AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road
Default Better Headlights

The headlights on the Legend has pretty much sucked since the day I got it back in 2000. Even the owner that gave me the car admitted as much.

Old age probably has something to do with it but it's been getting harder and harder to see the road at night. New bulbs didn't seem to improve matters any.

Looking for a P&P solution besides an HID conversion, I started shopping around for LED versions of the 9004 bulbs. I settled on these which has the driver (and a fan for cooling) for the LED's piggy-backed (for lack of a better term).

I don't really care what the light looks like when looking at the headlights; I want light on the road. But here's what it looks like compared to the tungsten bulbs.

I don't have any on the road photos, but the light pattern on the road is about the same as with tungsten bulbs but it's much whiter and easier to see the road. Road signs and reflectors "pop" much like HID's. The high beams don't make much difference in lighting to road which is kind of strange. It just makes what's illuminated by the low beams brighter. Yes, I installed two pairs of these LED's into each of the the stock housings.

I didn't mess with the aim or anything else; the pattern on the garage door at 6 feet or so is just a "cloud" of white light (there was a dim "cold" spot in the center of the cloud). Probably the nature of running a non-stock lighting source.

No negative responses from on-coming traffic or the cop I happened to be following on my way home from the grocery store.

I've never been too impressed with conversion lighting sources that you just plug into the existing headlight housings/lenses but IMO, these are a good improvement over stock.

Made in China...so reliability remains to be seen (no pun intended).

Last edited by paulo57509; 01-15-2017 at 08:33 PM.
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
paulo57509

Reliability pretty much sucks. One of the bulbs low beam LED's died after less than 30 minutes of use.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
paulo57509

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
Reliability pretty much sucks. One of the bulbs low beam LED's died after less than 30 minutes of use.
Root cause = crap connectors.

I went and wiggled all four connectors with the lights on and all flickered. The bulb connectors don't fit well at all with the factory harness connectors. I had to squeeze the connectors together with water pump pliers to get them to pass the wiggle test. Also, the bulb connectors don't lock together with the factory connectors - the lock tabs don't engage.

I'll have to run these a while to see if it's worth the hassle of replacing the connectors with better connectors on both ends.

For $58 for four LED bulbs it won't hurt if I decide to just pitch them. Cheap experiment.

On another note....

Since these are dual beam LED's, which way (up or down) should the low beam LED's face? Does it even matter with a fluted lens headlight?

Last edited by paulo57509; 01-17-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Very interested in your long term findings. No help on orientation, but with flutes, you may be right that it doesn't really matter
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
paulo57509

FWIW, here's what the beam looks like against the garage door. It was dusk, maybe 30 minutes before total darkness.

Low Beam:

High Beam:

I had aimed the headlights a bit upward with the stock bulbs in an attempt to get more light on and down the road. I think I need to re-adjust them back downward.

I noticed this morning that the high beam indicator on the dash no longer illuminates with these bulbs installed. Duno if this is a coincidence or a function of the new bulbs.

I really want to like these but I'm not really feeling it at the moment.

Last edited by paulo57509; 01-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
paulo57509

Forgot to mention where I got these:

http://www.yitamotor.com/

I purchased them through ebay.

These are the ones I ordered.

http://www.yitamotor.com/l08-yita-12...ent-bulbs.html

I also bought a set of 9005/9006's at the same time I ordered the 9004's.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #7
paulo57509

I got out the headlight aimers that I bought on ebay the last century, calibrated them and lined up the lights.

I had to play around with the slope calibration on the aimers. Besides the aimers being expensive (retail) they're surprisingly unrepeatable as far as slope calibration goes.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...HPY-1003B.html

I got the same kit off ebay for $85; the seller spelled "aimer" wrong in the item title. No one else could find them because of the misspelling so I ended up as the only bidder.

To fine tune the slope calibration (trial and error), I used my 2003 GMC van that I installed the 9006/9005 LEDs in. I got enough of the road in front of the van illuminated for my tastes and called the calibration good.

When I first attached the now calibrated aimers to the Legend, the lights were way too high. Bringing them down got the light on the road and it appears much brighter than the halogen bulbs. I think it has more to do with the LEDs rated at 120w vs. the stock 45w/65w.

I like the results enough to seriously address the poor connection issue by making my own connector harness between the factory connectors and the LED bulbs. I purchased a set of pigtails that will plug into the factory harness and some Weatherpack pigtails to plug into the LEDs. I'll have to remove and re-do the bulb connectors with the Weatherpacks but this won't be that difficult.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
paulo57509

After running these for the past few years on the Legend and my GMC truck, I thought a few observations are in order:

1. The 360-degree lighting (LED "panels" 90-degrees to each other) throws light everywhere. I've switched to 180-degree (back-to-back) designed bulbs on the low beam side and the light is much more useable, IMO.

2. Subjective opinion - The 180-degree lighting is definitely not anymore obnoxious than OEM projector LED lighting; maybe less so.

3. Reliability - Hit-and-miss. I've had an entire LED panel go dark after 12 months or so. The replacement bulbs I received had a row of LEDs in a panel that flickers. Avoid the temptation of buying these from ebay sellers. Yeah, the $10/pair w/free shipping is tempting but you'll regret it.

4. You'll be better off spending a bit more and buying them from places like Super Bright LED (https://www.superbrightleds.com/).

9004's: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...78&scc_id=1398

Last edited by paulo57509; 09-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.