AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 11-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road
Default Odd Alarm Behavior

Obviously, I'm missing something.

Years ago I unplugged the hood switch to prevent the alarm from arming. The past few weeks, the alarm will randomly go off.

I think the issue might be with the left door lock actuator. The door will not lock/unlock with the interior lock lever. However, I can hear the actuator motor run but the button won't move either up or down; however, the door can be locked with the key.

But this doesn't make sense either because the open (circuit) hood switch should prevent the alarm from arming.

Last edited by paulo57509; 11-06-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Hmm interesting . . . I had an issue in my GS sedan where apparently the alarm/anti-theft control box itself went bad. I had done the actuator replacement which didn't resolve my problem. Basically my car would run the alarm ANY time the battery was connected. It was crazy when it first happened as I had been washing the car and it armed itself WHILE UNLOCKED! I opened the door and it went nuts and the only way to shut it off was disconnecting the battery. I finally found a replacement box at the salvage yard. The car was on the street in front of my house for probably three straight months or so and unfortunately got hit by some persons we won't talk about as I couldn't start the car to move it off the street. I tried all kinds of things to figure out the problem but in the end only removing the security box worked. We think the capacitors on the board died kicking and screaming and suddenly at that as I had driven the car maybe 90 minutes before all of the fun started.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
paulo57509

I'm thinking it's the Control Unit too.

I never thought to take a peek at the Security Indicator to see if the alarm is armed. It's like the light around the door key hole; kind of useless.

Dead/leaky capacitors are a problem even with old receivers and turntables. The ones in those old Commodore 64 power supplies will fry the entire system when they go bad.

Fractured solder joints are also a common problem. This is the ABS Module out of my '03 GMC - simultaneous ABS and BRAKE warning lights. I found and re-flowed 5 fractured joints which fixed the issue.

Last edited by paulo57509; 11-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
paulo57509

I figured out what's going on.

According to the FSM, the hood switch is open when the hood is closed, the switch is closed when the hood is opened.

With the hood switch unplugged, the Control Unit sees the hood as always closed. Therefore, the Control Unit will always arm the system.

Leaving the hood switch plugged in and removing the bracket/finger that presses down the switch lever from the hood fools the Control Unit into thinking the hood is opened. Therefore, the Control Unit will never arm the system.

The problem probably with one of the door switches or the faulty door lock actuator because the alarm will typically go off as I'm walking away from the car after parking.

Last edited by paulo57509; 11-10-2020 at 11:15 PM.