AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Method Maker
Youngest Enthusiast

Method Maker is on a distinguished road
Default She won't start.

I have a 1987 Acura Legend Sedan with the C25A engine that won't start. Has new plugs, wires, distributor, battery and a ton of other stuff. Basically a couple months ago I was letting her warm up and she just stalled out. Tried to get her started and finally did, but the engine was running weird and would not stay on unless I kept revving it. Once I took my foot off the throttle that was it, she wouldn't start again. So over the last couple months I've tried to figure out what's wrong and found out the cylinders were flooded with a lot of fuel, most likely from me pumping the pedal trying to get her to start. Gonna try to pull the plugs again and let everything dry overnight. Please let me know what you all think or if you have any advice whatsoever, thanks.
Method Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Forum.

The 1st thing to check is whether or not it is throwing any codes.

The 2nd thing to check is spark. You didn't indicate whether you checked for spark.

The 3rd thing to check is the TW Sensor (aka Coolant Temperature Sensor), under the distributor. My '90 had a bad sensor and it was causing the engine to flood during warm starts. One way to test this is to hold the throttle to the floor and keep cranking. Keep cranking much longer than you are comfortable with, and it will finally stumble to life, run very rough for a minute or two, and then finally clean out and run correctly.

This is assuming the 2.5 uses the same sensor setup as the 2.7.

Report back.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Method Maker
Youngest Enthusiast

I've got spark, computer isn't throwing any codes, but all dash lights stay on when key is turned to accessory (didn't used to do that). Wasn't sure if the early Legends had a flood mode like most of the newer fuel injected cars do. I'll check that sensor though and try to get all the fuel out of the engine and let the spark plugs dry.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 AM   #4
Mikeo
1989 Acura Legend

Mikeo is on a distinguished road

+1 on the tw sensor. That little bigger is a pain sometimes when it doesn't work.
Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

A bad coolant temperature sensor can also cause the automatic transmission computer to disable the torque converter lockup.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Method Maker
Youngest Enthusiast

Default She's running again

So after completely gutting the interior because it got flooded, I found out the computer got totally fried. Tracked down a new one and she started right up, amazing.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

Good you found the problem.

For next time FWIW, even pre-OBD ECU's (like the 1st Gen Legend) all had a clear flood mode. Holding the throttle wide open while cranking will shut off the injectors.

Also, pumping the throttle while cranking the starter really doesn't do squat when trying to start an FI engine.
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Method Maker
Youngest Enthusiast

That's what I thought, wasn't totally sure though. Thanks.