AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Info Center install into Non-LS G1...56k...temporary warning!!

This DIY is intended to show you how to install an information center unit into your non-info center equipped G1. The info center in the G1 was introduced in the 87 coupe and 88 sedan. The center has many functions including keeping track of various fluid levels, maintenance intervals, current and average fuel mileage, approximate amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank, a second trip odometer, and, of course, a clock. It is possible to adapt ALL of these functions to your non-info center equipped car with the exception of the oil level sensor (more on that later).

So letís get started.

Hereís what you will need:

~Info Center harness, display, and computer.

~Coolant reservoir from an LS, info-center equipped car (including cap, float, and wires)

~Washer fluid reservoir from an LS info-center equipped car

~A roll of 14-18 gauge electrical wire

~Regular electrical tools including wire cutters/crimpers, soldering iron/solder, shrink wrap, and quick taps.

Removal
So obviously youíll need to find yourself the entire unit. The junkyard is a great place to start

Here we have a previously beautiful 90 LS coupe.

The first thing youíll need to do is remove the glovebox and plastic panel beneath the dash.

Once those are out of the way, youíll see the info center computer up under the dash. It is only held in with a few Phillips screws so go ahead and remove the screws, unplug the computer from the harness, and set the computer to the side. Now you can move over to the harness removal.

Youíll need to first remove the dash storage compartment. It is also held in with some simple Phillips screws. Open the lid and have at it.

The compartment and display come out as a unit so pull them, disconnect the display, and set the unit to the side.

The info center is actually at the tail end of the entire dash harness, so luckily this is the only cutting youíll need to do for the removal. Cut here and try to get as much wire slack as possible.

Now just fish the harness down through the dash to the glove box area, but be careful when pulling it through so as not to snag the plug anywhere and damage a wire or pin.

Hereís your unit!

Grab the coolant and washer fluid reservoirs if they are in fair condition too!

Well thatís done, so now lets move on to the actual installation.

Installation

Installing this unit is indeed fairly involved, but not AS involved as was once thought.

First, study these wiring diagrams carefully:

Info Center Diagram:

Gauges Diagram (This is from the UK online manual but the colors should be the same...but someone please let me know if it is not accurate for the '88+ cars):

As you can see, the info center pretty much piggy backs on all of the existing wiring on non-equipped cars. Therefore, simply tapping into these wires is all that is needed in order to get these functions to work on the info center.

Youíll first have to cut the 5-pin harness plug that goes to your clock. But just cut the plug off itself, strip the wires, and prepare them for solder and shrink-wrap because you will still be using them (as you can see in the diagram).

The majority of the remaining wires can simply be tapped behind the instrument cluster. Go ahead and find the corresponding wires that you need to tap into. On my 87 L Sedan, all of the colors were dead on correct and this feature was NEVER offered for my year. So I would hope that the same would go for the rest of the G1 yearsÖhowever, if you are unsure, use your 12v tester to check things out before tapping the wrong wire! According to the diagram, the only colors that wont match up are the orange wire from the Info Center that needs to tap into the Blue wire going to the CHECK ENGINE light on the cluster. What this does, is when the info center wants to give you an important message (like you have 500 miles remaining on your oil change interval) it will trigger your CEL and display "CHANGE OIL IN XXX MILES" every time you start the car. Its pretty cool because it does a count down and everything hahaha.

Harness A

Harness B

Note: The arrangement of my plug's pins may be different than yours but the colors should remain the same...

You will have to run three wires (for the time being):

First up is the wire going to the number 1 fuel injector at the ECU. Solder and shrink-wrap one end of the wire to the Pink wire on the Info Center harness, and cut the wire just long enough to easily reach the ECU.

Then just run it through the dash to the ECU. On coupes it will be in the passengerís side footwell under the carpet. On sedans, you will have to remove the passengerís seat to get to the ECU. Tap into pin A1 (white/beige colored plug at the far left of the ECU; top left corner wireÖ.it was brown on my car) this is the wire going to the number 1 fuel injector. Done here!

Now you will run two wires going to the coolant and washer fluid reservoirs in the engine compartment. As a little side note, on my car, I noticed this little plug years ago and ran the wire for my amp thorough there. As you can see, it is located just above the drain hose for the A/C evaporator. If you have this, rubber plug also, I highly recommend using it! It made my life so much easier!

From inside the cabin:

So anyhow, as it turns out, the coolant reservoirs are the same physical shape, but the filler necks are different. You WILL NEED to switch this item out. So donít forget to pick this reservoir up at the junkyard along with the harness and plug attached to it!

Non LS

LS

The Washer Fluid reservoirs are almost dimensionally the same, and have the exact same mounting points, but the LS one has the float sensor in itÖI think itís much easier to just switch this whole thing out too rather than drill a hole in your stock one for the sensorÖ

So after those are installed, the wiring is pretty simple, connect the wire you ran to the colored wires on the reservoirsí harness plugs and the other end of the wire in the cabin to the respective wires on the info center harness (donít mix these up! I recommend using two different colored wires when you run them so that they are not confused with each other!). Both of these reservoirs will share a ground wire, so connect them and ground them here to this nice convenient spot here

Run your wires nice and clean in the engine bay and consider even throwing some small diameter loom on them for extra protection and to make them look a bit nicer (no picture of this because I didnít do that myself )

But letís not start sucking each otherís dicks just yet gentlemen. We need to test the system first! Plug the computer and display in, replace the battery cable, and put the key into the II position. If the system comes on, (I think it will initially ask you for you odometer mileage or something like that), and allows you to cycle through the various functions, then BAM! ITíS ALIVE!!!

So loose ends first. The oil level sensor wire would go to a special sensor that was installed through the oil pump on LS equipped engines. Therefore, unless you want to replace your oil pump or drill a hole in your existing one, Iíd just leave it alone. Ground out the oil level sensor wire on the frame somewhere in the dash, and continue checking the oil with the dipstick the way God intended.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Also, remember how I said you’d be running three wires FOR NOW? Well, the fuel door open wire seems to be a simple grounding wire that gounds out for the second that it takes you to pull the fuel filler door lever. It seems to me that all one would have to do is run the wire to the fuel door lever on the driver’s side, and attach it in a way that causes it to ground on the body when you pull the lever. I know I say it’s simple, but shit I didn’t bother to do it feel free to do so if the mood hits you right

So now you just need to tiddy up the wire mess that you have probably made. Now, due to the fact that I have an 87, I will not be able to confirm this until somebody actually checks it out…BUT I HOPE that on 87-90 coupes and 88-90 sedans that did NOT come with the info center, that the spot will still be under the dash for the computer. It would make sense for the spot to be there vacant. So when someone finds out if that spot is there, please let me know and I will update this paragraph

So assuming the spot is there, run the harness to that spot, replace the console lid and display, plug in your computer, screw that bad boy in, replace your glovebox, and you are GOOD TO GO!!

(your lid wont look my mine believe me....I'l get a better pic to replace this one later )

Check out the thread below for instructions on how to setup and use the various functions of the system. Enjoy!!

Info Center Setup Instructions

I have a video in the works also...so hopefully I can edit it and get it up soon!

Last edited by sam o nela; 12-11-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

88' Sedan has the pre-trim for the brain. Just need to grab the clips to hold the brain in place.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long Send a message via Skype™ to 18 characters long

Ok, time for my experiences... My '90 had all the plugs in place for the coolant and washer fluid plugs. I used the entire dash harness from the donor car. When I plugged the harness in, and turned the key on, the system came on and it told me to check the coolant level. I didn't have the sensors in yet, so I didn't think much of it. Then when I went clicking through, the oil level said N/A, and washer fluid level was "OK".. So after install of the sensors and res' I got the same things.

The rest of the things told me 7500 miles till oil change and next service, and I was getting 0.0 average mpg, and 0 instant mpg. Then it told me 0 miles to empty. Which I kinda knew, since the car ran out of gas a couple days ago, and I only got enough in it to get it back to my garage.

My biggest issue is, my fuel gauge was never accurate. It will register empty with $10 gas in there, and with aprox $30 gas, it doesn't even hit half. That and the low fuel light doesn't work, so I'm thinking that's just my fuel sending unit in the tank (hopefully)

All said and done, with everything installed, it seems to be working with no modification, just the LS dash harness, and all the sensors and corresponding resiviours. However I think there is something wrong with mine, because it tells me to check coolant level when it's full. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Because I'm Fut and you're not...
One...
Fut
18 characters long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Mikeo
1989 Acura Legend

Mikeo is on a distinguished road

just ground out the senser.
Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

i wish the g2 had that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
i wish the g2 had that
Time to get a G1 lol.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long Send a message via Skype™ to 18 characters long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo View Post
just ground out the senser.
It's not that simple....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Because I'm Fut and you're not...
One...
Fut
18 characters long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
sam o nela
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 characters long View Post
It's not that simple....
Lol yeah it is...
RIP fut
Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

Make sure the floater isn't stuck for the coolant.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd