AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
AcuRas

AcuRas is on a distinguished road
Default G1 Admire-a-shun Body Kit '17

Last edited by AcuRas; 12-13-2020 at 11:09 PM.
AcuRas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
1988G1

1988G1 is on a distinguished road

looking good.
1988G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
AcuRas

Thanks!

For anyone interested:

A few may remember I had extreme rust deterioration in the quarters and rockers when I purchased "Lacqura" in 05. Rebuilding parts of the panels with epoxy and cloth I got creative and decided to shave the chrome and 3" trim, something I always abhorred from 80's Hondas. By the time I finally finished the bumper covers years later rust had reformed around my work- all due to poor preparation and craftsmanship.

I began this 2nd cleanup last summer. I didn't want to post earlier because I know what purists most Legend guys are, body kits are sort of frowned upon. If I was to share a vision I wanted it to be clear.

The Admiration kit has always been the pinnacle of Legend aftermarket styling- that was my initial inspiration but this project grew into different territories. Honestly the G1 "body kits" that were available then were pretty bad I believed I could do better.

This is a wide-body kit of sorts. All 4 fender wells are "dropped" 1.75". As the panel extends downward it also travels millimeters from the body. I treated myself to .25" spacers from Autozone to complete the look. The bumpers and running boards are dropped 2.5" all around.

I've gotten compliments along the way recently and am satisfied with my work...but I'm not a teenager anymore so don't feel that usual rush of pride. I can't help but wonder at the strange nature of this mod and I can't truly say it was worth it. The Legend design is so neat, such care for details (including the body) that will never be matched. My additions to the skirts of the body are crude in comparison.

I hope to receive some critique from the org of what I've tried to do. Say for a next Legend body kit what changes would you make? I'm sure a subtler approach could be more attractive.

What do you guys think, Admiration or Abomination?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
living_legend
Neck Breaker

living_legend is on a distinguished road

How do the side skirts attach to the rocker panels?

I feel that the front and back need more dimension. it is very square. I do like the front bumper grill. maybe if it was recessed more like the OEM bumper or put the old school round EVO fog light in it under the turn signal.

It looks like something is missing tho.

On another note, you have good skills if you built this from scratch.

The Build
The Pictures
living_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
AcuRas

The side skirts sit on top of the existing rounded ledge and bottom of the fenders, glued in place. The top had to be formed thin or it interferes with the doors. I haven't cut the fender line on the running board yet, I guess when I have to remove the fender .

Shaped out a few cans of spray foam you could add on to the bumpers in any way imaginable. I used the body to block downward. This is not a completed kit, which would entail making a mold around the bumper then pulling the composite piece from it. What I'm driving around in are plugs, epoxy adhered to the plastic and painted.

I do like the triple grill and for sure it could just as easily cut in closer to OEM angles. This entire project was based off creating an extension of the recess for the license plate. To meet at the right place and have a lip below...that's the drop I copied to the sides and front. Down the road from me is a 96 Mercedes, it has a very square shape was an also an inspiration.

I went crazy after watching so many front bumpers this year. From Cadillac to Hyundai everyone has the flat face, if not protruding outward. It's a copy of race and supercars design, especially the GTR and R8 as FWD cars. I wanted it too!

I admit trying to merge 80's styling with modern could be laughed at but it fits my philosophy. I shake my head at people who have to have the new WRX or Scion they can't even afford. Cars themselves are a joke. I've done all my own repairs and maintenance and have grown because of the Legend. The funny thing is Legends are so reliable they can get boring, LOL. That's when the modifications happen: she's so perfect why not accentuate it?

Edit: Yes the area below the turn signals is very plain, would 2" Legend fog lights below help in any way?

Last edited by AcuRas; 10-08-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Mikeo
1989 Acura Legend

Mikeo is on a distinguished road

Definitely different ND looks awesome. Some square fogs would make it look right. Keep it up man and play around.
Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Wow, you did some great work to it.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
samo8ty5

samo8ty5 is on a distinguished road

I like it, you did it up different and it looks good. i would not think that color combo would look as good as it does if you had not posted. Good work!
samo8ty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #9
AcuRas

Thought I'd update my photos in the OP since they'd disappeared.

I ended up creating a space in the front bumper for fog lights. They each have a grill piece but came loose and have to be re-installed.

The panels were painted in lacquer a few years ago, which since then I've stripped with rags and thinner lol... repainted with urethane. Still have some rust peeking through in spots but at least by my standards it's good enough to wash.

Last winter I got onto recovering the seats as I was down to foam and springs on the front ds. The material is a non-PVC fabric, tricky to work with but I loved the texture. Carpet is next! LLTL!

Old 02-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
Mikeo
1989 Acura Legend

Mikeo is on a distinguished road

Wow those seats turned out great. Where did you find the covers?
Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote