AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
carwhisperer

carwhisperer is on a distinguished road
Default 74 C32 VW Beetle Spark but won't start.

I have another thread about this car but wanted to be specific to the current presenting issue. The car made noise today. I put a cheap eBay fuel pump in the tank with a modified Honda drop in. I ran 5/16 plastic fuel line up and back for supply and return. I hooked up the ecu and cranked it. I’m getting fuel to the rail but I think the injectors aren’t injecting. I could get it to sputter on starting fluid so the ecu is doing something apparently. Charging the battery now for more messing around when I have time.

It will definitely catch with starting fluid but I can't get it to really run that way. I suspect the flow of starting fluid is inhibited by the circuituitous route the air must take through the intake manifold.

What would you check first, given that my wiring harness is such a work in progress? I should have 12V+ present at yellow and black to the resistor box, correct? That was one thing i thought I should check. I don't have the IACV hooked up yet, I need to extend the wires due to the intake manifold flip.

carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

Do you have the map sensor wired and plumbed to the intake? Also the fuel pressure regulator solenoid.

It’s easy to check for spark, even better to get a cheapo spark tester.

On another note, be sure the engine harness connectors are correct as there are several 14pin connectors that will plug in to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
carwhisperer

I'm not with the car to check right now. I remember my OBD1 Civics having a MAP sensor on top of the throttle body but this doesn't have one there. Where does the MAP sensor normally go?

I know I have spark because it started with starting fluid.

"On another note, be sure the engine harness connectors are correct as there are several 14pin connectors that will plug in to each other."

Can I generally check that with wire colors?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
carwhisperer

Yes it appears that the 18 pin connectors do match up to wire colors. I cranked some today and got the injectors working presumably. In fact, I could smell and see raw fuel coming out of the exhaust. But now I think I no longer have spark or perhaps the mixture was just too rich. I tried shutting off the fuel pump for a while but it didn't make a difference and could still see mist coming out of the exhaust. Where is the crank/cylinder sensor unit located? Apparently it takes an 8 pin plug. Tracing from the ecu it appears that it must be mounted on the engine somewhere. Would it be under the timing belt cover? Also, are there very many chassis grounds? After I modified my harness I am down to only 2 chassis grounds. How about engine grounds? There is the one on the thermostat housing. Where else on the engine?
Old 09-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

The map sensor is located on the firewall on a G2 Legend. It comes off the manifold towards the back where the three ports are. There’s several solenoids/sensors in the box.

The three grounds are
-tstat
-right fuel rail
-main is off block behind alternator

Old 09-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
holyabish1

“Crank sensor” is on the front left cam.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
carwhisperer

Thanks for the help. It started this evening. I think the main problem was the wire I had soldered into run the coils was bad. I started it 3-4 times but then it wouldn't start again and it was time to quit so I went inside.

C32A powere 74 Super Beetle Starts first time