AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
vsouvann

vsouvann is on a distinguished road
Default My car won't start.

My car was part for a couple days, and now it won't start. It cranks, but won’t fire. I will check the sparks, but what else could it be? Fuel pump? Pump Relay?
It was getting hard to start in the recent weeks.
vsouvann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a main relay!! IF the engine is turning over again, and again and again but won't fire up then it isn't getting fuel. The main relay (which on G2s is mounted behind the lower dash panel on the driver's side under the steering wheel) has ONE job and one job only and that is to tell the fuel pump to pump. This is a VERY common occurrence on these Legends especially for the G2 ones I would say. I'm guessing if you still have an '87 (1st Generation) that the main relay is located in a similar position as it is for the G2s.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

It could be a lot of things. On the first generation (G1) there are spark plug wires so it's easy to check for spark. I've done that with an inductive timing light or there are inexpensive inline spark testers. There is also a plug on the top of the fuel filter where a fuel pressure gauge can be connected. These tools can probably be rented/borrowed from a car parts store.

The main relay is one possibility. Usually a bad main relay will cause it to start and immediately die. It should also result in no fuel pressure so the diagnostics will help to pinpoint it.

The main relay on the G1 is up under the dash near the instrument cluster. It is inside a plastic box and the easiest way to replace it is to pry the old one out of the box and put the new one in it.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Hi Vin,

A bad Main Relay usually causes an intermittent problem. Works fine when cold, but acts up when the cabin is hot. Under what conditions had it been acting up in recent weeks?

Other possibilities include a clogged fuel filter, bad ignition switch, or bad temperature sensor.

If the ignition switch is bad, it will fire briefly until you release the starter, and then die.

A bad temp sensor will cause it to flood, but usually only in hot weather. If you hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank and crank and crank and keep cranking long past where good sense tells you to stop it will eventually stumble to life.

What did you have apart?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #5
AcuRas

AcuRas is on a distinguished road

+1 on suspecting the main relay first. To add, you'll hear a noticeable "click" when you turn the key one position before starting. No clickey, no startey. Before re-soldering I'd have to turn the key dozens of times to get a click. In my case humidity was a more important factor than heat.
AcuRas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsouvann View Post
It was getting hard to start in the recent weeks.
My suggestion of the main relay was based primarily on THIS statement from the OP. Since this had become a recurring matter for some time the cold verses hot temperature becomes less and less of a determining factor. I know from how my first main relay went out and since I didn't research the matter well on the old .com website and so I paid DEARLY for the then family mechanics to "fix it". My Legend died in the parking deck at work and a tow truck couldn't even enter it to get to the car. I remember we had to push it to where it would roll down the top floor ramp then coasted it past the deck gate and down the hill and into one of the overflow parking lots. My relay also because increasingly sporadic. If your Legend has EVER just shut off while driving it OR stalled mysteriously when stopping at a red light or stop sign it's a dead give away of a failing main relay.

Replacing one is relatively cheap as well. It only takes a little bit of your time to remove the dash panel and costs maybe $60 to get a brand new one.