AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > Second Generation Legend (1991 - 1995)

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
spcgloc

spcgloc is on a distinguished road
Default Upper Ball Joint install

List of tools I used.

Hammer
Plyers
1/2 & 3/8 ratchet
10, 16, 17, 22, and 25 (or 24mm socket sorry cant remember)
Ball joint Press
Ever Tough Honda Ball Joint Set
Fork Ball Joint Seperator
Jack and 1 Jack Stand

Step 1: Jack up vehicle and remove tire. Make sure you leave car on Jack stand so that we could use jack to do our next step.

Step2: Put jack under bottom ball joint to straighten up our upper ball joint. This will make it easier to take out upper ball joint.

Step 3: Grab your Fork Ball Joint Seperator and put it between the steering knuckle and ball joint. Now hammer away until loose.

Step 4: Prepare ball joint press and honda press kit like so (btw make sure the ball joint press you use is not bent as you can see like the one i rented. It still worked it was just hard to keep straight)

Step 5: Now get ready to press out ball joint like so.

Step 6: Get your 22 mm socket and 1/2in ratchet to tighten ball joint press and squeeze out ball joint from upper control arm.

After a few good turns TADA!! Ball joint is out.

Now to install the new SPC Products ball joint. Once you buy the ball joint it should have instructions so I'm just gonna post pictures in order of what I did.

BTW on this picture this plate is the only one you will have to press into the control arm.

Put bottom bolt back on and put pin through hole. thats it your done and now go get you lifetime warranty alignment at firestone and you should be good. OH one last thing......When you go to get it aligned DONT FORGET TO TELL THEM YOU HAVE ADJUSTABLE BALL JOINTS so that they can properly get your chamber fixed. Well I hope I didnt leave anything out if I did plz let me know. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by spcgloc; 11-08-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: forgot a picture
spcgloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

OH MY lord you are my savior. When my parts come in next week i have to install my upper ball joints and i couldnt find a diy other than the manual and it is not as detailed as you instructions. I cant wait to install it and see how it feels. I also have the unlimited alignment from firestone which i used 8 times so far lol FTW!

edit... after looking at the pic on my computer i never knew you could seperate the ball joint from the control arm. i was told by acura and few other people that the upper ball joint was built into the upper control arm and that it was a one peice unit. Damn i already ordered the part which was 200... oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.

Last edited by Dreams94coupe; 11-08-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
spcgloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
OH MY lord you are my savior. When my parts come in next week i have to install my upper ball joints and i couldnt find a diy other than the manual and it is not as detailed as you instructions. I cant wait to install it and see how it feels. I also have the unlimited alignment from firestone which i used 8 times so far lol FTW!

edit... after looking at the pic on my computer i never knew you could seperate the ball joint from the control arm. i was told by acura and few other people that the upper ball joint was built into the upper control arm and that it was a one peice unit. Damn i already ordered the part which was 200... oh well
Lmfao damn 8 times so far im at 3. It would have been my last, but the assholes didnt remember that i specifically told them I had these adjustable ball joints so they could fix the camber, but they forgot so now i got to go back monday.

You know I think I heard that some where also (ball joint and upper control arm being one unit), but I knew that couldnt be right. Sucks you ordered the part but hey a new part would be nice too. I hope I explained myself so that even a cave man could install an upper ball joint. Oh if you can get someone to at least hold the ball joint press it would be a little easier so that the fittings dont move.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
xpressive
Seattleite

xpressive is on a distinguished road

Told ya it'd be easy.. I was quite surprised.

1994 Acura Legend LS 3.5 - 284k SOLD. [02/21/2013]
RIP Fut.. Never forgotten.
xpressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
spcgloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpressive View Post
Told ya it'd be easy.. I was quite surprised.
Yea the first one took me like 3 hrs, but thats probably cause i was stopping to take pictures and hoping that i would miss a set for this DIY lol
Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
bboarder711
Official Photog

bboarder711 will become famous soon enoughbboarder711 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bboarder711

I just installed these and had the car alligned with my koni drop my wheels were at -1.5 deg now i have them set at -.5 deg and i have a slight rubbing issue at the top of the fender liner. Other than that i love them
bboarder711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

looks good, I had mine installed for 40 bucks with a alignment so I can't complain haha.

I love the adjustable ones

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
spcgloc

Start to finish it only takes like 30-40 min tops
Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Riboflavin
Go, Green Ranger GO!

Riboflavin will become famous soon enoughRiboflavin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
looks good, I had mine installed for 40 bucks with a alignment so I can't complain haha.

I love the adjustable ones
Whoa WHAT? Where?? Mine are still sitting in their boxes, since i never got around to installing them myself, and everybody else wants $100+ labor to install them, then i still need the $60+ alignment

And great write-up!

Last edited by Riboflavin; 11-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Riboflavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
xpressive
Seattleite

xpressive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana! View Post
Whoa WHAT? Where?? Mine are still sitting in their boxes, since i never got around to installing them myself, and everybody else wants $100+ labor to install them, then i still need the $60+ alignment

And great write-up!
What are you waiting for?! Autozone rents you the ball joint press and necessary adapters for free and it'll only take you an hour or two to get this done start to finish. It really is that easy! Then firestone for lifetime alignment!

1994 Acura Legend LS 3.5 - 284k SOLD. [02/21/2013]
RIP Fut.. Never forgotten.
xpressive is offline   Reply With Quote