AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
...It looks like the cylinder heads are pretty clean....so clean that I suspect that someone had those cylinder heads apart recently...[/I]
I wondered the same thing.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
There's definitely an oil flow problem. The camshafts are typically flooded with oil and you should be bathed in oil running the engine with the cam covers removed.

My guess is the oil pump is OK and that what ever oil passage that feeds the upper end (cylinder heads, camshafts and valve train) is restricted or plugged.

Edit: It looks like the cylinder heads are pretty clean....so clean that I suspect that someone had those cylinder heads apart recently.

There are oil passages in the head that match up with passages in the camshaft bearing cap. I'm going to take a wild guess that sealant is plugging up those passages. These oil passages feed both the hydraulic tappets and the camshaft
I totally agree. The oil pressure switch is located on the oil filter cartridge housing. You need to remove that and replace it with an oil pressure gauge to check the oil pressure. There is an oil flow orifice in the block located at the head gasket surface. Either that or the oil feed to it may be clogged. If that's the case the block is probably OK but everything in the heads will be damaged. If you have another complete set of heads, clearing out the oil feeds and replacing the heads may fix it.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #13
Toni28

Toni28 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for reply all..

tomorrow i will have some time to get into the car.

i bought a new filter and i will try to test the oil pressue with the tester that a friend have.

the oil filter was very dirty to me.. and the oil was pretty dark.. almost black.. so i can figure that it may be clogged somewhere..

i dont have another set of heads, and in this country it would be a really hard task to find ones. so i need to try save the ones that i already have on the car.

i will take pics of the test result so you guys can see all the process.

thanks all!
Toni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
poppabull

poppabull is on a distinguished road

Dude I worked on a ton of these back in the day , these engine from new do not like dirty oil , if the person who own this missed oil changes that is your problem ,I have seen these engines with 300k miles with no problems with noise or oil consumption if the oil and filter was changed with good quality oil and filters , the problem is with a number of components in the upper valve train, you have hydraulic lifters which by this design have a set zero lash on both the intake and exhaust , on the exhaust side there is adjusting but only for a set up on assembly only , the lifters get worn out by dirty oil , the second problem is the small push rods and rocker arm s which wear out from dirty oil these all have to be replaced if you want the noise gone. Very expensive if you find the parts . First things first get a oil pressure gauge . Pass or fail then fix ,Then there should be a port in the head to take a a pressure reading there , if pressure is good either deal with the noise or try different oil addatives that's it

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
poppabull is offline   Reply With Quote