AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > Second Generation Legend (1991 - 1995)

Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough
Default Holyabish1's MDX Slot Boot Install

This modification is a great way to upgrade your stock auto shifter! This DIY is for a coupe/gs shifter. The shifter assembly on a regular sedan is a little different, and I'm unsure of the MDX modification for it. If anyone can add that information, it would be very helpful! The boot install will be the same, but the MDX alteration may be a little different.

Tools needed:
Phillips Screwdriver
Exacto Knife
Hacksaw, or Dremel
Drill
Magnet helps if you drop your screws
Rubberband (is included in the shipment).

Step 1: Remove the center console
This is a good video showing you how to remove the console. The whole video shows how to remove the radio, which is not necessary.

Step 2: Remove the shift knob
Coupe:
-Remove the two screws on the side of the shift knob. Slide the whole knob up and off the assembly
-Remove the two screws that hold the metal knob bottom off the shift assembly (coupe/gs only). Slide the metal holder off, you will not need this piece. Save both pieces if you ever decide to go back to the original shifter.

Step 3: Remove the shifter assembly cover.
- Remove the 4 gold screws from the top and bottom of the shifter cover. Also remove the light that goes into the driver's side of the plate for the gear indicator.

-Slide the shifter cover plate up and off the assembly. Remove the slider cover from the middle (it'll slide right out once off the assembly).

-Place the cover plate back over the assembly, but do not bolt down.

Step 4: Prepare your MDX Shift knob.
Photos courtesy of Gascan.
-This is what your shift lever shaft should look like (coupe)

-Cut the bottom of the MDX knob according to the measurements here, and drill two holes. I didn't see this till after the install, but was still able to just eyeball it about spot on.

-This is what it should look like installed without a boot:

Step 5: Installing the boot
- Slide the boot onto the MDX knob as pictured:
(The double stitching side is the opposite of the knob button, meaning the double stitching will be on the side toward you)

^Pictured is the full boot, but install here is the same

-Make a hole so your screw can go through, I used an exacto then widened with a screwdriver.

-Attach the knob to the shifter shaft (two screws)

-Here's the tricky part. Once the knob is attached to the shaft, slide the boot over the knob. Raise the assembly cover plate up to the narrowest point on the shaft. Slide the metal bracket into the slot hole, might take a minute and wiggling but it'll go through.

Once it is through, the curved part should be wrapped around the assembly cover, like so:

The bare end should come out at the following location:

You will be able to feel around under the shifter, expanding the wire loom as necessary to fill in any gaps. On the driver's side, it will butt up against the gear indicator light housing, do not pull it below the housing, or it will rub on the shifter gears.

Reattach the four bolts on the shift cover plate, then bend the bare end of the loom tight, and out of the way. Once bent, it will not move, since it is 12ga wiring.

Plug back in the gear position indicator light

- Reinstall the center console, and trim.

Enjoy your new updated look!!

NOTE: The Sedan shifter is different, and looks as if it sits a little higher than the coupe/gs shifter. I haven't test fitted this setup to a sedan shifter, so I may need to make adjustments to the height of the boot.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
EvrLGND

EvrLGND is on a distinguished road

Got my boot today and installed it. Thanks Abe! I finally got that knob on.
EvrLGND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrLGND View Post
Got my boot today and installed it. Thanks Abe! I finally got that knob on.
That was some quick shipping, sweet!! Take a pic .
Old 03-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
GHOST ACKNUP
GHOST ACKNUP

I want 1

#382 1995 GS6MT
GHOST ACKNUP is offline   Reply With Quote