AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
ZACH

ZACH is on a distinguished road
Default will not crank or start

OK here is my problem I just got an 88 legend sedan thats been sitting for a few years and the thing will not crank or start.I get no power to the ecu or starter when i turn the key just dash lights and the check egn.light .Ive been searching and feel its a simple fix but not so simple for me.I replaced the main relay already and while checking my ingnition wires i seen wires spliced in going to a box or amp behind the center dash/console.Disconecting these did not help or change any thing.As of right now when i turn the key i hear a click from under the glovebox and get dash lights on. No fuel pump no light on ECU and no power to starter. I hope someone can help thanks
ZACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Andyrst
Refinement Engineer

Andyrst is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Andyrst Send a message via Yahoo to Andyrst
Default since it has been sitting awhile

open the hood and tap the top of the solenoid of the starter and then retry the key
Andyrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
ZACH

Still the same.I can get the starter to crank if i jump the solinoid
Just cant with key the starter does not click or get power to the solenoid
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

There's a ground wire that is bolted to the center top of the intake manifold. That is the ground wire for the ECU. Make sure that wire is nice and clean. Also make sure your ground wire and positive wires have a clean contact area. If that doesn't work, it sounds like the ECU is fried. A Red light will light up if you turn the key on the ignition. Also, did you replace the battery? If its been sitting around for that long, that battery is long gone and needs a replacement.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
ZACH

The red light on the ecu does not come on at all.I sure hope thats not it. I replaced the battery,and the ground looks a lil coroded but tight ill takeit off and clean it up.I checked all around for loose grounds and found none.any other sugestions?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Hope you're looking at the right ECU, which is under the passenger seat. Forgot to mention, check the fuse for the ECU in the under hood fuse box.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACH View Post
OK here is my problem I just got an 88 legend sedan thats been sitting for a few years and the thing will not crank or start.I get no power to the ecu or starter when i turn the key just dash lights and the check egn.light .Ive been searching and feel its a simple fix but not so simple for me.I replaced the main relay already and while checking my ingnition wires i seen wires spliced in going to a box or amp behind the center dash/console.Disconecting these did not help or change any thing.As of right now when i turn the key i hear a click from under the glovebox and get dash lights on. No fuel pump no light on ECU and no power to starter. I hope someone can help thanks
Maybe a problem with the ignition switch.

The spliced wires may go to the stereo system and probably are not important.

Probably start with a new battery and checking all the fuses.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
ZACH

Finaly got the car to crank But still no start.Replaced fuel pump fuse and srs fuse wich had a plactic fuse in its place for some reason.Still dont think im getting fuel maaybe fuel pump?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

When you turn the ignition switch on the fuel injection light should be on for a few seconds
and the fuel pump should run during that time. After turning the ignition on and off a few times, if you loosen the bleed bolt from the banjo bolt on the fuel filter, some gas should leak out if the pump is working.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
ZACH

Well i think the problem is the fuel pump i check and im getting power to it but no sound from it so next step i guess is to remove it and replce it.Now can i get it out without removing the rear seat?
And Thanks everyone for your post your help does not go on deff ears