AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
pnoye2
Pinoy Pride...

pnoye2 will become famous soon enough

Note: You will need an assistant in performing the following task.

Materials...

1 quart of ATF and 2 bottles of generic brand Honda type PSF. look here <=your brand of choice.
3 bottles of genuine Honda PSF.
Disposable rags (it can be messy).

Safety equipments...

Floor jack.
2 jack stands.
2 wheel chocks.
Safety glasses.
Latex gloves.

Tools...

Pair of pliers (or a needle nose).
Small channel lock (preferred).
1/2" opening syphon hose; at least 2 feet long.
Drip pan.
Funnel.

For best results, these few extra steps must be taken.

<>Take as much PSF out of the reservoir by using a turkey baster.
<>Replenish the PSF reservoir with ATF to normal level (between lower and upper level marks).
<>Start vehicle and cycle the fluid through the PS system by moving the steering wheel from lock to lock position.
<>Repeat procedures at least two or three times.

Technically, above procedures are good enough for the task... but does NOT completely flush the PS system.

Complete steps and procedures are as follows...

Safety note: Always protect yourself at all times... please wear them safety glasses and use some gloves.

1) Place wheel chocks behind both rear tires.

2) Raise the front end of the car until both tires are off the ground and place jack stands right under them tow hooks.

3) Slide the PSF reservoir out (upwards) for more clearance then place a disposable rag under; to catch any fluid drips.

4) Remove PSF reservoir cap, compress return hose clamp and pull it back then twist hose to disconnect.

5) Insert syphon hose into the PSF return line, place funnel in the PSF reservoir filler opening.

6) Run syphon hose down to the drip pan.

7) Ask assistant to start the car then move the steering wheel from lock to lock position... you'd need to constantly top off the PSF reservoir as the fluid expelled out through the drip pan.

Pouring fluid sequences into the PSF reservoir <= ALL of these will cycle through pretty quick, so get everything ready.

> 1 quart of ATF = cleaning agent.
> 2 bottles of generic brand Honda type PSF = to flush the ATF.
> 1 bottle of genuine Honda PSF = to prime the PS system with genuine Honda PSF.

8) Ask assistant to turn the car off, remove syphon hose from the return hose, re-attach return hose to the PSF reservoir and secure it with the clamp.

9) Pour 1 bottle of genuine Honda PSF into the reservoir then ask assistant to start the car and move the steering wheel from lock to lock position at least twice, top off as needed. Keep topping off the reservoir at all times...any air trapped in the line will be purged out by turning the steering wheel "lock-to-lock" motion!

10) Ask assistant to turn the car off, remove both jack stands and safely lower the front end of the car.

11) Double check the PSF level once the car is safely resting on the ground, top off reservoir to proper level.

PS system thorough flush is complete... take it out for a test drive and hopefully, you'll fell a big difference; as it should.

Any questions, issues or concerns... please let me know!

Last edited by sam o nela; 12-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
kitchwatembo
shot caller

kitchwatembo is on a distinguished road

is it okay for the fluid to drain completely or do I need to keep fluid cycling through constantly to avoid air in the system?

-jason
kitchwatembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
pnoye2
Pinoy Pride...

Keep topping off the reservoir at all times ...any air trapped in the line will be purged out by turning the steering wheel "lock-to-lock" motion!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
89HondaLegend
Old School

Just curious Ferj, what colour is the genuine Honda PS fluid over there?

Just about all Honda lubricants here (PS fluid, gearbox oil, diff oil etc) are all either clear/transparent or a very light transparent brown/caramel colour.

RIP Fut
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
pnoye2
Pinoy Pride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89HondaLegend View Post
Just curious Ferj, what colour is the genuine Honda PS fluid over there?

Just about all Honda lubricants here (PS fluid, gearbox oil, diff oil etc) are all either clear/transparent or a very light transparent brown/caramel colour.
^ Hope the images below helps Steve

Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
89HondaLegend
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoye2 View Post
^ Hope the images below helps Steve

You are... THA MAN!

Thanks Ferj and great DIY by the way. I changed the fluid on my Sister's Prelude a couple of weeks back and made a bit of a mess of it. Going to go invest in a piece of clear hose

RIP Fut
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

I would add one more thing to this DIY: after you disconnect the return line from the reservoir the rest of the procedure will be a lot less messy if you plug the hole in reservoir. I found that an foam ear plug worked well.

Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
dmz

dmz is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
The ATF in your picture says multi-purpose DexMerc, but when I go to Autozone they have the Coastal brand but none of bottles are labeled like that, they have Dex III, ATF+4, Ford ATF, Mercon V synthetic, Dexron VI, all Coastal brand, which one should I get?
Thanks!
dmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
pnoye2
Pinoy Pride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLedbetter
I would add one more thing to this DIY: after you disconnect the return line from the reservoir the rest of the procedure will be a lot less messy if you plug the hole in reservoir. I found that an foam ear plug worked well.

Kennon
^ Added benefit... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz
Hey guys,
The ATF in your picture says multi-purpose DexMerc, but when I go to Autozone they have the Coastal brand but none of bottles are labeled like that, they have Dex III, ATF+4, Ford ATF, Mercon V synthetic, Dexron VI, all Coastal brand, which one should I get?
Thanks!
^ For flushing, any of the Dexron or Mercon will do
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
dmz

dmz is on a distinguished road

Just did this on Saturday, not difficult at all. The foam ear plug was a good idea, I didn't get one drop on the ground, not messy at all. Now when I look down the reservoir I can see the bottom of it Thanks guys.
dmz is offline   Reply With Quote