AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
althor1138

althor1138 is on a distinguished road
Default 93 Legend key replacement in Europe

Hey guys. I live in Sweden and just recently bought a 93 Legend off of a guy who imported it brand new in 94 when he moved back to Stockholm. They aren't so well known here so I got a decent price on it considering it's under 100k miles and he's always serviced it at the dealer.

I've owned 4 of these things now and hope to be buried in one. I will hopefully be dead when that happens.

Anyhow, the "problem" I have with it right at the moment is that everything works except for the fact that he only had the valet key. The dealership tells me the vin isn't in their database so I was thinking about getting one of these and a key gauge and see if I can't file a new one myself out of a key blank.

Does anybody have any better ideas? I've tried contacting a couple of dealers stateside and they don't seem to keen on making a key and shipping it overseas when I really don't have any proof of ownership that is in English lol.
althor1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

First of all welcome!

I haven't had a dealership here to be able to cut a key using the V.I.N. in MANY, MANY years. That being said there may be a dealership or two still that do have the key cutting codes. You'll just need somebody (stateside likely) willing to go into a dealership for you. I'd make a copy of the bill of sale (or whatever purchase document you have) and translate it into English. If you have the V.I.N. on that original document they should be able to tell it is in reference to the ownership of the car. Then just have it shipped to you in the mail.

It has been a few years since I tried calling them but Acura of Augusta used to be the Legend forum go to place whenever we had something specific or "challenging" and most other dealerships wouldn't be bothered with whatever it was. Here is their website.

https://www.jimhudsonacura.com/?utm_...website_button
Old 01-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
althor1138

Thanks for the tips! I sent them a lengthy email explaining the situation so we'll see if they reply. If not, then I probably won't mess with the dealership route any longer. I have found a key card which describes the cuts which should be made from the keycode so in worst case scenario I can order the pin decoder in the link above for about 60 dollars delivered here to me in Sweden and use the key card to file or cut from a key blank.

Here is a picture of the key card for any poor souls who might one day need it.

EDIT: Actually, according to spec my key should be an X208/HD101 so this card is probably the one. For my model anyhow.

Last edited by althor1138; 01-08-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Updated key card information
Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
althor1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LegendaryAcuraGS View Post
Acura of Augusta used to be the Legend forum go to place whenever we had something specific or "challenging" and most other dealerships wouldn't be bothered with whatever it was. Here is their website.

https://www.jimhudsonacura.com/?utm_...website_button
Just wanted to say that these guys were very courteous and helpful. They sent me the key code so that I wouldn't have to pay them to ship me a key. That saved me about 100 dollars. Thank you very much for the tip!
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Your quite welcome! Enjoy your Legend there in Sweden.