AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
chompsterlegend

chompsterlegend is on a distinguished road
Default Strong exhaust smell

I always wondered what is making my exhaust smell so bad. Not a fart smell but strong raw smell. When I'm idling at a stop sign, you can smell it coming into the cabin. Strange thing is I always pass cali smog. I have no fuel leaks at the injectors. Is my catalytic bad? Thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

A bad cat would give off a rotten egg odor.

Raw gas odor indicates a leak.

Passing smog should rule out running too rich or leaks in the gas tank vapor recovery system.

Double check your injector seals, fuel filter fittings, and fuel lines.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
chompsterlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLedbetter View Post
A bad cat would give off a rotten egg odor.

Raw gas odor indicates a leak.

Passing smog should rule out running too rich or leaks in the gas tank vapor recovery system.

Double check your injector seals, fuel filter fittings, and fuel lines.

-Kennon
Thanks for the insight. I'll go over it once more.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
byalegend

byalegend is on a distinguished road

+1 on what Kennon said.

It doesn't sound like a cat issue. However, to test the cat, I would warm up the car then check the cat temp at the inlet and outlet with an infrared thermometer - should be warmer at the rear than the front. If you perform this test, make sure you're not more than about 6-8 inches away and aim the laser at the cat, not the cat's heat shields.

Last edited by byalegend; 01-26-2019 at 10:36 PM.
byalegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
chompsterlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post
+1 on what Kennon said.

It doesn't sound like a cat issue. However, to test the cat, I would warm up the car then check the cat temp at the inlet and outlet with an infrared thermometer - should be warmer at the rear than the front. If you perform this test, make sure you're not more than about 6-8 inches away and aim the laser at the cat, not the cat's heat shields.
I'll check that too. It's not a raw fuel smell but like an exhaust smell you smell on warm ups except mine smells all the time. So strong that you can't idle for long before it gets in the cabin. It does get the rotten egg smell when I drive it like i stole it. LoL. Should I run seafoam just for kicks and giggles?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
byalegend

byalegend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
I'll check that too. It's not a raw fuel smell but like an exhaust smell you smell on warm ups except mine smells all the time. So strong that you can't idle for long before it gets in the cabin. It does get the rotten egg smell when I drive it like i stole it. LoL. Should I run seafoam just for kicks and giggles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chompsterlegend View Post
Seafoam in the gas tank probably wouldn't hurt for maintenance purposes, but I wouldn't avoid the fact that you possibly have an exhaust leak.

One simple method I learned when I had a bad exhaust leak in my truck was to spray soapy water on the joints; I started at the exhaust manifold and worked my way back one joint at a time. If you see bubbles starting to form while the car is running, there's your leak; it's either nuts or bolts not tightened to spec or a bad gasket. Of course, I'm also assuming your exhaust has no holes or significant corrosion.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
chompsterlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post
Seafoam in the gas tank probably wouldn't hurt for maintenance purposes, but I wouldn't avoid the fact that you possibly have an exhaust leak.

One simple method I learned when I had a bad exhaust leak in my truck was to spray soapy water on the joints; I started at the exhaust manifold and worked my way back one joint at a time. If you see bubbles starting to form while the car is running, there's your leak; it's either nuts or bolts not tightened to spec or a bad gasket. Of course, I'm also assuming your exhaust has no holes or significant corrosion.
I swapped in good used muffler, intermediate pipe, and all new gaskets months ago. Still the same but I will use your technique to check for leaks. The car had always had this smell when I got it 6 years ago. Only now it seems to be a lot worse. So much that I only take it out once a week. Plus I have other cars that I use to transport my kiddos so the blue girl becomes a garage queen. Would like to get this sorted out. Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts.