AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > Second Generation Legend (1991 - 1995)

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend to Grave View Post
Wow Rich - I'm sure this is just what the doctor ordered for my Legends. Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately I'm one of those owners who would probably ruin the moldings if I attempted this myself since I've never done this before. I'm still not happy with the job Safelight did to my sedan's front moldings when the windshield was replaced a couple of years ago. If someone who is supposed to do this for a living can't do the job without leaving the moldings fitting like original I'm sure I wouldn't fare much better unless I learned how to do it beforehand from an expert.
The rear trim is actually pretty easy to remove unless someone glued it down... I'll see what I can do to get it written up.

I recommend doing practice at a local yard that has a Legend, if the moldings get messed up then no loss for you. Just try to be as careful there as you would on your own car... the person behind you may be blessed by the fact you left some nice moldings behind for them.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
BigCope923

BigCope923 is on a distinguished road

Excellent write up! Got a bad leak in the trunk of my coupe most likely due to this.
BigCope923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Legend to Grave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post
The rear trim is actually pretty easy to remove unless someone glued it down... I'll see what I can do to get it written up.

I recommend doing practice at a local yard that has a Legend, if the moldings get messed up then no loss for you. Just try to be as careful there as you would on your own car... the person behind you may be blessed by the fact you left some nice moldings behind for them.

rich
Thanks!

Being here in the NYC metro area - there's not really the kind of junkyard business found elsewhere where you can just walk in and "pick and pull"... unless someone knows something I don't know about this region and can advise me otherwise.

Also, I thought I was a wise guy and seam sealed the moldings with RTV where the old visible black rubber gaskets were not in such good condition, thinking that would also help to waterproof it.

And yes, I've cleaned out the moon-roof drains and have the new tail-light gaskets just delivered and at the ready (yes, Ken/CT Legend - that means I'll be changing the driver side tail-light housing soon, and MarcD - I'm opting not to use silicone caulking fix thinking I don't want to hassle with everything sticking together in case I need to take it apart....)

'93 Legend Sedan - Original Owner
"Me" and "Mini Me"

Last edited by Legend to Grave; 08-15-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Legend to Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a soft foam seal / tape that is 1/8" (3mm) will do the trick. I'm looking for something softer than the foam on amazon/ebay (sponge neoprene). I've pretty much decided that the stuff with an adhesive backing is not the way to go if you are cutting the gaskets yourself... what a pain.

I'll let you know if I find something I like.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

Default A little update....

I think I've decided that I'm okay with the Armaflex Insulation tape even though it has an adhesive backing. It's 1/8" thick and has a pretty nice density. The stuff I have is a roll that is 2" wide.

I cut a few by hand and thought to myself how much better it would be to be able to stamp them out with a die cut. Then I remembered I had some used axle bands in the garage that probably would make good die cut blades... so I made a special tool!

I used Gorilla Glue to fill in and adhere the stainless bands to the wooden block which I had used a dremel tool to carve out the blade seats. I was liberal with the Gorilla Glue and that became a problem since the goop grew like 3 or 4 times while curing!! next tool (this is a prototype) I will put the Gorilla Glue in the groove and then install the blades.

After 4 hours or so I decided things should be good enough to go, so I pressed my first set only to be reminded that I needed to sharpen the blades... the bands were way too dull without having an edge filed (or dremel tool sharpened). I also found out that sharpening the bands into blades should be done BEFORE bending and cutting because doing it after the fact is a royal pain!!!

Once I felt I was "pretty sharp" I cut a piece of foam tape from the roll about 3" long (3" x 2").

And put a piece of foam down to help the "cut".

And pressed like crazy. There were muliple tries here and finally I used a rolling pin to roll and roll and roll

... and roll

and found the blades are still not sharp enough:

The tool did a good enough job that I just had to chase behind with a razor blade to finish up the task. I guess that makes it a failed project since I needed to manually finish cutting them anyway... but I have 4 more cars that need this treatment so it will be perfected.

At 7 or 8 bucks per clip just to get the seal I figured this is a better way to go and next time maybe my tool will be perfected so I can just stamp out new seals instead of having to figure out the measurement again.

If anyone cares, the seals are 1.00" x 0.75" with a 3/8" square cutout in the center. Factory foam is 3mm, Armaflex is 1/8" thick.

rich

Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #16
kotetu
Never compromise.

kotetu will become famous soon enoughkotetu will become famous soon enough

FYI: service manual section...

http://www.atfinley.com/service/inde...&z=2690&r=0756
Checks and balances no longer work. We need a return to fundamentals. We need to trim the fat and get back to a true Constitutional Republic, and that's why I'm with Rorschach. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #17
BayAreasFinest
Type 1 King

BayAreasFinest is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Window trim nightmare

Thanks for this great thread, I'm about to attempt removing the rear window trims and replacing them with some from a lower mileage vehicle since mine have been completely destroyed by the sun as you can see:

I also ordered all new clips lol.

But this is the clip im most worried about:
Type 1 stock NA full interior = 14.8 @ 93 MPH
Type 1 CAI NA and DR's full interior = 14.5 @ 94 MPH
My Legend = http://youtu.be/XimYbO6fvRs
BayAreasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
radieon
What the Diff

Thank you rich for the write-up. And I thought I was smart with twisting the tabs that hold my skirt on my Civic.

I suspect this is how my older Legend ended up with water in the trunk every time it rained. And when I put on the brakes, a flood would come under the back seats and wash my carpet.

But now that I think about it, I don't remember if the hoses were clogged from the sunroof ... I wasn't chasing car issues back then like I am now...
radieon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Bump for one of the most helpful DIYs on the forum. I just forwarded this to another member whose paint people we suspect "disturbed" his trim and now his trunk and audio system are getting wet from the wonderful weather we are having as of late!

Thank you Photobucket for making the pictures available again!!!