AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long Send a message via Skype™ to 18 characters long
Default G1 TL CD player in G1 Legend.

You know how it goes, .org and myself are not responsible if you damage yourself, your vehicle, your radio, or your mother-in-law while performing any actions in this DIY.

First off, buy the radio.

Now, if you know how to get the radio out, and swap it, just skip this next bit.

To get the radio out, depending on your vehicle, you're going to have to remove a few panels.

If you have an 86-87 sedan, you have two screws to either side of the center console, up past the radio under the dash. Then two screws above the HVAC controls, and four more underneath the ashtray. Once those are out, put your shifter auto into 2, or manual into second, fourth or reverse. Back that panel out, and remove it bottom first. You may also need to put the parking brake up.

For everybody else, there are four screws along the side of the center console, two up forward past the radio, and two to either side behind the seats. The two screws in the middle do not need to be removed. There are also two screws on the inside of the arm rest storage compartment. Then remove your cubby in front of the shifter, to find two screws inside there. Then two more screws above the HVAC. For manual transmission cars, you will have pop the shifter boot down, and unscrew the shift knob. The black or burlwood section around the shifter will have to be removed, pop this up carefully, there are five metal clips positioned around it. Once you have this out, there is a metal bracket with two screws at the rear under the panel you just removed, that has to come off to remove the center console. Once you have all this out, move the entire center console back, until you can pull it up and get it out of the way.

^Sounds like a lot of work I know, but it's really not. It's just finding and removing all the screws. It's a fairly simple piece to remove. Just really well held into position.

Now, to remove the radio. There are four screws, two on either side of the black panel in front of you. Remove those, remembering which one went where, there are different types of screws in the top, that there is in the bottom. Once out, the radio and the surrounding panel should just pull out.

Here comes the fun part. The reason this isn't as straight forward as unscrewing the couple screws from your existing radio, and popping in the TL radio, is this. The factory radio's adapter plate sits above the bracket, but on the TL radio, it sits in front of it, and causes the radio to stick out a bit. It's not a substantial amount, but something that can be easily fixed with a drill.

What you want to do now, is remove the adapter plate from the radio, and install it onto the radio bracket.

Now you know where to drill the holes. Use the adapter plate as your guide.

Drill the two holes, then remove the adapter plate.

Now there are two nubs on the back of the radio, that you need to trim off. Just take a hack saw to them, shouldn't take but a few seconds to hack them off.

Then you will see a black fan on the top right corner of the back of the radio. This should have two gold screws holding it on. You want to remove the bottom screw, and just toss it, or if you're like me, put it in your ashtray in case you ever need a screw someday!

Now that you have all this done, just slide the radio into it's place, and screw it in.

Installation in reverse order.

Here is what your final product should look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Because I'm Fut and you're not...
One...
Fut

Last edited by 18 characters long; 02-01-2010 at 08:16 AM.
18 characters long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Looks good. Don't forget you need to get the code to unlock the radio.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long Send a message via Skype™ to 18 characters long

Nothing a quick call to Delray Acura can't solve.

Just call this number, (888) 459-1642, it's the service department's direct line, tell them you're from the forum, and you need a code for your radio.

Quote:
One...
Fut
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

You also need to pull the pins for the dash radio controls...

Great job!

And might I also add...for those that decide to go with the TL radio, its got great sound, BUT is notorious for PEO-0 codes (problem with the CD player itself)...sometimes a good disassemble and cleaning of the CD player itself can help...I'd recommend buying one manufactured in 1998 as these seem to have a different CD tray/suspension design and have this problem less often (according to my experience and comments from various TL owners)....
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

^Ah yes. Mine did have that problem when I got it. It was manufactured in 1995 for a 96 model, but I took it apart, cleaned all the gunk out of the CD area, and haven't had a problem since.

And I do believe the code is CD-PE0. Or at least that's what mine was.

Quote:
One...
Fut

Last edited by 18 characters long; 02-01-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 characters long View Post
And I do believe the code is CD-PE0. Or at least that's what mine was.
Aw yes...that's what it was!
RIP fut
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
mrpuffin708

mrpuffin708 is on a distinguished road

just wondering if the volume control on the cluster surround will work with this radio. the volume control is the only reason i havent upgraded my factory radio
mrpuffin708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
sam o nela
Banned

No it will not...in fact you have to disconnect them as those pins are used for the TLs security stuff...

This Gen TL did not come with dash or steering wheel controls...definitely a giant step back for Honda...
RIP fut
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

You don't actually have to unhook them. The only thing that happens when you push them is, the VOL + mutes the radio, and the other buttons do nothing.

I just disconnected mine from the switch itself. Problem solved.

Quote:
One...
Fut
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
LegendaryAffinity
Northwest KA3

LegendaryAffinity is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, I might do this mod. My tape player doesn't work and I want a CD player. I am torn between this and an 8 track player. Which one should I get?
LegendaryAffinity is offline   Reply With Quote