AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Drewdog

Drewdog is on a distinguished road
Default 95 won't stay running g

hello all,need some help figuring out why my 95 type ll won't stay running starts fine then immediately dies,like its out of gas,which its getting,changed fuel filter,same thing,is it not getting enough pressure,main relay? Any advice would be great thanks drew
Drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Hi Drew,

Welcome to the forum.

Does it go dead when you let off the starter?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like the idle control valve needs adjusting.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdog View Post
hello all,need some help figuring out why my 95 type ll won't stay running starts fine then immediately dies,like its out of gas,which its getting,changed fuel filter,same thing,is it not getting enough pressure,main relay? Any advice would be great thanks drew
That is a symptom of a bad main relay.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Drewdog

Drewdog is on a distinguished road
Default 95 legend won't stay running

hello thanks to those who responded,but I couldn't figure out how to get back on this forum,using my phone,the car stays running when I hold the key forward,1 or 2 seconds,
Drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

OK. So that could be a bad ignition switch.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM   #7
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdog View Post
hello thanks to those who responded,but I couldn't figure out how to get back on this forum,using my phone,the car stays running when I hold the key forward,1 or 2 seconds,
Definitely sounds like a bad ignition switch if you are having to hold the key forward. The contact position is no longer being properly maintained. As you're probably beginning to learn these cars can be be a bit tricky to troubleshoot.

The main relay as suggested by stephen usually has an additional symptom which your original post didn't mention. Normally those have issues on relatively HOT days OR you had been driving for a while and the circuitry in the relay has heated up. The short version is the solder joints to the boards crack and the heat expands the joints so they don't make good contact. When they cool down they contract and make good connection again. Usually on initial startup for the day main relays work (since they're relatively cold). The relay literally stays on the entire time the ignition is on as its ONE function is to continue to tell the fuel pump "hey pump keep pumping until I no longer am on. When they fail the fuel pump sits there doing absolutely nothing so the car normally won't start although on rare occasion I have seen there was just enough fuel to ignite and turn the engine over then it dies. It NEVER hurts to have spare working main relays nearby.

Keep us informed.