AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
vayankee

vayankee is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice re: removing exhaust manifolds from Legend L

posted my two Legends for sale awhile back and am glad to say that there still are some avid Legend lovers out there, in Virginia and Maryland. Pretty good response at my asking price, though none were actually looking to take the disabled '92L. That's not a big problem, but something not so good has come up.

Short backstory is that the car needs at least the left oxygen sensor, and my mechanic could not get the long-serving left or right sensors loose. Gas mileage is suffering a bit and so is engine performance, and the check engine light comes on.

I am wondering about replacing the left exhaust manifold so that things get better and the check engine light will go out. There are manifolds available online for 50-100.00

I read some posts here about trouble freeing the Y exhaust piece bolts. Dropping the cat and pipes seems necessary, and the manifold shield, of course. But how about getting the manifold itself out from under the car? Are there problems getting the manifold around transmission or drive shafts?

I would appreciate any input on this-Thanks!
vayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

you should try getting the o2 sensor out.. much easier job and not bad..

if your going to remove the manifold obx headers on cause if your going to take 4+ hours to remove a manifold you might as well gain power

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
vayankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
you should try getting the o2 sensor out.. much easier job and not bad..

if your going to remove the manifold obx headers on cause if your going to take 4+ hours to remove a manifold you might as well gain power
Yes, I have seen people here refer to OBX headers. But I am trying to sell the car without further expense on my part. And I learned today that my two most reliable mechanics don't want to take on an exhaust manifold project - fear of the unknown, such as broken studs, and then replacement heads.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will pass it on to my prospective buyers.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
alittlethin

alittlethin will become famous soon enough

PB blast the sensor threads....warm up slightly....PB blast the senor threads...warm it up slightly....PB blast the sensor threads......warm it up completely.....cut off the wires and go at the SOB with a full 13/16 socket with cheater.
Come on man, don't take it so serious. It takes a lot of comitment and pride to throw money into something that will never yield a 16th back.

~Dv8
alittlethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
vayankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlethin View Post
PB blast the sensor threads....warm up slightly....PB blast the senor threads...warm it up slightly....PB blast the sensor threads......warm it up completely.....cut off the wires and go at the SOB with a full 13/16 socket with cheater.
Yep, "that's what they all say." But you are talking about heating it from underneath, I take it? To do that well may require dropping the exhaust system, or whatever, I suspect. So I am taking the car in to a muffler place on Friday. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Years ago I removed the front exhaust manifold on my G1 Legend (which I no longer own).
The way I did that was to remove the radiator to get more space then it is fairly easy to remove the manifold. There is enough room to remove the rear manifold. It is necessary to disconnect the exhaust pipes from the bottom and if that is all rusted up it may be a problem. (Though an exhaust shop can use a torch to loosen them.) Once the manifold was out I put a box end wrench on the O2 sensor and hit it with a big (3 pound) hammer to loosen it. I don't think the exhaust manifold studs are likely to break off in the heads (since they are steel in aluminum which won't tend to rust together) but likely the nuts will be stuck on the studs thus the hardware may need to be replaced. I have generally been able to get the nuts of the studs by locking a pair of nuts to hold the stud. More recently in a rebuild of a BMW engine I drilled a hole in a piece of angle iron and attached the exhaust studs to that with a pair of nuts and took the nuts off the studs with an electric impact wrench.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote