AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Prelude Si Steering Wheel in G1 Legend

Prelude 3 Spoke Steering Wheel in a G1

This DIY is intended for non-airbag model Legends. At NO TIME would I ever recommend you service anything having to do with the SRS on your own! So with that said lets move on. I am unsure whether this mod will work with an 88+ car with the two separate horn buttons and the large rubber piece in the middle, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t with little to no modification…

This is the new wheel…a 3 spoke steering wheel from a 91 Honda Prelude Si…I really liked the sporty 3 spoke styling as well as the cruise control buttons being incorporated into the wheel as opposed to the Legend’s bulky little box on the side…

First things first, disconnect the negative battery cable…

Turn the wheel so that it locks…and remove the center Acura piece…

Mark the steering wheel’s orientation with a permanent marker as a reference for the new one and in case you do decide to put it back on someday…

The steering wheel nut is a 19mm socket…it may be tight at first but it will give….

Remove the horn button by unscrewing the four Phillips screws on the back…once it’s off, disconnect these connectors…you will only be using one of them with the new wheel…

Now, with the connectors off, remove this back piece. This piece houses the actual contacts and circuitry for the Horn and Cruise Control…

Plug the connector from the new wheel into this 3-prong plug…good old predictable Honda, with their interchangeable electrical components and connectors used throughout the 80’s and 90’s ...

Now this piece will line up perfectly with the holes already built into the Prelude Wheel…snap that in and you are done with that!!

Now simply line up your steering wheel as close to where the original one was as you can and tighten up the nut….

Now reconnect the battery, push the horn and make sure it honks and BOOM your done!! Simple as that!! Take it out for a ride to be sure that the Cruise Control works (it should work perfectly unless you got a bad wheel!?)…

You may also notice that there is no cancel button. To cancel the Cruise, you simply push both buttons (Accel and Set) at the same time or simply tap the brake...

As far as the center Honda “H” emblem, you could leave it in if you’re going for that JDM look, but I really like my Acura stuff so I simply added the “A” symbol that I had lying around. There’s lots of ways to get them to mount so a little ingenuity and you can get it…I simply put two holes into the “H” button, and mounted the “A” symbol’s prongs to that…

Like I had mentioned before, Honda has lots of vast interchangeable stuff from this era of cars so you may not be limited to only this wheel! Be experimental and try out a different wheel from another Honda or Acura if you’d like and use this as a guide because I’m sure that the procedure is pretty much the same…good luck!
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Got an update for the 88' Sedan.

After seeing Ken Prelude steering wheel in person, I wanted to do the same. So I went to the yard, and luckily found a 91 Prelude Si. I took the steering home, took off the original steering wheel, then placed the Prelude in. The connector are the same on the Prelude and the 88'. But the problem is, the Prelude steering wheel rubs on the covers. So, tomorrow, gonna hit up Home Depot and buy washers to push up the steering wheel away from the covers.

The Prelude steering wheel looks badass. I love how the Cruise control is on the steering wheel.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Prototype

Prototype is on a distinguished road

just wondering would this prelude steering wheel be able to fit on a G2 coupe/sedan?
Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Cant say for sure. Would depend on splines and the plastic column cover.
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote