AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
chompsterlegend
Member
 
chompsterlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 218

Real Name: Chompster
chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default Strong exhaust smell

I always wondered what is making my exhaust smell so bad. Not a fart smell but strong raw smell. When I'm idling at a stop sign, you can smell it coming into the cabin. Strange thing is I always pass cali smog. I have no fuel leaks at the injectors. Is my catalytic bad? Thanks
__________________
chompsterlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin
 
JKLedbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trinity, AL
Posts: 741



JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough
Default

A bad cat would give off a rotten egg odor.

Raw gas odor indicates a leak.

Passing smog should rule out running too rich or leaks in the gas tank vapor recovery system.

Double check your injector seals, fuel filter fittings, and fuel lines.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
chompsterlegend
Member
 
chompsterlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 218

Real Name: Chompster
chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLedbetter View Post
A bad cat would give off a rotten egg odor.

Raw gas odor indicates a leak.

Passing smog should rule out running too rich or leaks in the gas tank vapor recovery system.

Double check your injector seals, fuel filter fittings, and fuel lines.

-Kennon
Thanks for the insight. I'll go over it once more.
__________________
chompsterlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
byalegend
Senior Member
 
byalegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,629




byalegend is on a distinguished road
Default

+1 on what Kennon said.

It doesn't sound like a cat issue. However, to test the cat, I would warm up the car then check the cat temp at the inlet and outlet with an infrared thermometer - should be warmer at the rear than the front. If you perform this test, make sure you're not more than about 6-8 inches away and aim the laser at the cat, not the cat's heat shields.
__________________
My 1999 Acura RL "Build": http://forums.acuralegend.org/showthread.php?t=34510

Last edited by byalegend; 01-26-2019 at 10:36 PM.
byalegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
chompsterlegend
Member
 
chompsterlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 218

Real Name: Chompster
chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post
+1 on what Kennon said.

It doesn't sound like a cat issue. However, to test the cat, I would warm up the car then check the cat temp at the inlet and outlet with an infrared thermometer - should be warmer at the rear than the front. If you perform this test, make sure you're not more than about 6-8 inches away and aim the laser at the cat, not the cat's heat shields.
I'll check that too. It's not a raw fuel smell but like an exhaust smell you smell on warm ups except mine smells all the time. So strong that you can't idle for long before it gets in the cabin. It does get the rotten egg smell when I drive it like i stole it. LoL. Should I run seafoam just for kicks and giggles?
__________________
chompsterlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
byalegend
Senior Member
 
byalegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,629




byalegend is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
I'll check that too. It's not a raw fuel smell but like an exhaust smell you smell on warm ups except mine smells all the time. So strong that you can't idle for long before it gets in the cabin. It does get the rotten egg smell when I drive it like i stole it. LoL. Should I run seafoam just for kicks and giggles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
I'll check that too. It's not a raw fuel smell but like an exhaust smell you smell on warm ups except mine smells all the time. So strong that you can't idle for long before it gets in the cabin. It does get the rotten egg smell when I drive it like i stole it. LoL. Should I run seafoam just for kicks and giggles?
Seafoam in the gas tank probably wouldn't hurt for maintenance purposes, but I wouldn't avoid the fact that you possibly have an exhaust leak.

One simple method I learned when I had a bad exhaust leak in my truck was to spray soapy water on the joints; I started at the exhaust manifold and worked my way back one joint at a time. If you see bubbles starting to form while the car is running, there's your leak; it's either nuts or bolts not tightened to spec or a bad gasket. Of course, I'm also assuming your exhaust has no holes or significant corrosion.
__________________
My 1999 Acura RL "Build": http://forums.acuralegend.org/showthread.php?t=34510
byalegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
chompsterlegend
Member
 
chompsterlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 218

Real Name: Chompster
chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post
Seafoam in the gas tank probably wouldn't hurt for maintenance purposes, but I wouldn't avoid the fact that you possibly have an exhaust leak.

One simple method I learned when I had a bad exhaust leak in my truck was to spray soapy water on the joints; I started at the exhaust manifold and worked my way back one joint at a time. If you see bubbles starting to form while the car is running, there's your leak; it's either nuts or bolts not tightened to spec or a bad gasket. Of course, I'm also assuming your exhaust has no holes or significant corrosion.
I swapped in good used muffler, intermediate pipe, and all new gaskets months ago. Still the same but I will use your technique to check for leaks. The car had always had this smell when I got it 6 years ago. Only now it seems to be a lot worse. So much that I only take it out once a week. Plus I have other cars that I use to transport my kiddos so the blue girl becomes a garage queen. Would like to get this sorted out. Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts.
__________________
chompsterlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low gas causing strong fumes? kurlykonan 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 2 11-13-2014 02:30 PM
Heat doesn't blow out strong... Aking 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 32 08-26-2011 01:15 PM
Strong gas smell in cabin Outlaw92 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion 70 04-01-2010 07:44 AM
VERY Strong Exhaust Smell spcgloc 1st Gen. RL General Discussion 9 01-08-2010 10:56 AM
ORG > 1000 MEMBERS STRONG! alittlethin The Water Cooler 41 11-20-2009 04:45 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

AcuraLegend.Org is not affiliated with, nor represents in any form, Acura and Honda Motor Company. Some logos and names used herein remain the trademark of Honda Motor Company.