AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation RL (1996 - 2004)

Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough
Default Repaint Wiper Arms (G2 Pictured)

Are your wiper arms shiny? They weren't when your car rolled off of the assembly line. Here an easy DIY to put some new paint on them and also do the side windshield mouldings and under-hood cowling at the same time if necessary. I painted all three in this DIY.

First, remove the wiper blades (kill the key with the arms raised for easiest removal). Then proceed as follows:

Mask everything off with painters tape and newspaper. Raise the hood and put half the paper under the back of the hood and then close the hood. Tape any sagging areas.

Cracked paint on ps moulding. I didn't sand anything.

Shiny wiper and soon-to-be rusting cowling.

Ready to paint. I cover most of the car w/ sheets to avoid overspray.

I know it's not "Acura" paint, but it works fine.

First coat

I had to drive it looking through the hole in the paper-rain was threatening.

Fan to speed drying time.

Remove tape and paper carefully after fully drying. This is PS moulding.

Re-install wiper arms. This is ps wiper arm and cowling.

DS wiper arm.

DS moulding.

Finished product. Took me about 1 and 1/2 hours to mask and paint the first coat (taking my time) and then I waited about 2-3 hours before applying the second coat. Best to start early in the morning when the wind is less than later in the day. Take your time and your results should be worth the effort. This is an area that's overlooked by a lot of guys and it's just a small detail, but that's why they call it "detailing".

Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
legend93g2
Improving WHP

legend93g2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to legend93g2

OOO man i need to do this so bad. Ive been thinking about it for awhile now.
Great DIY
legend93g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
LegendLand
10 Years, 6 Legends

LegendLand will become famous soon enoughLegendLand will become famous soon enough

Sweet! Good DIY. I just did this in my Accord today. Definitely a thing that alot of people overlook.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura about

Simple way to make your car look a lot better but action, you definitely did it he hard way. I just put tape on the windshield to mark where the wipes sat and unbolted them.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
legend93g2
Improving WHP

legend93g2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to legend93g2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Simple way to make your car look a lot better but action, you definitely did it he hard way. I just put tape on the windshield to mark where the wipes sat and unbolted them.
He also did the trimming on the sides of windshield. Thats probably why he just left the wipers on.
legend93g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
stella
SIX SPD

stella is on a distinguished road

Nice Alan. good job, looks good. I pulled the wipers off and pulled the cowl and painted them off the car. Im such an anal perfectionist. i also painted the moulding on the window. Your way, im sure is faster.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

Nice I haven't really thought of leaving them on to paint them. It's probably much easier to leave them in place instead of removing and reinstalling the wipers. The paint on my passenger side wiper arm faded so it's now half silver/half black and I've been meaning to repaint them. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.
[The Legend] stops like a fat kid for twinkie... Hondas have REAL brakes, not like Toyota, who can't make proper brakes and a good turning radius if their lives depended on it
WTB: G1 LS Sedan Fuel Sending Unit, Heater, & Tan Drivers side knee panel- PM me
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
91RosewoodBrown
Legend Enthusiast

91RosewoodBrown will become famous soon enough

Very nice Alan! I did my wiper arms last summer, based on what Ken (CaptainSlow) did. I just noticed that the same faded paint/exposed metal is going on along the sides of the windshield too. I'll have to do this this weekend! Glad to finally have good weather to do these projects!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend93g2 View Post
OOO man i need to do this so bad. Ive been thinking about it for awhile now.
Great DIY
Yeah, it makes a big difference. You'll notice the improvement every time you walk up to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLand View Post
Sweet! Good DIY. I just did this in my Accord today. Definitely a thing that alot of people overlook.
Nice (even on an Accord).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Yes, Ken, if I just did the wiper arms, that would be easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend93g2 View Post
He also did the trimming on the sides of windshield. Thats probably why he just left the wipers on.
It's a pain to pull the windshield mouldings. Much easier to paint in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
Nice Alan. good job, looks good. I pulled the wipers off and pulled the cowl and painted them off the car. Im such an anal perfectionist. i also painted the moulding on the window. Your way, im sure is faster.
Those two pieces would be o.k. to pull off, but not the mouldings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wksebati View Post
Nice . The paint on my passenger side wiper arm faded so it's now half silver/half black and I've been meaning to repaint them. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.
Good weather project for a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RosewoodBrown View Post
Very nice Alan! I did my wiper arms last summer, based on what Ken (CaptainSlow) did. I just noticed that the same faded paint/exposed metal is going on along the sides of the windshield too.
Check out the cowling also. That piece rusts out really easy and then leaks into the interior of the car.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

Great job Alan.

As you noted recently, I need to do my cowl. I've done the other pieces but in a different way. Funny how the inside of the molding on the windshield will show "white" after many miles on the road.

Non OEM Acura paint might cost you some rep points with me.