AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > AcuraLegend.Org > New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
Tim J

Tim J is on a distinguished road
Default New from Arizona

Hi everyone. I should have posted an introduction a few years ago when I first logged on but I spend most of my time out of the US and my cars have been just sitting in the garage so there was no need for me to drive or work on them. Now I'm spending more time at my home in Tucson and starting to get into looking after these 2 vehicles.

1990 Legend Coupe L Automatic- 62k on the odometer
Bought it maybe 9 years ago on eBay. It was from a dealer in New Jersey. Great looking and driving car. Not sure of the color. It looks green to me but I am colorblind. Has a tan leather interior. It is really fast but the suspension is a little soft. Here is a list of problems on this car.
1. ABS is out, I removed the module when it started clicking too much.
2. AC will blow cold for a few minutes then it starts blowing hot air.
3. Right rear passenger window slides down by itself into slot
4. Power antenna motor not working
5. Oil leak under engine

1987 Legend Coupe L Automatic - 72k on the odometer
Bought about 5 years ago on eBay. It was from a dealer in Florida.
Great looking and driving car with almost zero issues. The color is gold with tan leather interior. Suspension feels really tight. The only thing that I found that could be a problem is that the AC seems to draw a lot of battery charge off the battery if I run full AC for some time.

I prefer the 1990 even though it has the problems. The most pressing issue is the AC since it gets really hot here in southern Arizona. So I would really like to find a fix for the AC in my 1990 as a priority.

Love these cars. But I'm finding out that they really require a lot of attention. I also have a lot of vintage guitars and tube amplifiers which require a lot of care. Getting to a point in life though where I need to spend more time with family and people instead of things. So I'm selling off a lot of stuff and downsizing my hobbies.

I'll post photos in the gallery but I probably need to resize my existing photos due to pixel size being too large so it may take a couple of days to get that done.
Tim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Hi Tim,

1. The most likely problem with your ABS is a bad Accumulator. They are no longer available, nor are you likely to find a good one in a junkyard. About the only way to fix it is to get one from a newer model car and have a machine shop make an adapter to fit it to the Legend.

2. Sounds like you are low on freon. Determine whether your system has been converted from R12 to R134a, and then add the correct type of freon. There is a sight glass in front of the coolant reservoir. If you have continuous bubbles in the sight glass it means you are low on freon.

5. Oil leaks are usually caused by fossilized gaskets. The main culprits are the oil pan gasket, the figure-8 oil cooler gasket, and the 2 valve cover and 2 side cover gaskets.

Another thing you need to consider is the timing belt. Even though these 2 cars are low mileage, time is also an issue. I think the recommendation is 7 years. While this may be overly conservative, this is an interference engine, meaning the if the timing belt breaks you may damage the valves.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Tim J

Kennon: Thanks for those comments. Taking it in to be looked next week so I will mention these things to the mechanic. AC fix is my top priority. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

Hi Tim,

What exactly did you mean by "clicking too much"?

If the ABS system is losing pressure the ABS motor will run to pump the pressure back up. This may mean your accumulator is still good.

There are 4 general ways the system can lose pressure and activate the pump:

1. The ABS system is activated with hard braking, as is intended.

2 - Fluid is leaking out of the system. Check if the fluid level is dropping in the ABS reservoir. If so, find the leak and fix it.

3 - Fluid is remaining in the system, but is leaking past the solenoids. This can usually be cleared up by exercising the solenoids, and replacing the fluid.

4 - Fluid is leaking through the diaphragm inside the Accumulator. This will only cause the ABS motor to run for short time, when you first start driving, and then only for a limited number of times (perhaps a few weeks to a few months) until the nitrogen side of the Accumulator fills up with fluid. Once it is full, pressure can no longer drop. The way to test the accumulator is to exercise the solenoids and measure how much fluid the system moves. This is more easily done using Honda's infamous T-Wrench.

-Kennon
Old 11-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
Tim J

Hello Kennon: Every time I would drive the car there would be a distinct clicking sound which was very annoying. I was told that this was the ABS going bad. So I took out the ABS module and the clicking stopped. Next week I will take the car in for a checkup and brief the mechanic on your view. My technical abilities are limited to really basic stuff. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

A couple of more things I would suggest:

These engines are prone to lifter tick, but unlike some engines it doesn't seem to cause any harm. One way to reduce it is to use high detergent diesel oil like Rotella T6.

The automatic transmission used in the G1 is prone to gumming up which can cause a mysterious shudder at around 35 mph. You can reduce this by changing the ATF more frequently and also by flooring it through the first couple of gears periodically. Honda's Z1 ATF is no longer available from Honda, but the OEM supplier Idimetsu still sells it as Type H.

-Kennon
Old 12-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #7
Tim J

Kennon: Thanks for the heads up on automatics. I will keep that in mind as I start to drive these vehicles more now.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
Tyson
Road Trip King

Tyson will become famous soon enoughTyson will become famous soon enough

Awesome Legends! You are in good company here. I'm in Phoenix and we have other owners / enthusiasts throughout the state. One of our long timers has a rare (modified) 1988 Legend coupe "convertible" and lives in Sierra Vista not far from you.

Thanks Alex for the sig!
http://drivetofive.wordpress.com
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Tim J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Awesome Legends! You are in good company here. I'm in Phoenix and we have other owners / enthusiasts throughout the state. One of our long timers has a rare (modified) 1988 Legend coupe "convertible" and lives in Sierra Vista not far from you.
Thanks for the welcome. I have not seen any Generation one vehicles here at all. I may be the only one. The Sierra Vista convertible sounds like a radical vehicle. Maybe I will have to convert my '90 to a convertible if I can't get the AC repaired in time for next summer!