMan

One thing to note: I did the Clutch Master Cylinder at the same time. It is recommended to do both at the same time. If you have an old Master Cylinder or vice versa it will put more pressure on the older part possibly causing it to fail sooner. Or if one of them is leaking slightly (like my master cylinder) it might make that worse.

EDIT: Also might want to replace the Clutch Hose as well. It's the rubber line that runs under the fuel filter. Mine sprung a leak two days later, probably due to the higher pressure of new parts. Advance auto currently can get these hoses for $22 before shipping.

Also, you can probably use a slave cylinder other than a prelude, as long as the bore sizes are the same I believe it will work. But the prelude was cheap and easy to get. I'm pretty sure the prelude used the same slave cylinder for a decade or more, so you don't have to get a 95 necessarily...

Last edited by JMan; 12-18-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

Awesome. Thank you for the write-up and pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
JMan

Thanks!

I found the thread that inspired me to do this - it was John1 who said he was going to use a 95 prelude slave cylinder...

http://forums.acuralegend.org/clutch...SLAVE+CYLINDER
Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
JMan

For those who don't know, I am a service advisor at a Honda dealership...

I just had my parts guy cross reference the part number for a 95 prelude slave cylinder. Evidently that same slave cylinder was used on 90-97 Accords and 92-01 Preludes.

So there's your source guys!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Amazing! Thanks!
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
lanzarlaluna
Legend Grasshopper

lanzarlaluna is on a distinguished road

Awesome. Great contribution to the Legend community.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
lanzarlaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
legend921

legend921 is on a distinguished road

This is great news! Thanks for trying to figure that out. The resourcefulness in this community never ceased to amaze me on how we are true enthusiast trying to keep our cars on the road.
legend921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
radieon
What the Diff

Great write-up. Interesting to know there are more things interchangeable with regular Honda parts with the same quality.
radieon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan View Post
For those who don't know, I am a service advisor at a Honda dealership...

I just had my parts guy cross reference the part number for a 95 prelude slave cylinder. Evidently that same slave cylinder was used on 90-97 Accords and 92-01 Preludes.

So there's your source guys!
Are you talking about the internal portion of the slave? Because the slave cylinder for the accord and prelude both have the bleeder in the wrong location.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote